Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Aftershock/Humans Being
    Last Online

02.27.06 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Gary Cherone?

What does van halen fans got against Gary Cherone and his attempt with Van Halen? I thought it was a great album.....so what if it's different. If you notice, when they switch between DLR and the Red Rocker, the sound matured so much between 1984 and 5150....so it only makes sense to go in a different direction when Gary Cherone entered the band. Everyone blames Gary for the album sounding "different" but in all reality, Gary just wrote the lyrics, it was Alex, Eddie, and Mike that wrote the music that seemed to have turned everyone away. I love this album, I get tired at times of hearing the same Van Halen sound, it's nice to hear them go in a different direction. Even if Gary Cherone wasn't the lead singer then, it would be someone else you hate.....the bottom line is, I don't think we should give Gary a hard time. A true Van Halen fan loves and respects every decision the band makes....I certainly do. Quite frankly, I like Van Halen III better than most of David Lee Roth's albums like WACF and Fair Warning, to name a few.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by caustic04
    Quite frankly, I like Van Halen III better than most of David Lee Roth's albums like WACF and Fair Warning, to name a few.
    Like clockwork. Once a month, without fail.

Yes, III is far superior to Fair Warning.

And now, without further ado....

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

wow - great first post...

here's your cookie
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Once
    Last Online

12.17.12 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

VHIII is a brilliant album. Why won't Eddie give Gary a call?

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It all depends on the listener. Tastes, styles, and music change with the decades. That's the beauty of a band that sticks around past one genre. I'm not gonna to say 3 (the album) was better than some of the CVH...but in my opinion, you take that tour in 98...VH3 wasn't an 80's band, it wasn't a band trying to recapture the way it was before, it wasn't all the same worn out sayings, it was nothing but rock and roll and a voice that brought new life to VH tunes and songs with some depth to them...reunion or not...VH live will never be able to top the sound and the voice that came from the live tour of 3.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

ALL---and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams-unchained
    Last Online

05.28.09 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"A true Van Halen fan loves and respects every decision the band makes....I certainly do. Quite frankly, I like Van Halen III better than most of David Lee Roth's albums like WACF and Fair Warning, to name a few."

A true fan can like whatever the hell he or she may from Van Halen. And cut the crap with VH3 being better than FW or WACF.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What does van halen fans got against Gary Cherone and his attempt with Van Halen? I thought it was a great album.....so what if it's different. If you notice, when they switch between DLR and the Red Rocker, the sound matured so much between 1984 and 5150....so it only makes sense to go in a different direction when Gary Cherone entered the band. Everyone blames Gary for the album sounding "different" but in all reality, Gary just wrote the lyrics, it was Alex, Eddie, and Mike that wrote the music that seemed to have turned everyone away. I love this album, I get tired at times of hearing the same Van Halen sound, it's nice to hear them go in a different direction. Even if Gary Cherone wasn't the lead singer then, it would be someone else you hate.....the bottom line is, I don't think we should give Gary a hard time. A true Van Halen fan loves and respects every decision the band makes....I certainly do. Quite frankly, I like Van Halen III better than most of David Lee Roth's albums like WACF and Fair Warning, to name a few.

Hey welcome aboard my man. Great first post!! Let me ask you a question....what do you think about Nirvana??

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Like clockwork. Once a month, without fail.

Yes, III is far superior to Fair Warning.

And now, without further ado....

Man, oh, man, oh, man, oh, man...Squal, what WOULD you do without threads like these...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What does van halen fans got against Gary Cherone and his attempt with Van Halen? I thought it was a great album.....so what if it's different. If you notice, when they switch between DLR and the Red Rocker, the sound matured so much between 1984 and 5150
    Matured? I have heard the word "aged" used with cheese before, but never "matured". Must be a new sheep academy thing......

