Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Default Floyd Rose NIGHTMARE in BRAND NEW EVH Charvel

After 6 months of waiting, my R/W/B striped EVH Charvel came last night - FINALLY.

I go to the store with my brother who bought this for me as a gift (yes, he's the greatest brother in the world and completely nuts, too) and I actually opened the box and was the first to touch this baby.

It's light, gorgeous, and sounds unbelieveably good. It's THE 80s-era VH guitar sound, no question.

I noticed immediately that the guitar needed a set up and was BADLY out of tune. This is a FAR cry from how the Peavey Wolfgangs were shipped, set up and in tune.

I got it home and adjusted the bridge posts and noticed the bushing/post on the low E string side was not flush with the body like the post on the other end by the high E string.

I tightened the bolt and started to play... One whammy bar dive and BAM - the bridge starts to come up off the body. It turns out the bushing of the post I JUST adjusted is NOT secure in the body. It's loose and MOVES whenever I do a whammy bar dive. I can't believe this!! I've never seen this problem in a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge before.

I am going back to the store today, but I called Charvel to complain. The rep said they rarely take back guitars if ever, and it likely just requires some glue to fix. Is this any response to give someone who just bought a $2500 guitar 12 hours ago? Are they kidding me?? I'm flipping out cause otherwise this is an extremely kickass guitar - amazing neck, super lightweight body, totally VH in every way. BUT WTF????

The guys at my local store are cool and really can't believe it. I know they'll take care of this for me, but I gotta say I'm pissed and freaked out by the whole thing. I own 2 EBMMs and a Peavey Wolfgang in addition to Strats, a Tele, and other guitars... This sucks.

A buddy of mine who is an awesome guitar tech and EVH expert says it's not a big deal and the glue fix is the way to go. In fact, he said I shouldn't send the guitar back because the R/W/B models are so rare I may not get a replacement before they stop production.
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'd be EXTREMELY PISSED if I unloaded that kind of scratch on a guitar and there was ANYTHING wrong with it. That's RIDICULOUS...

For $2500, that thing better show up at my door not only in MINT condition, but it better be able to do my dishes and fucking laundry...

At the very least, Charvel oughta be bending over backwards to make this right for you...
    Last edited by sixstring; 03.09.06 at 10:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

damn straight...........

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

i'm itching to get the hell out of work so i can take it back to the store.

I should specify, when the post comes up off the body, it's probably less than a milimeter shift. However, this makes a big friggin' difference in action and intonation.

There's no reason why this guitar shouldn't be rock solid. Charvel, in an effort to not take the guitar back, gave me the number of an "authorized" Charvel guitar tech in my neighborhood other than my dealer where my brother bought the EVH. I called this guy and he did nothing but rip into Fender and Charvel. He says Fenders are such crap he refuses to carry the line in his shop any more.

Now, I understand full well that Fender is not the same company it was when Leo Fender was running the show. It's a major corporate clusterfuck just like most companies seem to be these days. That said, I've got a '69 custom shop strat and a '52 Tele reissue and both are simply fantastic.

I've been on a hell of an emotional roller coaster over this. I was shocked my brother bought it for me, and it wasn't here in time for Christmas so that kind of put a damper on things.. Then it was supposed to come in January, but here we are in March and when the guitar finally arrives, it's faulty. I was too freakin' excited in the store to understand the problem was in the mounting of the bridge. I thought it was simply a set up issue and I'd fix it as I broke in the guitar....

SHit. I'm just spewing now.. I gues it's therapeutic. I can't wait to get the hell out of work to go take care of this!!
    -VanEdge

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You need to make sure the hole for that post is drilled deep enough for the post to sit flush. Otherwise, you'll have other problems as well.

This is really sad to hear.
    Someone I know owns two Art Series guitars.
    He said the first one he received was perfect.
    When he received the second one (R/B/W by coincidence), he told me it sounded "muddy" and the setup was horrible.

He sent it to me and sure enough ... it sounded muddy and had a bad setup.
    We ended up swapping the pickup (which BTW, was the same as in his first Art Series B/W) and I gave it a setup.

Quality control issues?
    One would think for $2500, they would at least plug em in and inspect them before they shipped, but apparently not.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:20 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Damn VE, that does suck. I gotta agree with Six and the others on the response Charvel gave you about your problem. I bought one of these guitars back in Sept '05 (R/B/W) serial #1238, and the thing is a great guitar like you said. Lightweight, smooth neck, with all the bling bling. Shreveport Music got 3 of them in, 2 R/B/W and 1 Bumble Bee. My guitar, out of the case, was ready to play, and I haven't had 1 bit of trouble from it since. It saddens me that you are having to deal with this, esp after the wait you had to go through, to get the damn thing.

I would have jumped into the Charvel reps ass, for not being more concerned about your problem. But, if your guys at your local music store are willing to get ya fixed up, good for them. That's just good business. However, it's sad that Charvel can't give you the same attention.

Hope all turns out ok for you VE, and I'm sure it will.

HH <----Hates when a bruth linkie get "Dissed" by a "Company"----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

VanEdge,

Companies like this sell boatloads of gear and most of the time there is no
    complaint. They are full aware that issues can arise with the quality of their product, and their number one focus when such issue DOES arise is to solve the problem with the least amount of $$ and effort.

Let's face the facts. The guitar probably cost them MAYBE $300-$400 to build (if not less). You bought this guitar in good faith that the guitar would be free of defects. According to you, it is not. Therefore, if I were you, I would not settle for anything else than what you are seeking. If you want a new guitar, tell them to get you a new guitar that is free from defects. It's not breaking their bank.

Good Luck.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Sorry to hear that. For that amount of money, there should be no issues with the guitar when you open up the box. On principal, Charvel should take care of you no questions asked, and cover all the shipping costs etc. But sending back the guitar, well, who knows what can happen. Realistically, if your tech buddy can set you straight, I would go that route and save yourself a great deal of headache. There is nothing worse than poor customer service, no matter what amount of money is involved. If an honest customer receives a flawed product, he or she should be taken care of immediately, no questions asked, and treated properly. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience, or if this kind of response was an isolated thing. Hope everything works out for you, those look like sweet guitars.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'd get back at Charvel by posting this experience at harmony-central.com...That sucks, VE...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I feel badly for ya. It looks like Eddie's days of being a Quality Control freak have long gone by the wayside...

Hell, Eddie probably doesn't remember even signing a contract to have Charvel build "guitars" for him...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Default A happy ending!

Guys,

Thanks for all your support and advice.

I'm very happy to say that I went to my store immediately after work and the owner personally took care of me. I've been going there since I was about 15 years old and this is what separates the mom & pop stores from the big chains.

Anyway, Norm (the owner) was really surprised and miffed that the guitar left the factory and passed inspection like that. (He was not in the store when I picked it up the day before.) He said he could fix it and there was nothing to worry about.

As it turns out, BOTH post bushings were not inserted fully into the body. Therefore, no amount of adjustment would work until the bushings were fully inserted. This is why the bridge would come away from the body with any Whammy Bar action. Norm took the whole bridge off the body and worked on the posts until they were in the correct position. It didn't require any glue or anything like that. The posts simply had to be installed correctly. 15 minutes later, he handed me my guitar and I gotta tell you, what a difference! This thing KICKS ASS. I'm so relieved I can't explain it.

So, it seems the person who really deserves blame is whoever let this guitar pass inspection and leave the factory. Had the guitar been examined correctly in the first place, this whole episode could have been avoided.

In the end, I'm a very happy guy. And I'm even happier to have received such good support from my dealer. He doesn't have much up on the web but he can get just about anything and ships anywhere. I suggest you guys check him out -- especially if you are in the NYC area. You can't beat this kind of hands-on service. Here's a link: Norm's Music They also do eBay auctions so if you see any of them, I can vouch for them being a stand-up seller.

Thanks again guys... and make sure you inspect any new guitar with a fine tooth comb before you leave the store!
    Last edited by VanEdge; 03.09.06 at 06:50 PM.
    -VanEdge

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:20 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Excellent news VE. I knew you'd be up and running in no time flat. Now then, log off the internet this evening, and go enjoy your new toy.

HH <----------Kick Ass VE-------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just a bump, great story.

Charvel should know better.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    I'd get back at Charvel by posting this experience at harmony-central.com...That sucks, VE...

Yeh, that would really show them...........(where's the laughing smilie?)
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

The head guy for Fender Specialty Sales department that inspects and sets up guitars before they ship lives in my hometown, and I run into him at the store I work at. He actually went to 5150 to work with Ed on how the guitars should be set up (he said Eddie ran at him and kissed him on the cheek when he drove up to his house--it was the first time they'd ever met), and even worked with Eddie on some of his own guitars. He's a pretty cool guy, so next time, if I remember when I see him, I'll ask him about this whole thing...