Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Oliver Stone defends September 11 movie

Director Oliver Stone says he doesn't know if America is ready for his upcoming film about the September 11 terror attacks, but stresses the movie is a human rather than political account of the tragedy.

The often controversial three-times Oscar-winner said "World Trade Center", to be released this year around the fifth anniversary of the attacks, documented a day in the life of two men trapped at the scene, their rescuers and families.

Speaking to an audience during a question and answer session late Monday at the Bangkok International Film Festival, Stone was asked if Americans were ready for the first major Hollywood film on the subject.

"Is America ready for 9/11? Is America ready for gay sex? I don't know," Stone told the audience, referring to Ang Lee's Oscar-nominated cowboy film "Brokeback Mountain" which has been a surprise hit in US cinemas.

"It's about a rescue and families involved in the rescue. It's really a technical attempt to be realistic about what happened in that building," he said.

Oscar-winning actor Nicolas Cage plays the film's lead role, New York Port Authority policeman Sergeant John McLoughlin, who was trapped along with a fellow officer in the mangled wreckage of one of the twin towers that crumbled after being hit by hijacked passenger jets.

Besides the sensitivity of the subject matter to the American public, industry media have reported that some people linked to the Paramount Pictures project were concerned that Stone may introduce his own politics into the movie.

Stone has been publicly critical of US President George W. Bush's handling of the attacks and their aftermath and in Bangkok told the audience that "the present administration has been a nightmare".

But Stone, whose film "JFK" was condemned in some quarters for pushing the argument that the 1963 assassination of president John F. Kennedy was part of a plot, said there were no conspiracy theories in "World Trade Center".

"No, there's no mention of that because it's truly a 24-hour document of these men's lives," he said.

"They were right at the heart of the destruction ... right in the middle by an elevator shaft. They survived. It's about their rescue and their children at home," Stone added.

Stone said filming had finished two weeks ago, with the last four weeks proving difficult to work in as the set was filled with smoke.

But Stone, who won best director Academy Awards for his war epics "Born On the Fourth Of July" (1989) and "Platoon" (1986) as well as best screenplay for prison drama "Midnight Express" (1978), said making the film had humbled him.

"It was a wonderful experience to go back to working class people and their ordinary lives, the cops and firemen in New York. It was a very humbling experience," he said.

Stone, whose films have aroused controversy ever since "JFK", said the political landscape had changed "radically" under the Bush administration.

"If we get to make films and plays about it, it will be an interesting era to write about," he said.

The September 11 attacks that left a total of around 3,000 people dead in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

The Bangkok film festival, which features 160 movies from some 50 countries, runs until February 27.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I actually like Oliver Stone and his movies. (He's also a very nice guy--I met him at a book signing down at Yale several years back).
    I'm a little skeptical, however, of his decision to make this movie. He is just such a lightning rod for controversy that I'm not sure he should be making this film this soon.
    It won't be the first major motion picture on 9/11. There's a film called "Flight 93" that is supposed to come out in April about the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania.
    "JFK" was an incredible film and one of my favorites. But he hasn't made a film nearly as good since then ('91).
    I'm sure when this movie comes out, he's going to get a lot of shit for it. I just hope I don't get any when I go see it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a movie. If anyone thinks it's in poor taste or too early, don't go see it. I don't see how this is controversial at all. It sounds like he's not pointing the finger at anyone, he's telling a story from a sigle family perspective. Should be rather moving actually. No different than when you would see an interview with a family on 60 minutes or 20/20.
    Last edited by Junior; 02.21.06 at 07:01 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    It's a movie. If anyone thinks it's in poor taste or too early, don't go see it. I don't see how this is controversial at all. It sounds like he's not pointing the finger at anyone, he's telling a story from a sigle family perspective. Should be rather moving actually. No different than when you would see an interview with a family on 60 minutes or 20/20.
    I agree, but Stone can't make a movie without an agenda...And in the case of JFK, he's spectacular at insane arguments which completely ignore history...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

Junior, you don't have to defend him to me. I'll still go see this movie, like I said I like his films.
    All I'm saying is that people tend to throw controversy at Stone and his films. It just seems to follow him around. Hell, even "Alexander" had some controversy with the whole homosexual undertones.
    I think the fact that there is another 9/11 movie coming out before his will lighten the attack from the critics and the families of the victims.
    And, yes, I can see how this film CAN be moving and emotional, but I can also understand how people can be sensitive to the whole thing. But, let's remember that it IS Oliver Stone, perhaps he should be pointing his finger at someone in this movie. Maybe he should be making it a big political film; a Hollywood document of what happened on that fateful day. If anyone is the person to do it, it'd be him.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    I agree, but Stone can't make a movie without an agenda...And in the case of JFK, he's spectacular at insane arguments which completely ignore history...
    OK, here we go. JFK did contain some fictional segments/characters, yes. However the bottom-line of the film was that Oswald did not act alone and there indeed was a conspiracy. I think it's insane to argue against that.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Why is it insane to think that one guy shot the President from less then 100 yards away from a raised position?

