Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Police kills teen leaving IHOP after skipping out on check...

Washington Post Staff Writers
    Monday, February 27, 2006; Page B01

Aaron Brown's music textbook, "The Grateful Dead: Annotated Lyrics," still lay yesterday on the living room coffee table, where the 18-year-old college student had left it. Photos of the grinning, long-haired Eagle Scout were on nearly every surface of his family's small, single-story Springfield home, with images of a shirtless Aaron on stage with his guitar, a tuxedoed Aaron at the prom, Aaron posing with his parents.

And everywhere were the regrets.

"We are devastated," Jeff Brown said last night. "We can't believe our beautiful son is dead over a stupid check."

Aaron Brown was shot about 3:40 a.m. Saturday by an off-duty Alexandria police officer in the parking lot of an International House of Pancakes on Duke Street near Landmark Mall. An IHOP employee had told the officer that Brown and three friends left the restaurant without paying.

The officer, who was in uniform and working security at the restaurant, tried to stop their 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee and said it was threatening to hit him when he fired, according to police.

"The car was coming toward him, and he was in fear for his life," Amy Bertsch, an Alexandria police spokeswoman, said yesterday.

The driver, Stephen J. Smith, 19, of Alexandria, was later charged with driving while intoxicated and possession of marijuana.

As Brown's fellow graduates from Annandale High School railed against the unidentified officer and Smith yesterday, Jeff and Cheri Brown set a more conciliatory tone. They said they were more haunted than angry that "such a lovable soul" could be gone so quickly.

"As far as the officer feeling threatened, that's what he said he felt; we weren't there," said Jeff Brown, who has the same long, brown hair, round face and warm brown eyes as his son.

Cheri Brown said she hadn't spoken with Smith, a friend of her son's since middle school and the one at the wheel of Jeff Brown's Cherokee when the officer shot. "But I'm sure he's going through a tough time," she said.

There was a very different reaction earlier in front of the dreary, pink stucco building that houses the restaurant and a Comfort Inn. Brunch-goers passed a makeshift memorial of photos of Brown and bunches of roses flapping in the frigid wind.

"The cop is to blame. I want his badge," said Susan Rauch, 19. She attended Northern Virginia Community College with Brown, traveled to Germany with him last summer with the Annandale high school choir and had gone to the prom with him and a group of other students.

You step in front of a car, and obviously, you are going to feel in danger," she said. "That cop just ended what would have been an amazing future."

Rauch and Katie Burton, 18, another Annandale graduate, seethed as they looked at the memorial. They questioned the statement by police that the young men had left the restaurant without paying. One theory circulating yesterday among family and friends was that the four had left the money on the table instead of paying at the register.

"Aaron was one of those guys you'll never find again," Rauch said as Burton nodded. They described him as constantly cracking jokes, dancing, laughing down the school's hallways. They said he was handsome, an amazing guitarist and the kind of friend you could come to if you were having a "little breakdown."

"He was one of those guys that if you were a girl, you'd be lucky to date," Rauch said. "He had long hair, so people thought of him as a rocker, but everyone loved him: the preps, the rockers -- everyone."

Bertsch, the police spokeswoman, wouldn't go into much detail about the shooting, saying the department is conducting a criminal investigation as well as an internal one. The case will be reviewed by the FBI for possible civil rights violations, something she said is standard for deadly force or other high-profile cases.

"Obviously, the officer is under investigation, and a young man is dead," Bertsch said. "To be fair, we would never discuss eyewitness accounts."

As about 20 friends and relatives clung to one another at the Brown home last night and sobbed, his parents spoke calmly about wanting people to donate money to a charity, Guitars Not Guns, instead of giving flowers. The group gives music lessons to at-risk youngsters.

The Browns said, however, that they will pursue unanswered questions.

They said that they were not told promptly about the location of their son's body and that they believe he would have liked to donate his organs. Police also told them that four or five bullets hit the car, including one in the driver's side rear door and one on a rear quarter-panel.

"How could that happen if the vehicle was coming straight at him?" Jeff Brown asked.

