Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

Default OLP MM1 Pickup Replacement?

Any suggestions on a pup replacement for this guitar? I just got one a few weeks ago and the stock pup in the bridge just isn't cutting it for me. Sounds fine for chords but pretty weak otherwise.
    Of course I'm looking for a VH sound(Dave Era). I've searched message boards and read the descriptions of pups on the Duncan and Dimarzio websites. Helps, but still leaves numerous choices.
    Anyone replace the pup in this guitar and want to chime in? Any advice appreciated.

Mike

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I gathered, people usually swap the originals for DiMarzios, Tone Zone in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck to get closer to the original EVH EBMM pu's. Apparently these do wonders for the overall OLP MM1 sound.
    Last edited by Berseker; 02.21.06 at 04:09 AM.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

why don't you try something a little different and buy a couple of wolfgang us standard pickups from ebay and trying those?

there are a bunch on ebay right now.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike529
    Any suggestions on a pup replacement for this guitar? I just got one a few weeks ago and the stock pup in the bridge just isn't cutting it for me. Sounds fine for chords but pretty weak otherwise.
    Of course I'm looking for a VH sound(Dave Era). I've searched message boards and read the descriptions of pups on the Duncan and Dimarzio websites. Helps, but still leaves numerous choices.
    Anyone replace the pup in this guitar and want to chime in? Any advice appreciated.

Mike
    I know I am not alone when I say that the stock pickups on an OLP are great and are very close to the sound of the first album. Only 8.6K with great clarity and harmonics. The early sound was a pickup around 8-10K with a heavily distorted amp, not a hot 16K pickup like a Dimarzio Tone Zone or SD JB. However, those are both great pickups for a later sound that Eddie had (not an early sound).

Just my opinion
    Chris

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if your replacing any of your olp pickups please pm me and i will take the olp's off your hands.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112
    I know I am not alone when I say that the stock pickups on an OLP are great and are very close to the sound of the first album. Only 8.6K with great clarity and harmonics. The early sound was a pickup around 8-10K with a heavily distorted amp, not a hot 16K pickup like a Dimarzio Tone Zone or SD JB. However, those are both great pickups for a later sound that Eddie had (not an early sound).

Just my opinion
    Chris
    Correct.

The key would be to stay away from pickups with harsh upper-mids. Although I no longer prefer high-output pickups, and hate the pickups in my Axis guitars, the following are know to NOT have any annoying upper-midrange spike:

DiMarzio's Air Zone
    Duncan's Custom Custom
    Duncan's Custom 5
    Wolfgang pickups

Pickups without the spike that you would consider "weak":
    DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF
    Duncan '59 with an A2 magnet
    Duncan's '78 (duh!)
    The Duncan Hybrid pickups that are being sold on their forums

I'm confused because you use the word "weak" and then "first album" in the same post. This of course makes no sense, as Eddie has never used weaker pickups than he did on the first album. Templeman boosted the bass & treble at the mixing board to almost obnoxious levels, but that's about it.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic

I'm confused because you use the word "weak" and then "first album" in the same post. This of course makes no sense, as Eddie has never used weaker pickups than he did on the first album.

Now I'm confused...who are you refering to? I never said that.

Mike

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

do you want to sell your olp pickup?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Now I'm confused...who are you refering to? I never said that. Mike
    I may have misinterpreted you:

I just got one a few weeks ago and the stock pup in the bridge just isn't cutting it for me. Sounds fine for chords but pretty weak otherwise. Of course I'm looking for a VH sound(Dave Era). Mike
    By "weak", I assumed you meant low-output.

Eddie was using pickups that were probably between 8 and 10k back then.

Let's put it like this: ONE of the two coils of an Axis pickup (which is actually 17k, not 16k) has almost as much "oomph" as the WHOLE pickup Eddie was using during Van Halen I, like the ones in your OLP.

And both are fine....I'm not criticizing either one. I'd like to give you some awesome, bada** answer loaded with scientific data, and a year ago I would've tried, but my current belief is that so long as you're using something that doesn't have a harsh upper-mid spike, you'll be fine. I've heard too many clips proving me right.

The "opposite" of the type of pickup you'd be looking for, for instance, would be the Evolution. (Although I have an Evolution in a stoptail strat, and I enjoy it for non-VH purposes. )

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well since you dont seem interested in selling the olp pickup i will tell you this. i own a ebmm axis and evh. 4 olp's and another guitar with a tone zone and air norton setup and you will get no closer then all of them. what i am saying is that the all resemble the ebmm axis and evh model's.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike
    An easy way to add muscle to a pup is to swap the mag out for a ceramic and drop the pot to 250k if its 500k. Two 1meg resistors in parallel on the hot and ground'll do the trick.

A trickier way is to convert the pup to double screws and then radius them.
    This'll bring the middle four strings into play and add ALOT of 3d punch to the sound.

I made 2 Custom/AIIPro A3 double screw hybrids. Great buckers, but not high power by any means. They come in at 11.2k.

If your looking for power grab a dimarzio breed. It's essentially a Tone Zone w/out the dual resonance(unbalanced coils). Thing'll take your head off!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Well, I wound up buying an eq pedal the other day. Danelectro Fish and Chips 7 band eq....$30. Cool little thing! I'm using it for a "boost" and problem solved. Easier and cheaper than switching through numerous pickups. Although after researching through a bunch of them it's gotten my interest up in trying some of them out.

I've owned 4 electrics in 20 years, and I've bought a few replacement pup's in the past...the olp pup's are the first one's I've run into since my first guitar...an ultra cheap lp knock-off, where I've needed something hotter.

Maybe I got a dud? Maybe there is just no accounting for taste/preference? lol...anyways problem solved for now

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what amp do you use cause my olp's match my ebmm's to a t through my 5150.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

The OLP pickups are nothing like the Axis or EVH pickups. They OLP pickups aren't even 9k.

The EBMM pickups are actually a "modified" Tone Zone that rings in at 17k, a stitch beefier than the stock Tone Zone, and of course, since the coils are matched @ 8.5 each, there's no dual resonance.

But by comparison, ONE coil from the EBMM pickup is almost as powerful as the WHOLE pickup in an OLP. And that's not a bad thing, if you're looking for ringing notes, transparency with chords, and vintage "snap".

In the end, it's still probably all nitpicking. Anything without an offensive frequency in it can probably be coaxed into sounding like Eddie, if you've got the right amp, the right equalization, and the right skills.

And a 6-pack of Schlitz Malt Talls..........

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

fella they may not be the same readings but they sound the same i own all of them and there all the same sounding. and yes the rear olp is 14k and the neck is 9.4. while they are not the same reading you guys are geting way overboard. the tonezone, olp, ebmm etc. pickups will all give you the same sound its that simple i know i own them all.