fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Default The Deal

I'm sure that in the past history of this board, there's been a few times where a member has put themselves out there for public consumption, possibly making an ass of themselves or worse. But in those cases, as in this one, i figure it must've been something they needed or wanted to do. So i'm sure im not the first, maybe the last, but honest either way.

As some of you heard, kscum has gone through some changes as LL and I have parted ways.
    My original reaction was to just keep going and make my own station, etc, and that is what i'm gonna do.
    But ive realized over the last couple days that before i can move on, i've got to resolve all of the thoughts and things in my own head first, go through the 7 stages of grieving...
    If I dont, i'm only going to be comparing everything i think of to what i loved about doing kscum, and that wont work.
    For me, i have to be honest and real to be creative. I can be completely sarcastic or what have you, but it has to come from an honest and real place within. As long as im going through the different emotions of 'grieving' over the turn of events, i cant get to that place. I've always worn my heart on my sleeve, so this shouldn't be any surprise to me and i'm actually quite happy that i'm honest enough with myself, as well as smart enough to recognize this within myself and to embrace it. It must be a sign of age or maturity, whatever that may mean.

Nonetheless, indulge me for a few moments so i can get it clear in my mind. You can pour the drinks after.I guess it doesnt help when im listening to all this motown either right now!

Anyway, dont get me wrong, im not devastated or crying or anything extreme..just bummed. I really enjoyed doing the kscum shows, even if noone listened or disagreed with the song choice,theme,etc. For me, it's just something it turns out that i love doing. And from day one, i loved the name. "KSCuM" was/is a stroke of genius in its simplicity and in it's scope of what it opens up. To me, it's an empty pallette on which to spread lots of color..it allows for that while at the same time conveying a concrete, simple idea. It was, in and of itself, my muse..
    Regardless of the why and what happened, the fact remains that im not doing anymore kscum. In it's absence is a void and like VH music, once you've been immersed, it's hard to go without.It's a "labor' of love.
    So I intend to keep doing it, on my own "station", my own way.
    But i have a dilemma. I have to create a name..and as it turns out, much more than that.
    And then again, that's really complicating something that isnt really that complex.
    Normally, i am a very creative person. new idea's flow easily and often and it's part of the passion of life that i enjoy.

In this case, however, the idea's arent flowing and the reason is that i'm comparing everything to "kscum", and that isnt going to work. Its based on faulty thought and motus.
    So ive decided to take a break. Linker's Licks 2, featuring Blind Lemon Loons, is going to be finished and airing either this saturday or next saturday and it will serve as my last KSCuM broadcast. I'm just too far into it to have to start over and change all the voice over and such, so i'll just make this my "swan song", as it were.
    Then i'm gonna take a break for a few weeks, or until i get through the mental process of saying goodbye to one thing and am ready for something new. Only then will I be ready and able to think independently of the KSCuM passion that gripped me and create on my own instead of comparative creating, which is vicarious, but ultimately destructive, at least for me.

So, for whatever reason, i felt it was good therapy to post this spiel of feeling and it turns out, im glad i did. Now i have a clearer understanding of where I am and so do you, to my detriment or my credit.

At least i'll have some time to do some regular posting here, which i havent really been able to do for a while, so that'll be enjoyable.

And then one day, a thread will pop up announcing the name and grand opening of a new station to listen to..like a choice for the masses for a creative and hopefully entertaining way of getting your tuneage, etc. Not a choice of eithr or, but rather of this and that...
    Now this isnt goiing to be something with 3 new threads in each forum or anything like that, so the mods can relax. That's all reserved for the "Official Radio Station of VHLinks", which is KSCum, and rightfully so.
    But i'll be here and you'll know where you can find the shows and all if you're so inclined and life will keep moving forward.

So with that, i feel much better and i appreciate your indulgence of my selfish need to bare my thoughts. But as i stated, it's therapy to put it in black and white and i consider myself amongst friends.
    Feel free to offer your own thoughts, positive, negative or otherwise., as long as it's honest..
    ..or you can just read it, chuckle, form your own opinion and go to the next thread.

Perticelli
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Here's an honest thought: attention whore.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    Here's an honest thought: attention whore.

Anything else to add mike...?