They said they would await the investigation but were inclined to view the shooting as an overreaction.

"If their policy in a situation like this is to throw themselves in front of a moving vehicle and then use deadly force, maybe that policy needs to be reviewed," Jeff Brown said.

Dozens of people debated the question of responsibility on the Web site for WJLA (Channel 7), with some defending the officer and others questioning the use of force. Some said they were simply in mourning.

"A lot of it just doesn't make sense," said Colin Agnew, 20. "All I know is one of my best friends is dead."

Agnew said he and Brown became blood brothers at a scouting event last year, when they were throwing away some crab claws.

"He cut the back of his hand, and he cut my palm," Agnew said. "He grabbed my hand and slapped it down on his. It was just something really personal and an intimate moment between us. No matter what happens now, part of him is with me."

Agnew said he met Brown when they were students at North Springfield Elementary School. They were in Eagle Scouts together for a year before Brown sat next to Agnew one day on the bus and said: "Hi, my name's Aaron. What troop are you in?" Agnew recalled yesterday. "I said, 'We've been in the same troop for a year, you moron.' "

The friendship was sealed. Agnew said Brown didn't have "a bad bone in him. He wouldn't say anything bad about anybody unless it was a celebrity he didn't like. There wasn't a way you couldn't like him."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

That is EFFFFFFF'd UP!! I think the cop over reacted, why not just move out of the way and memorize the license plate.

Dont get me wrong I supporter of the Cops in general but this is stupid!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Cops are always (over) defending themselves aren't they. Sometimes they get a bit over the top with defending themselves, IMO.

Whattabout the public's safety?
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

if I gave my real opinion, it would start one of those threads that last forever and lose touch of the orignal subject.

lets just say I have ZERO tolerence for breaking the law. and ZERO tolerence for someone attempting, pretending, acting like they are going to cause serious harm to someone else.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I agree MM. The only reason I made the comment is because there have been three shootings that I know of within my community where the cop shot the suspect which resulted in fatalities in all incidents. All of the cops in question said they acted in self-defense.

Where does one draw the line between shooting to injure the suspect (incapacitate (?) to disable the suspect - like shooting them in the leg or arm) and shoot to kill?

I agree tho, a whole 'nother thread for this debate so that's all I'm gonna say. I just wanted to explain why I made that comment b/c we lost three young men in the name of self-defense by the police officer in each shooting. These were all different incidents, different circumstances, etc.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being / SGMAD
    Last Online

07.29.15 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cop did the right thing.....hey....he's going home after his shift.....someone wants to drive at him.....oh well.......
    Van Halen Is: Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, David Lee Roth, Gary Cherone

They will be back.....

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Thats just fucked up. If you see a moving car coming at you, get out of the fucking way!
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead
    lets just say I have ZERO tolerence for breaking the law. and ZERO tolerence for someone attempting, pretending, acting like they are going to cause serious harm to someone else.
    I agree with you 100%. I guess I would like to know more of the specifics. Who knows if the kids saw him standing there or not. I still think the cop should have moved aside and gotten the plate number.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

So are some of you guys saying that it's ok someone got killed over not paying a bill?

We don't know anything concerning any of this, but since that cop is supposed to be a professional and he put himself into that situation, he better be damned sure he was completely in the right.

So many people seem to give people like this the benefit of the doubt based on their job. Either it's a military person committing a crime in a time of war (I can say this having been a Marine for 14 years), or a cop obviously making a mistake and killing a person over an unpaid check.

I used to be an Aircraft Logs and Records Clerk, out of the thousands of aircraft component cards I had to screen in my time say I actually screwed up one that resulted in a person's death. Should I get a free pass because I was bound to make a mistake sometime?

I think a lot of cops get away with a lot of crimes because they know how to get away with them, and that regular people like us just give them a pass because we think their job is harder then our's.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Well, if it were me....

I have a gun. I have a badge. My kind is typically targeted by fuckrags looking for trouble.

You are in a vehicle. You have it pointed at me and mobile. You may not intend to harm me, but I have NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT.