....so it only makes sense to go in a different direction when Gary Cherone entered the band. Everyone blames Gary for the album sounding "different" but in all reality, Gary just wrote the lyrics, it was Alex, Eddie, and Mike that wrote the music that seemed to have turned everyone away. I love this album, I get tired at times of hearing the same Van Halen sound, it's nice to hear them go in a different direction.
    And that direction was called "unstructured chaotic horseshit." Oh you're right that Cherone wasn't to blame. Neither was Mikey, as he didn't play a note on the record. What you had was Eddie playing a bunch of crap without Dave or Sammy around to tell him what to do with it. Even the shittiest Van Hagar songs at least had a fucking structure to them. VDIII was more like an unfinished demo that took two years.

Even if Gary Cherone wasn't the lead singer then, it would be someone else you hate.....the bottom line is, I don't think we should give Gary a hard time. A true Van Halen fan loves and respects every decision the band makes....I certainly do. Quite frankly, I like Van Halen III better than most of David Lee Roth's albums like WACF and Fair Warning, to name a few.
    Get your ears checked then.

As for Cherone, I think everybody's over him. Hell I think most of us forget entirely about the entire Van Danniels disaster until some new sheep alias comes along and tries to tell us how wonderful VDIII was

If Cherone was smart, he'd get Nuno and the boys back together, and record the VDIII songs like an actual band would do it. Hell, even I might be impressed with the results.

It's a longshot, but I'd give it a fair listen.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Good ol' Ford.

I think 'unstructured chaotic horseshit' pretty much covers it.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

A true Van Halen fan loves and respects every decision the band makes....I certainly do.
    Well then, I guess you love and respect their decision to not do a freaking thing from 99 to 2003, and since 2004?

Sorry, but your statement is a bunch of crap.

Reminds me of sports fans, particularly college sports when some fans get mad at either players or usually the coach.
    You'll always have some asswipe faction saying "You're not a true fan if you say anything bad about the team. I pull for my team no matter what".

Yeah, and? I guess a true fan should just turn around, bend over and take it sideways when their favorite team or band has a boner, huh?
    No, I'm sure that if my team completely sucks ass, and the coach obviously has no clue I'll just keep donating and buying tickets that supports his sorry ass. And I'll never boo or anything.

Same with Van Halen. I'll always love their music, and they will always be the group I grew up with.
    BUT, when they are fucking up like they are now, doing stupid shit like Eddie with his drinking, or Roth with his constant VH/Eddie bashing on his show (not to mention not being smart enough to play nice so we can have a reunion), or whatever dumb crap the next member pulls...I am damn sure going to call it like it is.
    And here's how it is: VH3 was a mess. Period. This is what happens when you give a mental child like Eddie control. Lots of potential, but it ends up being a mess. He simply isn't capable of handling being in control.
    He used to complain that when Roth or Sammy (particularly Roth) were around, he would get told what to do, what to play, etc, quite a bit...and he didn't like it.
    But that's exactly what needed to happen to get anything resembling a decent song. He needed Dave or Sammy to call the shots.

Same with another band I used to love, GunsNRoses. Axl got complete control....and what happened? No new material since 1991. All original members besides him gone. And no end in sight.
    Remaining members now in a successful rock band w/different singer.
    Axl still making an album he's been working on for ten years. Revolving door for other band members.

Like VH...Eddie in charge....of doing nothing apparently. Dave on the radio. Alex is nowhere to be found.
    Remaining band members Sammy and Mike perpetually on tour w/Sammy's band.
    Remember when Eddie said he had ten album's worth of material ready?
    Now, remember Sammy saying after the tour that all that material was really just a bunch of riffs and different tunes, but none were put together as songs and essentially had no structure?
    But listening to Eddie, you'd have thought all they needed was lyrics and someone to sing them.

Somehow, someone needs to do something to either get him to listen to somebody who knows what they're doing, but get the control away from him.
    He's a genius musically, but I really feel like he's about 8 years old mentally.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You pretty much covered it pacfan...

being a VH fan is like being a sports fan...you may not always love the QB, but you love the team

and if you always think about when the team went to the state championship back in '84...you'll never be happy.