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Pert, WTF happened? I musta missed sumthin'...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

To be perfectly honest, Pert, the Links can probably only sustain one D/L 'radio station' of this style and manner in terms of popularity and interest, and I'd hate to see Scum's original idea lose its luster because of other copycat efforts. To be even more brutally honest with you, it was a bit strange watching you hop on his bandwagon. Scum's a good guy, and his accomodation in letting you in his door was a nice thing to do. While I appreciate your passions in furthering the scope and range of Links activities and offerings, perhaps you should let Scum have that 'corner' of the Links entirely, rather than throwing up similar or competing offerings, or take your own 'radio' ideas to a different arena on another message board, and think of some other fashion, in which you might contribute to this board.

Just my hopefully helpful two cents.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Shit, I still gotta do my Linker's Licks show!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Pert - I know exactly where you're coming from and you're right, it is a process that you will have to work your way through. Saying goodbye to something that was your passion, picking yourself up and starting over is difficult at best.
    Give it some time, take a break. Hang out here for a while and get yourself focused and back on track again.

I understand your frustration in bringing forward new ideas to little acceptance and/or appreciation. We all saw that happen with the festivus. I go through that a lot where I work as well. Just don't lose your focus on the big picture.

And that's my .5 cents.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    To be perfectly honest, Pert, the Links can probably only sustain one D/L 'radio station' of this style and manner in terms of popularity and interest, and I'd hate to see Scum's original idea lose its luster because of other copycat efforts. To be even more brutally honest with you, it was a bit strange watching you hop on his bandwagon. Scum's a good guy, and his accomodation in letting you in his door was a nice thing to do. While I appreciate your passions in furthering the scope and range of Links activities and offerings, perhaps you should let Scum have that 'corner' of the Links entirely, rather than throwing up similar or competing offerings, or take your own 'radio' ideas to a different arena on another message board, and think of some other fashion, in which you might contribute to this board.

Just my hopefully helpful two cents.

Now we're gettin somewhere. Honesty is my favorite thing. Even though i'm afraid you have it a bit wrong, and possibly even subjectively so, i appreciate the honest thoughts and respect that.
    I didnt jump on anyone's bandwagon. I asked if i could join and had to more or less audition for it. If you weren't a fan of my shows, that's cool, but i contributed alot more than just that as well.
    KSCuM will not be in competition with anything. My stuff is one day a week and pretty much completely different from what LL does, which was part of the draw and the beauty of the 'partnership'. I love kscum, always will and will continue to download the shows. I am also aware of the "Official" status he has and am not making any attempt at that and so on. Im not looking to open new threads and such either.
    So the luster wont go away, only my contributions to it. And LL is good enough himself that he wont suffer as a result of this.

Since ur being honest, should i assume by the words in your post that i am not a "good guy" and that my contributions to the board are subpar, except for copycatting, as you say?
    I'd put it like this. If you aren't interested, dont tune in. I happen to love doing it, not only for others, but for myself.If it turns out that everyone thinks like you, then the "market", as it were, will tell us so.In my view, there's room for alot of creativity on this and other message boards and the idea of "room", in the sense you use it, illogical.

but that's only my .02

Shit, I still gotta do my Linker's Licks show!
    Linker's Licks is the cornerstone of what im doing. It's my favorite thing to do by far and it is going to continue. If i do no other shows at all, i will still do linkers licks..AND i hope you still plan on doing it with me..im just waiting til you're ready... let me know!
    Last edited by perticelli; 02.24.06 at 11:05 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like both shows. Pert sometimes plays an older, eclectic mix ala 1979 sometimes I dig on. didn't I hear Pat Traverse in there somewhere? LL has a lot of hair-band mid 90s stuff that I never heard at the time, for whatever reason.

I'm glad this is staying civil, because it was starting to feel just like that moment in school when you contemplated a food fight erupting..

the only true winners in a food fight are these little scoundrels waiting in the wings; one is bad luck, the other eats garbage.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    Now we're gettin somewhere. Honesty is my favorite thing. Even though i'm afraid you have it a bit wrong, and possibly even subjectively so, i appreciate the honest thoughts and respect that.
    I didnt jump on anyone's bandwagon. I asked if i could join and had to more or less audition for it. If you weren't a fan of my shows, that's cool, but i contributed alot more than just that as well.
    KSCuM will not be in competition with anything. My stuff is one day a week and pretty much completely different from what LL does, which was part of the draw and the beauty of the 'partnership'. I love kscum, always will and will continue to download the shows. I am also aware of the "Official" status he has and am not making any attempt at that and so on. Im not looking to open new threads and such either.
    So the luster wont go away, only my contributions to it. And LL is good enough himself that he wont suffer as a result of this.

