Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

The 2006 Olympic Hockey thread!!!

I want a thread just for hockey. I got up early to watch the first Canada men's game. Canada 7 Italy 2! a great start.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Olympic Ice Hockey News

Canada 7, Italy 2

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

TURIN, Italy (AP) -- Canada's scouting report was all wrong: Italy wasn't nearly as bad as expected. Italy's problem was the Canadians couldn't have been much better during an overwhelming second period that was impressive even considering the weak opponent.

Jarome Iginla started these Olympics the same way he ended them in Salt Lake City -- with two goals -- and gold-medal favorite Canada survived a brief scare with a five-goal second period in a 7-2 rout of Italy in its tournament opener Wednesday.

With troubled team executive Wayne Gretzky looking on nervously from a private box high in the packed grandstands, Canada was locked in a surprising 1-all tie early in the second period. Right about then, it seemed the Italians realized who they were playing.

"I looked up, and looked all around. It was beautiful the way the fans were going wild," Italy goalie Jason Muzzatti said of the reaction to Jason Cirone's tying goal 43 seconds into the second. "I wondered if that would be the moment of the match for us. It turned out it was."

Dany Heatley scored 72 seconds later and the rout was on, with four more goals to follow in the next 13 1/2 minutes. Muzzatti couldn't handle the repeated odd-man rushes, quick cross-ice passes and dazzling stickhandling that led to 28 Canadian shots in the second period and 50 overall.

Muzzatti, who played briefly with four NHL teams, wears images of Pope John Paul II and the Virgin Mary on his mask, but even they weren't of much help against Canada's onrush.

"That's the difference -- that's what we told our players," said Italy coach Mickey Goulet, who coached at the University of Ottawa for 14 years. "The NHL players, they move the puck."

Shane Doan, Iginla, Martin St. Louis and Brad Richards also scored in the second, with Iginla getting his second of the game and fourth in two Olympic games. He was the star of Canada's 5-2 gold-medal win over the United States in 2002 with two goals while playing on a line with Joe Sakic.

Sakic also set up both Iginla goals Wednesday.

"When you play with Joe, he's easy to follow," Iginla said. "He got going and we were able to settle down."

It also helped that Tampa Bay Lightning teammates St. Louis, Richards and Vincent Lecavalier know each other's games. Lecavalier played a strong game and had two assists.

"Not much was said and really nothing had to be said," St. Louis said. "We just got better. There was no panic."

Despite the brief scare, Canada got exactly the kind of tuneup coach Pat Quinn was hoping for after Team Canada arrived in Turin barely 24 hours before gametime. By comparison, the 2002 team was beaten badly by Sweden 5-2 in its opener before rebounding to win Canada's first gold medal in 50 years.

"The first period went as we expected, we were a little bit tentative. They were assertive and aggressive -- it was not what we expected from the scouting report," Quinn said. "I don't want to compare this to 2002, because everything is different, but this was a good game for us."

That Italy scored not once but twice against goalie Martin Brodeur on goals by Cirone and John Parco was a stunner in itself. The Italians, known locally as the Azzurri, don't have a single NHL player on a roster in which half their players are native North Americans.

"They probably played as good as they can play," said Brodeur, who stopped 18 shots.

"It's like their gold medal game and they found a way to uplift their game," Ryan Smyth said. "It was not a walkover."

What the Italians didn't have was the quality defensemen and goaltending needed to slow a Canadian team so talented it has six NHL captains on its roster, including Sakic.

Still, Italy scored as many goals against Brodeur as the New York Islanders did in beating Brodeur's Devils 2-1 Saturday night. Among Italy's player is 41-year-old Lucio Topatigh, who is playing in his fourth Olympics and is known as his country's "Mr. Hockey."

Canada's own such star, Gretzky, is reprising his 2002 role as Team Canada's executive director. He has been under considerable scrutiny because of his link to an alleged sports gambling ring led by Rick Tocchet, Gretzky's assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes. Gretzky repeated Tuesday in Turin that he was not involved and the issue is "over and done with."

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.27.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sticky this thread!

And BTW,

GO CANADA GO !!!
    Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Man, what a game between Russia and Slovakia.....Slovakia wins 5-3....

Gaborik has got to be one of the fastest skaters i've ever seen...geez...

