Register
    Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Default Thinking of picking up bass guitar, any advice?

So, for some reason I've had a craving recently to play a bass guitar. I've been playing air bass on every van halen song for about 10 years now. And of course, Mikey being my hero and all.....
    I've got my gear picked out already. The reviews on this package are very good for beginners.

I have no guitar experience at all, in fact, I'm kind of afraid that my fingers are too short to get around the neck, but we'll see.. I have limited keyboard experience, so it's not like im starting totally from scratch.
    Anyone have some starting up advice?
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Last Online

02.01.07 @ 09:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started playing bass about 5 years ago. My best advice to you is to start off
    with a real basic song like "Comfortably Numb" and progress into something like "Running With the Devil". Who can deny that intro thump to the "E" string....bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump.......anyways good luck and I hope you find what you were looking for!!
    "Give me some more fucking feedback Johnny"!!--DLR

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

my suggestion is to take a lesson from sixstring. i bought a bass in 95, and he taught me a few things(actually alot) and 3 weeks later we had a band with local gigs. Bill is the man.

let me add one thing: bass is easy to learn, yet hard to master. i have yet to master the bass, but i can hold my own. learn your scales, and its butter from there.
    Last edited by sisca; 03.01.06 at 02:02 AM.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

ď Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) Ē FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

Thanks for the support & advice guys. Im hoping to get going on some classic rock tunes, although I understandably not shooting for Hotel California just yet. (One of my favorite bass lines by the way.) I'm hoping to learn Nothing Else Matters, Those Shoes, and Poundcake among others. I told my brother I bought the thing just go I can do fret slides every three seconds on every song I like. Haha
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sisca
    my suggestion is to take a lesson from sixstring. i bought a bass in 95, and he taught me a few things(actually alot) and 3 weeks later we had a band with local gigs. Bill is the man.

let me add one thing: bass is easy to learn, yet hard to master. i have yet to master the bass, but i can hold my own. learn your scales, and its butter from there.
    LOL! Thanks, bro! It helps when you have a student that's easy to teach...

Fifty - good for you! Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to help you out best I can...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sisca
    let me add one thing: bass is easy to learn, yet hard to master..
    Wow. I believe that. I've been watching the Toronto PPV and studying Mikey, particularly the solo to Amsterdam. Maybe I'll start out with Mary Has A Little Lamb. I've already mastered that on touchtone telephones. (Good way to annoy the telemarketers and blame it on tourettes.)

I think my biggest fear is my hands not being able to stretch properly. I have what you call 'meaty hands'

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyoneFtfty
    Thanks for the support & advice guys. Im hoping to get going on some classic rock tunes, although I understandably not shooting for Hotel California just yet. (One of my favorite bass lines by the way.) I'm hoping to learn Nothing Else Matters, Those Shoes, and Poundcake among others. I told my brother I bought the thing just go I can do fret slides every three seconds on every song I like. Haha
    You know what, Poundcake can be a bitch. He play's 16th notes all the way through that thing, it's a workout.

I have been playing bass and guitar for about 17 years now, it's a fun hobby for me.

Im not sure how much that package cost's but here is another alternative:

Bass Pod:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINE-6-BASS-POD-...QQcmdZViewItem

I had one of these up until a few month's ago, the price is pretty reasonable used and there pretty easy to figure out with the manual. You can nail just about any recorded bass sound, that's not going to happen with a starter amp. It has a stereo headphone out as well, I used to jam to a song using my computer with one of the headphone ear's off so I could hear the bass and the song togethor. It didn't bother the girlfriend so that was great. You can get them used on ebay for about $100.00 now, they used to sell for $300.00 new.

As far as a bass is concerned, a MIM Jazz bass off of Ebay would be nice, they sell for between $280.00 and $350.00 used, they actually hold their value pretty well.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend of mine just picked up a $200 Ibanez bass from Guitar Center with active pickups (sorry, I don't know the model #) and I was amazed at the clarity on that thing. It played very well for an instrument that no one really did a setup on except at the factory. I would recommend playing one of those while you're shopping.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by HipCat5
    A friend of mine just picked up a $200 Ibanez bass from Guitar Center with active pickups (sorry, I don't know the model #) and I was amazed at the clarity on that thing. It played very well for an instrument that no one really did a setup on except at the factory. I would recommend playing one of those while you're shopping.
    That's what I got. It's basically a Ibanez starter kit. I got it from Musicians Friend.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

Well, three weeks later and I think I've got a song or two down: Metallica - Nothing Else Matters and Eagles - Victim of Love. Im having trouble stretching my sausage fingers across the fretboard, but Im doing stretching out while practicing about 4 hours a day.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

If you need to strengthen your fingers, try squeezing a tennis ball or something like that.

Scott.