Since ur being honest, should i assume by the words in your post that i am not a "good guy" and that my contributions to the board are subpar, except for copycatting, as you say?
    I'd put it like this. If you aren't interested, dont tune in. I happen to love doing it, not only for others, but for myself.If it turns out that everyone thinks like you, then the "market", as it were, will tell us so.In my view, there's room for alot of creativity on this and other message boards and the idea of "room", in the sense you use it, illogical.
    Speaking of being subjective...my reply to your post in no way reflected on your continuing contributions to the board being subpar, nor on whether you're a good guy or not. I merely noted - and I might add, I'm hardly the only one - that you seemed to latch onto Scum's idea, with no malice or spotlight hogging intended I'm sure, because you liked the idea and you felt you had quality contributions to add.

I don't think my point was illogical at all. It was Scum's baby, and you wanted to expand on it. Great. It just seems redundant, in the sense that I think Scum had it covered, and what's more, its 'pizzazz' so to speak seem to decrease once your contributions were added, in terms of forum buzz and possibly download activity, although I didn't keep track of the latter, not because your selections and creative choices were anything less than subpar, but because such an elective activity on a message chat board is subject to overload. IMO, of course. Perhaps an indicator of this, although I'm not privy to the real happenings, is the decision you two made to go your separate ways creatively. Obviously it's amicable, but at the same time, maybe you should've just come up with your own ideas in adding to the board.

There was little need for getting defensive. This isn't a self esteem issue. IN MY OPINION, KScum should've been left to its own creator, sink or swim.

It sounds like you're pissy, and if you're still stinging from the Vegas fallout, you should probably accept the fact that organizing a large group of anonymous 'net squids is a lot like herding cattle with a blindfold on. Me, I would've waited to schedule that sort of gathering around a Van Halen/Dave/Sam show, and I would've probably figured, given the lack of interest from mods and admins, it just wasn't gonna fly without more carrots to dangle.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Speaking of being subjective...my reply to your post in no way reflected on your continuing contributions to the board being subpar, nor on whether you're a good guy or not. I merely noted - and I might add, I'm hardly the only one - that you seemed to latch onto Scum's idea, with no malice or spotlight hogging intended I'm sure, because you liked the idea and you felt you had quality contributions to add..
    obviously, im not privvy to all who thought that. And everyone is entitled to an opinion.

[QUOTE]
    I don't think my point was illogical at all

I was referring to the concept of "room" in cyberspace is all...

[QUOTE]
    It was Scum's baby, and you wanted to expand on it. Great. It just seems redundant, in the sense that I think Scum had it covered
    LL and I agreed it was good because we both did such different shows.
    I know it was LL's baby, i've always maintained that, as well as promoted that,to him and to others.Im surprised you find collaboration and teamwork redundant.Sometimes you can improve something that is already good with more creative idea's. Like the RRHOF. It got much better when Lode and Billy joined in.

and what's more, its 'pizzazz' so to speak seem to decrease once your contributions were added, in terms of forum buzz and possibly download activity, although I didn't keep track of the latter, not because your selections and creative choices were anything less than subpar, but because such an elective activity on a message chat board is subject to overload. IMO, of course. Perhaps an indicator of this, although I'm not privy to the real happenings, is the decision you two made to go your separate ways creatively. Obviously it's amicable, but at the same time, maybe you should've just come up with your own ideas in adding to the board

Maybe what you say is true,maybe it lost pizazz. I didnt get many complaints though, if any.maybe everyone is polite?
    As to going our separate ways creatively, that's got nothing to do with it. It was on differences that had nothing to do with the content or creativity of shows.

There was little need for getting defensive. This isn't a self esteem issue. IN MY OPINION, KScum should've been left to its own creator, sink or swim.

