Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Roth airs wrath after bosses' Stern lecture

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/st...7p-337244c.html

Morning host David Lee Roth of WFNY (92.3 FM) spent four hours yesterday telling his bosses where they could stick their ideas for improving his low-rated show.

"They want me to copy Howard [Stern]," Roth said. "But I refuse to regiment this show. ... I told them I would quit if they will not let me do what I was hired to do, which is create something unique."

He referred to station manager Tom Chiusano and programming vice president Mark Chernoff, who met with him Tuesday, in terms that included "social retards," "beige baby-food sissies," "stooge" and "an ugly little dysfunctional worm."

He said they told him he should appeal to "a 35-year-old white male who likes Lynyrd Skynyrd" and asked him to stop using "foreign" and "ethnic" music for soundbeds.

He called that notion "racist," saying, "This show isn't designed for a demographic. It's for everyone."

This was hardly the first time Chiusano and Chernoff, who have worked for years with Stern and Don Imus, have been used as punching bags by their air talent.

"We are involved with all of our talent in working on their programs," a CBS Radio spokeswoman said.

The question is whether they will take as much from a fledgling host as they have from veterans earning millions of dollars for the company.

Officials at WFNY's parent, CBS, privately expressed concern with some of Roth's remarks.

Roth said he was told he will soon have a female newscaster who will read stories he can comment on.

"That's Robin Quivers," he said. "But there's only one Robin Quivers. Just like there's only one Howard and only one David Lee Roth."

He conceded that for his first four weeks, during which time his ratings took a steep plunge from Stern's levels, "I was like a fish flopping around at the end of a stick."

But he said he's a quick study and quoted Stern's comment to Sean Hannity on The Fox News Channel that a new show can't be judged for "15-20 months."

"Howard took his old audience," said Roth. "We're after a new one."

Ironically, Roth's rebellious rage yesterday drew on the same technique Stern has used for years: vilifying the boss as a means of bonding with every listener who has ever thought his or her own boss is an ugly little dysfunctional worm.

At the end of the show, Roth said, "I hope I'll be back tomorrow."

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:43 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Anyone know when he's back then?? Sure he'll have something to say over the recent EVH pics!

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Dave said the funniest thing this morning. I don't have the exact quote but he was talking about if VH went out on tour again they could easily make the music sound as good as it was it the late seventies. He then said if a current band went out and tried to play the same type of music (Classic rock) in today's musical climate they would be...The Darkness. LMAO

See everyone, even DLR recognizes that The Darkness suck!
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:52 AM
    Liked 571 Times in 312 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tankman
    Anyone know when he's back then?? Sure he'll have something to say over the recent EVH pics!
    What the hell is he going to say? Roth doesn't look any better, and hasn't for awhile now.
    It's just that Eddie's looks have gone downhill more abruptly. They both look like hell, which I would think is normal for rockers their age.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

They told him to be more like Stern, which he doesn't want to do. Then he goes off on his bosses, just like Stern does..........
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's the beginning of the end for this show.

Geez, what's wrong with these two guys???

Ed and Dave, PLAY NICE YA BASTARDS!!!
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And I guarantee that if ANY of us posters were to call their boss a "an ugly little dysfunctional worm" we'd be like Abe Lincoln...history

Is it too much to compromise for this ass? "C'mon Dave give me a break" you don't own the friggin station. Push the edge within the parameters but don't spout off at your team

I'm the first in line at a Dave concert but this ego's gotta go if he's to succeed at anything. This is obviously a main reason why Ed tried three freakin times with Dave and it failed. Ed's not innocent eitheer, but this ego thing is a hang up for sure
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen
    They told him to be more like Stern, which he doesn't want to do. Then he goes off on his bosses, just like Stern does..........

Not sure why anyone involved is surprised at this. Roth should have known they wanted someone to fill Stern's shoes and management should have known that Roth (or anyone who is not a well known Radio dj) wasn't the guy.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

im all for dlr railing against his execs. He has to remain true to his vision.
    I listened to Howard when he first started out on am radio. noone was listening and he would spend hours just going off, yelling at staff, railing on the boss, railing on the callers, etc..sooner or later, people began to relate. Sure, stern began the trend of talkshow hosts railing against their bosses, but not as a gimmick. it was honest feeling. He doesnt own the exclusive right to that..that's a normal american function..to rip ur boss!
    So dlr doing it is not copying howard, its being honest and open.
    DLR isnt interested in being a highpaid dj..he's interested in creating something new.He's willing to go to the mattresses and lose his job in pursuit of that. You gotta respect that integrity.
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    So dlr doing it is not copying howard, its being honest and open.
    No one said he copied Stern, it's just funny that he goes on this long rant about not wanting to be like Stern, but the rant itself is very Stern-esque.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

This is all a ruse.

Dave is not in trouble with his boss. Just making it out to look that way so he can be like Howard.

It draws ratings and is probably what they told him to start doing.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb
    What the hell is he going to say? Roth doesn't look any better, and hasn't for awhile now.
    It's just that Eddie's looks have gone downhill more abruptly. They both look like hell, which I would think is normal for rockers their age.
    Besides the hair, Dave looks the same. He is still in top physical condition. However, the big open-mouth smile just DOESN'T work for him anymore. Whatever.

Van Halen is like a pizza, and Dave is the ham.

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I'm sure it only matters to the tens of people listening.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    No one said he copied Stern, it's just funny that he goes on this long rant about not wanting to be like Stern, but the rant itself is very Stern-esque.

i completely understand what ur saying, but that means anyone who complains is copying Stern. Stern was so innovative, etc, that most of what he does is going to be copied without anyone intentionally trying to. Its all so natural and accepted now.

Kinda like EVH. he did so much for the guitar, you cant help but have his influence somewhere!

Now, if ur point is that he is intentionally trying to be like stern, i couldnt say because i dont know..but its not a bad thing to imitate
    He could always copy the two dorks...

man, all dlr has to do is dial ed's phone on the air..the ratings would go through the freakin roof!
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    i completely understand what ur saying, but that means anyone who complains is copying Stern.
    No, that's not what that means at all.