Ergo....I am going to shoot you until the vehicle stops.

If you die, the fault is yours for being a dumbass helming a two-ton weapon. Has zip to do with an upaid check at this point.

End of story.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT, II, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

AS IS
    Last Online

05.26.15 @ 05:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I slighty tend to agree with Lowlife. Plus its not like you can outrun and get out of the way of an oncoming car and still expect to get a license plate.
    Last edited by HuBBs5150; 02.28.06 at 08:49 PM.
    -----HuBBs5150-----

"Meet us in the future not the pasture!" - DLR, Aug 13th 2007

What is GamingVision?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

...how tragic.... I hope to see the cop-car DVR video to determine of this was an execution of a dead head, just for looking like a hippie. I am withholding judgement, but if it shows the cop is out of control, I think cops everywhere need more excersize or something to reduce their stress reactions.

I'm going to edit this to say that the technology is there to 'shoot' a car with a frequency that disables its electrical system, and will stop it from delivering spark to the engine, but the Governator types are too Gdarn stupid to let the cops use it. This should be in the Dumb Cops thread; IMO.
    Last edited by Phatie; 02.28.06 at 08:55 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum
    Well, if it were me....

I have a gun. I have a badge. My kind is typically targeted by fuckrags looking for trouble.

You are in a vehicle. You have it pointed at me and mobile. You may not intend to harm me, but I have NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT.

Ergo....I am going to shoot you until the vehicle stops.

If you die, the fault is yours for being a dumbass helming a two-ton weapon. Has zip to do with an upaid check at this point.

End of story.
    Why are you assuming it went down like that?

Every month we have an actual video of Cops just kicking the shit out of people that are not resisting. Hell, when I was stationed on the East Coast I had a bunch of cop friends that I played Softball with, they liked to hang outside at a local bar just waiting for people to come stumbling out so they could use it as an excuse to kick the shit out of them. They did this nearly every week, most of the people that hung out at the place knew the deal but for some reason they would always get some stupid Marine that didn't.

It's a pretty simple story here, no matter what this kid did he deserves to be alive right this second. I think people are losing sight of that, imagine that one of your buddies screws up, just like this kid did, now imagine him shot in the head for it. I don't think anybody deserves to have there brains blown out of there skull. Fuck, I bet that most people on this board have dined and dashed, do you think you deserved to die for it if you were caught?

Hell, if some of you guys are talking about having no sympathy for crime, what about the cop, is it legal for him to confront someone based on such little facts at the time and end up shooting that person to death?

I think a lot of this cop nut hugging would stop if some of you guys got the living shit kicked out of you because you didn't understand in a milisecond what the cop wanted you to do.

Another story, I was at a party at some girl's house back in '93, it got broken up by the cops after a while, I guess one of the guys that was there called a buddy to come pick him up, this dude came walking up to the house not knowing anything about the cops being there, some cop came up to him and started screaming at him to turn around and walk away, this kid evidently tried to explain to the police officer that he wasn't at the party but he need to pick up his buddy. Actually he got about 2 words out of his mouth before the cop did some Bruce Lee move on him and smashed all his front teeth out on the street. Real cool, guess what happened to the cop, not shit.

These internal investigation's are a crock of shit, unless they did something shitty to another cop there probably going to get off with a slap on the wrist, if that.

Anyway, im done with this crap. I will say that I hope some of you people experience first hand how freaking unfair it can be when dealing with the Police in cases just like this one.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I remember a night in 1984 when I was the only one rational, so I was responsible, and this cop threw me - cuffed - down a flight of stairs. At trial the judge wanted to talk about it, and I didn't except to say that he did lose it, and had to call someone before he blew my ass away for a case of PANAMA on a set of Bose 901s

BUT the 4 times I was allowed to just walk home when I was driving made up for all this, except dudes; chill the fuck out please and put the gdamn safety on. taser those who won't listen to reason.

Other wise; Ladies please hug cops when you see them, invite them home and make them happy so they don't kill the rest of us... .. thx

ph@