Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Chavez Threatens To Cut Off Oil To U.S.

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has warned he could cut off oil exports to the United States if Washington goes "over the line" in what he has said are attempts to destabilize his left-leaning government.

Chavez made his threat Friday, a day after U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the Venezuelan government posed "one of the biggest problems" in the region and that its ties to Cuba were "particularly dangerous" to democracy in Latin America.

"The government of the United States should know that if they go over the line, they are not going to have Venezuelan oil," Chavez said.

"I have already taken measures regarding this. I'm not going to say what because they think that I can't take these measures because we would not have any place to send the oil," Chavez said.

Chavez has threatened to halt oil exports to U.S. ports before, but Friday was the first time the former paratroop commander mentioned having made contacts with other crude buyers as part of a contingency plan.

"Many countries ask us for more oil and we have had to tell many countries we can't send them more" because Venezuela, the world's fifth largest oil exporter, ships 1.5 million barrels of oil a day to the United States, he told supporters at the presidential palace.

Relations between Chavez and the Bush administration hit new lows in recent days after Washington expelled a Venezuelan diplomat in response to Chavez's expulsion of a U.S. embassy official for alleged spying.

Venezuela on Friday also demanded an explanation from Washington for being labeled one of Latin America's biggest threats as a visiting State Department delegation aimed to ease tensions between the governments.

Chavez has repeatedly accused the U.S. government of trying to discredit his government and orchestrate his ouster. American officials deny those charges but accuse him of authoritarian tendencies.

Chavez, who refers to President Bush as "Mr. Danger," said U.S. officials would fail in their attempts to turn Latin American nations against Venezuela.

"You create your front Mr. Danger, we will create ours," Chavez said. "We are going to defeat the empire."

Chavez said Rice's statements were aimed at creating chaos and political upheaval in this oil-rich yet poor South American nation ahead of presidential elections in December.

Chavez, who was elected to a six-year term in 2000, has vowed to win the next election and govern until 2013 -- or longer.

Courtesy of CNN.com

-------------------------------------

The guy obviously gonna run the country for years, and he's pretty famous for making bubble-gum ultimatums. I wonder if he'd have balls to complete this one. Heh

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Another reason to find an alternative energy source.

We need to stop relying on these "people"

Research and development, get to work.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

god forbid we start producing our own oil again and put some americans to work.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good, I hope it happens. And I hope the Middle East does the same. Seems like things won't change until something drastic occurs.
    Last edited by janthraxx; 02.18.06 at 10:12 AM.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    Good, I hope it happens. And I hope the Middle East does the same. Seems like things won't change until something drastic occurs.
    Why do I get the idea that you rarely see beyond two feet in front of your nose? Do you have any idea what the ramifications would be not just for us, but for the rest of the world? That's a stunningly stupid thing to hope for.
    Last edited by MikeL; 02.18.06 at 10:13 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Why do I get the idea that you sit around all day waiting for me to post so you can jump on anything I say? Don't you have a job, wife, kids? If not, get them. They'd be a much better way to spend your time than deriding others. Jeezus Horatio

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by janthraxx
    It will have to be gradual, but it's happening. The hybrid technology will improve...the price will go down...those cars will get purchased. Chavez is talking out of his ass...he needs American dollars.
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

No answers, eh, jan? Not surprising. Oh, and get your own act. Try to be original, unless your little doped-up brain can't do that. God knows it can't do much else.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    Chavez is talking out of his ass...he needs American dollars.
    That's kinda the feeling I get.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Oil is BILLIONS in the world economy...It will be awhile before hybrid technology can fill that hole...However, the prevailing wisdom used to be that the steel industry was necessary to our way of life...until plastics...

There will always be needs and uses for crude, as well...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    Oil is BILLIONS in the world economy...It will be awhile before hybrid technology can fill that hole...However, the prevailing wisdom used to be that the steel industry was necessary to our way of life...until plastics...

There will always be needs and uses for crude, as well...
    Yep. And I think it won't go away--nor does it need to altogether.

Last Online

04.19.06 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good points. Hybrids DO use petroleum, though, they are a "baby-step" towards appeasing the petroleum industry and the environmentalists, but not really the ultimate solution.Their best effect ,if they start selling large numbers, is to discourage rapid petroluem exploration and development, but they wont reduce the infrastructure already in place.They could even help to drive oil prices up over time, because consumers will be willing to pay more for less gas, as they are using less.But that will only happen if production of oil doesnt increase. The ultimate solution is Electric (lithium ion battery) or hydrogen, and the tech is already here, but suppressed by the industry. Ford had a great electric -the EV- that was leased out by the thousands in the late 90's. Looked like a sedan, drove close to the same as a regular, the leasees loved them! Then in 2001, they pulled all the leases, the drivers tried to buy them above market value, and Ford shut them down.They were all recalled and destroyed.Why would a manufacturer discontinue a wildly popular product that people were willing to pay even more than the market price for? Because Ford couldnt sell parts for them- THERE WERE ONLY TWO MOVING PARTS! The fuckin things werent going to be generating any more income after the sale (or in this case, lease). These guys sell cars at close to cost or less, in order to make a profit on replacement parts, which have insane markups. Then you add in pressure from the oil lobby and Ford dropped the program and went hybrid. Electric and Hydrogen are at the marketable level, but they will put people out of work. unless you make your own, which can be done under 10 grand , with an existing chassis. and can get it licensed.Its all about the jobs.
    Last edited by pfloyd; 02.18.06 at 12:02 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pfloyd
    Good points. Hybrids DO use petroleum, though, they are a "baby-step" towards appeasing the petroleum industry and the environmentalists, but not really the ultimate solution.
    That's why I chose biodiesel over hybrid. Biodiesel isn't the ultimate solution either, though! :/

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street/its about time
    Last Online

09.24.11 @ 05:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead
    god forbid we start producing our own oil again and put some americans to work.
    there is an idea
    van halen is back. "what you think is nothing might be something after all"

Last Online

04.19.06 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, if everyone used biodiesel the emissions would be less, but there would still be emissions. And it would be very hard to plant enough crops to meet the demand for fuel, as most arable land on earth has or is already being used for food production. but as a fringe solution for now, it is a good move.