It sounds like you're pissy, and if you're still stinging from the Vegas fallout, you should probably accept the fact that organizing a large group of anonymous 'net squids is a lot like herding cattle with a blindfold on. Me, I would've waited to schedule that sort of gathering around a Van Halen/Dave/Sam show, and I would've probably figured, given the lack of interest from mods and admins, it just wasn't gonna fly without more carrots to dangle.
    Unfortunately for some here, I am human and I get defensive sometimes. It's not meant to cut your head off, its a reaction. When there's something i care about, i tend to get reactive..I'm italian, what do you expect, a constant level head?
    As for the festivus, I'm not stinging or pissy about that at all. In fact, i havent thought about it for at least a week, which is nice. I spent alot of time on it, but everyone seemed to shy away. that's life.
    I think maybe you ought to step up sometime, you have alot of good idea's and suggestions on how things can be improved. Stop being judge and get into putting your idea's into action.
    The mods and Admins weren't into it for the most part, but im sure you know nothing of that reality either. And i didnt do it for them. If you remember, therte was a list of people numbering close to 40 or so who wanted to explore the idea.Maybe next time, it'll get better.
    One thing is for sure, if you dont try things, you never know what can be done..and when trying things, if you dont make mistakes, you're either perfect, which im not, or not learning anything. I dont regeret any of it.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Linker's Licks is the cornerstone of what im doing. It's my favorite thing to do by far and it is going to continue. If i do no other shows at all, i will still do linkers licks..AND i hope you still plan on doing it with me..im just waiting til you're ready... let me know!
    KEWL...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Last Online

Donor

I think maybe you ought to step up sometime, you have alot of good idea's and suggestions on how things can be improved. Stop being judge and get into putting your idea's into action.
    The mods and Admins weren't into it for the most part, but im sure you know nothing of that reality either. And i didnt do it for them. If you remember, therte was a list of people numbering close to 40 or so who wanted to explore the idea.Maybe next time, it'll get better.
    One thing is for sure, if you dont try things, you never know what can be done..and when trying things, if you dont make mistakes, you're either perfect, which im not, or not learning anything. I dont regeret any of it.
    Well, if you'll recall, we communicated via PM at the beginning of the whole Vegas spiel, and I strongly suggested that you wait to schedule the thing around a Van Halen family show - Van Halen being the prime longshot, the Punks being the lowest denominator, and more probably a Dave or Sam solo show. You told me in no uncertain terms it didn't matter, that Sin City and the prospect of meeting Linkers face to face was enough motivation. Of course it matters. What better way to get a group of Van Halen fans together than a Van Halen concert? Trust me when I say your gathering would've manifested in a big way had Van Halen been playing in Vegas at the same time. Even enough people would've shown up for a Dave/Sam solo show to get the fifteen rooms. Your efforts were obviously good at heart, but the rationale needed tweaking. Flying cross country to meet a bunch of people you've never met is a slim endeavor...but having that be a side perk of seeing a VH family concert plus doing the Vegas thing, that's something different.

I believe I'm not entirely unknown for speaking up and suggesting actions to put ideas in motion.

If Van Halen ever gets its shit together, and tours again, THAT will be the time for a Linkers' wingding in Las Vegas. It's a shame somebody didn't think of it before summer of '04...hell, they played three times in Vegas, twice in August, once in October. It's funny, Paw and I were there the same weekend, saw the same exact show on the same night, and missed the opportunity to meet face to face.

Timing's everything. I wasn't saying you had to be perfect or to never try new things and make mistakes. Some approaches are better than others, that's all. And as far as KScum, you're a bright enough fellow to understand what I meant.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Timing's everything. I wasn't saying you had to be perfect or to never try new things and make mistakes. Some approaches are better than others, that's all. And as far as KScum, you're a bright enough fellow to understand what I meant.
    Well of course i remember,..but we didnt have any VH show or sam/dave show, or even a punks show..so we went for it and it didnt fly. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. To me, going across country to meet 'strangers' i cyberhang with as much as here sounds great.

And as far as KScum, you're a bright enough fellow to understand what I meant
    No, dont start getting cryptic. You were being honest from the get go, and i really appreciate that. Dont clam up now.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Hate to interrupt you guys, but having the Pub Playlist and Linkers Licks was kinda nice to add to the mix. It was a collaborative effort of our fellow buds here, nothing more, nothing less. Just a chance to play some great music for all of us to hear. I thought it was great.

As far as the festivus, I've made a lot of friends here, I was looking forward to meeting everyone. And it didn't take a VH show to motivate me to go. To me it would've been nice to hang for a while, in a live setting versus here in cyberspace. I'm sorry to see that not everyone else felt this way, that it'd have to take a VH show to bring everyone together. I still don't get that part.

But oh well.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One