Let's take someone that was 16 when 3 came out...to that person, 3 may be better than some CVH...it's a different time, music changed...just like it did from the 50's to 70's

I'm old enough to remember VH with Roth, but all I have to do is listen to the Roth podcast of the Roth Show when he had Natasha Beddingfield on there...Dave sang all the way through her first song...totally ego feed disrespect...but I still love Dave. Dave needs structure too...

"Like a chiclet to the moon"

I, for one, haven't forgotten the Cherone era...it was the first time that I heard all the words to some Roth songs in a live setting...and on key.

"If Cherone were smart" he wouldn't get back with Nuno, he would keep doing what he feels is right...and not care what a bunch of guys that have never been there think.....

Eruption
    Last Online

09.23.13 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD
    And that direction was called "unstructured chaotic horseshit." Oh you're right that Cherone wasn't to blame. Neither was Mikey, as he didn't play a note on the record. What you had was Eddie playing a bunch of crap without Dave or Sammy around to tell him what to do with it. Even the shittiest Van Hagar songs at least had a fucking structure to them. VDIII was more like an unfinished demo that took two years.
    Agreed.

Oddly enough, I just put Vh3 in my cd player, first time in 2 years. Without You is a chaotic mess that is all over the place and goes nowhere. WTF, three songs in one? I can't get through One I Want. It's brutal. Brings bile to my throat. Skipped from Afar. Listened up to the first verse in Dirty Water Dog then skipped ahead. I didn't listen to Once, I recall that song seems to make me seriously ill. Got halfway through Fire In The Hole. I can't get through that song anymore after reading the many posts here through the years about Gary's sexual orientation and the visual from their Australian concert where Gary is bent over and Eddie looks like he is going to shove his guitar up his ass. I just can't listen to it anymore, and it was the only song I could bare. Even if it was a cliche.
    So, I skipped to Josephina, got as far as verse one then I popped it out of my cd player. Then, I appologized to my cd player for inserting such a piece of crap into it.
    Pacfanweb is right too. Eddie needs help to structure his creative genius, otherwise he is all over the map. But, he may be a narcissist and when things don't go his way, he disappears.
    I have tried to like this cd. I don't. It's horrible. If it were by any other band, I wouldn't own it. I won my copy from a radio station. Sorry Eddie, I think you're brilliant, but where ever your head is, I wish it would come back to reality. I honestly do. Everytime I try to play vh3, it brings back sad memories of '96, and Sammy being kicked out, Roth brought back for a teaser then that piece of crap released in '98. I guess Van Halen ceased to exist in 1996. It's just too bad they couldn't have made a follow up to Balance with Sammy (at that time.) Lyrically, Sammy was his best on balance. Then we had Humans Being. Awesome tune. Can you imagine what an entire cd would have sounded like in the direction they were going? No, we were robbed. Then, DLR is brought in and Me Wise Magic blew me away. CGTSNM was like they never missed a beat. Reminded me of classic VH, no doubt. Imagine what a new DLR/Vh cd would have been like? No, we get VH3 and the crap passed off as music. How do you go from Humans Being, Me Wise Magic and CGTSNM to the music on VH3? Nothing was even remotely close. Even Good Enough on 5150 sounded like VH. I don't get it. I know you may want to change direction, but come on. Quit drinking the cheap wine!

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Blount5150
    I, for one, haven't forgotten the Cherone era...it was the first time that I heard all the words to some Roth songs in a live setting...and on key.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its a good musical album very diverse but it is not CLASSSIC VAN HALEN! and in no way can you say that it is better than FW OR WACF, having said that i like Eddies guitar work on it. CLASSIC VAN HALEN IS WHAT IT IS AND NOTHING COMPARES... NOTHING!