I don't want to ruin a perfectly good thread but you conspiracy people have to at least pretend that it could have happended exactly as history claims it happened.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 1,634 Times in 1,004 Posts

Donor

Stone weaves agenda into many of his films, of course. Censorship and Talk Radio. Viet Nam, of course. Violence and media sensationalism in Natural Born Killers. JFK, Nixon, Wall Street, Salvador. But he's a brilliant director, and for some more user friendly fairly agenda-free examples of his work, check out The Doors, Any Given Sunday, and especially the odd yet compelling U-Turn.

Interestingly, he also wrote the screenplays for Midnight Express, Scarface, and Conan the Barbarian.

Stone definitely has a knack for looking in the dark side of the mirror.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Flight 93 is already out. i saw it last week. it was really good.
    im glad films are being made. if all sides present theiri POV, it'll be a good thing. This is America, not China, or iraq or iran or...
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Last Online

First of all, I am not a 'conspiracy person.' However, I do believe that there was more to it than just some "patsy" killing Kennedy. Sure, some of Stone's argument in the movie was a bit far-fetched. But there was too much mysterious information in the whole story; the smoke on the grassy knoll, the direction Kennedy's head moved from the force of the shots, the witnesses, getting 3 accurate shots off in such a short time, the "magic bullet," Oswald's ties to the Cubans, the lack of security, etc.

I wasn't alive at the time, nor was I there, but, c'mon, why can't there be any truth that there was a conspiracy? I hope you're not telling me that we have to believe everything the government tells us.

This is a case that will never be solved (in my opinion). I guess we won't know FOR SURE what actually took place, so I don't see anything wrong with having a opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

These kind of movies were inevitable, and frankly I'm surprised we haven't
    seen more of this sooner. At the end of the day, I think it's good as the
    giant is asleep again. But paradoxically enough, the giant is the zombie in
    the theatre.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by willy4pres
    Why is it insane to think that one guy shot the President from less then 100 yards away from a raised position?

I don't want to ruin a perfectly good thread but you conspiracy people have to at least pretend that it could have happended exactly as history claims it happened.
    I dont want to ruin or hijack it either, but it would have been IMPOSSIBLE for Oswald to have shot from the Depository and caused what happened. His rifle wasnt even zero'ed! This has been proven by the FBI AND Mossad countless times in re-enactments. Also, even the House Select Committee on Assassinations concluded there had to be at least 2 gunmen.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Respects.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Im not saying it's impossible that there was some level of conspiracy involved, I honestly believe we don't know the full story. If someone held a gun to my head I would have to say that it was probably the worst case of CIA Blowback in US history. I don't think he was hired by anyone to kill the President, but I do believe he was at one time on the CIA payroll, im sure he was involved in stuff the govt. would rather be left secret.

They just had a new documentary last year showing not just that it was possible Oswald acted alone, but likely. It's the best one done so far that tried to answer all the question's surrounding the assassination.

I think that starting from that day in Texas and throughout all the lies of the Nixon administration a lot of people feel more comfortable not believing what their told by the government, this is a good example. I used to believe there was some kind of high level conspiracy as well, over the years I have backed away from that, one crazy nut shot President Kennedy, it was not a hard shot from that range, I could do it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812
    OK, here we go. JFK did contain some fictional segments/characters, yes. However the bottom-line of the film was that Oswald did not act alone and there indeed was a conspiracy. I think it's insane to argue against that.
    The bottom-line of the film was not so much to say that Oswald didn't do it, but rather to provide a "counter-myth to the Warren Report" - an argument for conspiracy. Stone weaved all the theories into one and "toothcombed" the screenplay, with help from prominent researchers in case. Either way, it angered both sides with the lone-nut theorists just plain pissed off with the premise, the conspiracy critics who were uncomfortable of using the controversial Garrison episode as a vehicle to present their argument.

I'm a big fan a Stone's films and will be anxious to see how he delivers here. I still need to check his last film Alexander The Great. It seems he hasn't done anything remotely controversial since Nixon and NBK - over a decade ago. Will be interesting to see how the media will find a way to jump on him over this. It should be quite interesting if Stone wants to make it a story about the human spirit than political, rightly so, he's been renown for delivering the best performances out of his actors.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill