Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:16 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

The 'Musician' Interview that annoyed Ed...

Folks,

I found this earlier and it's quite interesting:

http://www.stevemorse.com/interviews...5musician.html

It's the interview Ed did with Musician magazine which hugely annoyed him when he read it - and it's pretty obvious why !!

Enjoy

Ed
    Does the noise in my head bother you ?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Jesus, no wonder Eddie hates doing interviews. Great read, thanks for posting it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think Ed must have banged this dudes wife back in the day or something.

Why write a story about someone you obviously don't like? What purpose does it serve, if your writing for people that don't like Van Halen then what's the point, their not going to read anything about Van Halen anyway.

I remember reading a "review" about a Rush show back in the early 90's, there wasn't one positive thing mentioned. Now I can completely understand why people may not like Rush, or any band, but why in the world would you send someone to cover something that already has such a negative outlook going in?

I hate most 80's hair bands, now if I worked for someone that wanted to cover a Poison concert they probably should not pick me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I remember that article and thought it was fairly objective. Ed got cut
    by some country rockers. So what? Was it a secret that Morse can out-
    pick him?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistere
    I remember that article and thought it was fairly objective. Ed got cut
    by some country rockers. So what? Was it a secret that Morse can out-
    pick him?

Ed and his camp were more pissed about the depiction of Ed drinking beer at 9 a.m at the NAMM show, as well as cutting down the rest of his band.

I remember Ed Leffler calling out a full on Fatwa on this guy after the pice came out.

he went OFF and I believe MUSICIAN even published a letter from Leffler.
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tone
    Ed and his camp were more pissed about the depiction of Ed drinking beer at 9 a.m at the NAMM show,
    Why? I seriously doubt that it wasn't true.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb
    Why? I seriously doubt that it wasn't true.

It was true...........they just felt like they should have been wearing a cup when the article came out...and they weren't. ;o]
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

Last Online

08.02.10 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can't see how that would annoy Ed anymore than perusing this site for 5 minutes would....
    BACK FROM IRAQ!
    OIF II SEPT 17, 2004 -APR 30, 2005

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

In a way I can agree with the general thrust of what the author was trying to put across: It was rather stupid for Ed to show up with a full stack and basically overpower Morse and Lee.

The type of playing on country flavored barn-burners is of a more nuanced, subtle form, and I'm sure Ed's squeals and over-playing must have sounded oddly out of place.

What I don't get is the vibe of general hostility from the guy. He seems more like a fanatic dissappointed with his hero's actions, as if he places Ed on a higher plane and undoubtedly expects more out of him.

Witness the lines regarding the rythm section, stating the musical "inferiority"(for lack of a better word) of Mike Anthony's bass playing and Al Van Halen's drumming(which he back-peddles from when Ed responds in deserved anger).

It's as if the author feels that Van Halen as a band is beneath Ed as a musician.

And it's one thing to say these kinds of remarks on a Van Halen website, where it is more than likely to be an everyday occurence, than it is to write, publish and get paid for it in a nationally available magazine, where it was in fact a cover-story.

The article reeks of the type of adolescent hero worship gone terribly wrong that comes from unhealthy obsession with the subject at hand, that taken to it's inherrant pathological extreme leads us into Mark David Chapman territory.

I found the article somewhat disturbing as a result. Perhaps I read too much into it, maybe someone pissed in the author's Wheaties before he wrote it, or maybe he simply had nothing to say for a cover story and came up with this navel-gazing psuedo-science.

In any event, it certainly was worthy of reading again, thank you for the link.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Interesting interview huh?

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    In a way I can agree with the general thrust of what the author was trying to put across: It was rather stupid for Ed to show up with a full stack and basically overpower Morse and Lee.

The type of playing on country flavored barn-burners is of a more nuanced, subtle form, and I'm sure Ed's squeals and over-playing must have sounded oddly out of place.

What I don't get is the vibe of general hostility from the guy. He seems more like a fanatic dissappointed with his hero's actions, as if he places Ed on a higher plane and undoubtedly expects more out of him.

Witness the lines regarding the rythm section, stating the musical "inferiority"(for lack of a better word) of Mike Anthony's bass playing and Al Van Halen's drumming(which he back-peddles from when Ed responds in deserved anger).

It's as if the author feels that Van Halen as a band is beneath Ed as a musician.

And it's one thing to say these kinds of remarks on a Van Halen website, where it is more than likely to be an everyday occurence, than it is to write, publish and get paid for it in a nationally available magazine, where it was in fact a cover-story.

The article reeks of the type of adolescent hero worship gone terribly wrong that comes from unhealthy obsession with the subject at hand, that taken to it's inherrant pathological extreme leads us into Mark David Chapman territory.

I found the article somewhat disturbing as a result. Perhaps I read too much into it, maybe someone pissed in the author's Wheaties before he wrote it, or maybe he simply had nothing to say for a cover story and came up with this navel-gazing psuedo-science.

In any event, it certainly was worthy of reading again, thank you for the link.

...craig

Great post. It was interesting though. Ed kept his cool about Al and Mike- he could've lost it. I think I would've punched that guy because of what he said, especially if I had good morning buzz from the beer

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.11.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Love to hear a tape of this performance.

I've got a copy of this issue somewhere and I think these three got together as Ed's EBMM guitar was being introduced and the other two were already EBMM players/ endorsees.

Didn't Leffler phone Resnicoff after this was published and call him a 'bad jew' and 'dirty k*ke' and a bunch of other unpleasantry?

It's a good article, but it jumps around a lot -- not often a cover story takes critcal digs at it's subject-but there's some truth there.

"There are times in the set when you know he's just riding his amps where he once might have had something fresh to say, back when he used speed as a release rather than a recourse. "

"But Ed's been caught up in the machine so long they've even got him rused; he expects the same tired questions, responds to his band with the same tired solos, and everything becomes strict black and white."

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jmela
    Love to hear a tape of this performance.

I've got a copy of this issue somewhere and I think these three got together as Ed's EBMM guitar was being introduced and the other two were already EBMM players/ endorsees.

Didn't Leffler phone Resnicoff after this was published and call him a 'bad jew' and 'dirty k*ke' and a bunch of other unpleasantry?

It's a good article, but it jumps around a lot -- not often a cover story takes critcal digs at it's subject-but there's some truth there.

"There are times in the set when you know he's just riding his amps where he once might have had something fresh to say, back when he used speed as a release rather than a recourse. "

"But Ed's been caught up in the machine so long they've even got him rused; he expects the same tired questions, responds to his band with the same tired solos, and everything becomes strict black and white."
    I disagree with one part of that quote. I think Ed was a bit more spontaneous and jammed more in the Sammy era, therefore not doing the same old solos., extending outros, jamming etc

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

I recall reading an interview with Steve Morse in which he talks about how much fun this event was. In particular, he mentioned how he was very impressed with Ed's rythmn playing. However, I agree with the author in that up to that point, Ed hadn't really changed his style or technique much. One of the reasons I find VH III so refreshing is that he seemed to drop the tired, repetitive Van Halen "formula." I also think if Ed did play with more people, he'd expand his abilities. But then again, it's his life and if he doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't have to.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chain
    I recall reading an interview with Steve Morse in which he talks about how much fun this event was. In particular, he mentioned how he was very impressed with Ed's rythmn playing. However, I agree with the author in that up to that point, Ed hadn't really changed his style or technique much. One of the reasons I find VH III so refreshing is that he seemed to drop the tired, repetitive Van Halen "formula." I also think if Ed did play with more people, he'd expand his abilities. But then again, it's his life and if he doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't have to.
    I think he displayed some versatility and did some new things in his playing on songs like "Pleasure Dome" (a hidden gem in my opinion) and "Right Now". Of course that album had not been out yet at the time of the interview. Songs like "Cabo Wabo" and "Finish What Ya Started" off of OU812 were quite different too from what they had done previously. And like I said, he continued to really extend some songs live with his outro soloing and rythmn playing. Just look at "Finish What Ya Started" from RHRN as an example.- lot of blues and flash in the outro.- great version.