Latvia beating U.S. 3-2 right now...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Am The One
    Last Online

02.15.06 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome game, Martin Brodeur was amazing.....
    Music is for people. The word 'pop' is simply short for popular. It means that people like it. I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool. ~Eddie Van Halen

“For a lot of people, going to the Olympics is a once-in-a-lifetime chance. For me, it's my third one. You never know when it's going to be the last, so I want to enjoy this thing as much as I can.” ~Martin Brodeur.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

The first three games for Canada are tune ups. Germany will be solid defensively so Canada will need to be patient tomorrow but the tournament doesn't start till the quarter finals. Win or go home. Anyway you look at it Canada will need to beat 3 quality opponents to win.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

latvia?

freakin latvia?!

gawd this is pitiful already

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ
    latvia?

freakin latvia?!

gawd this is pitiful already
    Yeah I heard that the US tied with Latvia. I don't know anything about Latvia, isn't that where Dr. Doom is from? I also heard that Latvia only has 2 current NHL players!

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yeah, and Arturs Irbe.....is their goalie....

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had to work today, so I recorded the game... didn't want to wait around for the game to be shown again on CBC. Wooohooo great game Canada. Muzzatti was pretty good in net for Italy.

WOW, Latvia ties with the US. Hmmm... I wonder if Canada will be up against the Swedes or Finns for Gold this year.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.27.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Canada should win easy today against Germany.
    Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Canada 5 Germany 1 was the final score! I was very happy with how Canada played, they played hard the entire game! Even in the last few minutes of the game when they were up by 3 goals, Canada kept trying to score and they did, Shane Doan scored with about a minute left.

-- John Entwistle

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Since you Canadians don't have anything else, you can win at hockey.

BTW, the USA will be in the Gold Medal game. Book it.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

So far, Games are a nightmare for U.S.

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports | February 17, 2006

TURIN, Italy – They got a hold of "Miracle" and started watching, over and over, sometimes twice, three times a day.

Only, in their dreams, it was Sweden's women's hockey team playing the role of the underdog United States and the U.S. playing that of the indomitable, overconfident Soviet Union.

"Legs feed the wolf," said Peter Elander, the Swedish coach, repeating the line Herb Brooks said in the movie. "When they had the tie to Norway, Herb Brooks kept them on the ice (and they) skated lines. We have done that in our practices [the] last three months."

This is what the Turin Olympics have disintegrated into for the United States. Another upset. Another disappointment. Another country's coach, another country's athlete, talking about the motivation of beating the U.S., of taking our old work ethic, our old emotions and rising to glory.

Friday, it was that Swedish women's hockey team that did it to the U.S., 3-2 in overtime. They derailed an American group that has boldly called out the Canadians in the press, but couldn't even reach the gold medal game, falling to an upstart that simply wanted it more.

"No team has practiced harder than we have," Elander promised. "No team."

Maybe it is impossible to draw some grand theme across an entire nation's diverse athlete delegation, but every day covering the Americans seems to bring the same scene, the same hung heads, the same excuses, no matter what venue you go to.

Team USA has been disappointing here, rarely winning in any sport that we didn't just recently invent and push into the games.

Six of our ten medals, including three of our six golds have come in snowboarding. It's a great sport, but there isn't exactly heavy international competition. We have two golds in speedskating, one in Alpine skiing and that's about it.

A group that arrived to much fanfare, much funding and much trash talk has been beaten day after day, event after event by tougher competitors.

Women's hockey was lucky Friday; the spotlight will fall not on them, but on snowboarder Lindsey Jacobellis, of Visa fame, who hot-dogged away a sure gold, showing off when it wasn't necessary.

But this was nothing to be proud of, either, what with goaltender Chanda Gunn, heaving her helmet and skating off in a bratty pout, refusing to partake in the traditional post game handshake. Not even the Russians did that back in 1980.

We've had athletes blame losses on missed buses, accused of staying out late boozing the night before events and complaining about the fans, the media and the pressure of it all. We've had them rip the accommodations at the Olympic village and make outlandish, impossible promises designed solely to grab attention and money.

Our athletes are the richest, most famous and most ridiculous here. So many are so spoiled. Yes, most of them compete for themselves; they owe us little more than good manners. If Jacobellis wants to go for style points, it's her right. At least she shook her opponents' hands.

But with each failure that could be avoided, with each weak excuse and especially with each act of poor sportsmanship, you just shake your head. You wonder what happened.

"They beat us," said forward Jenny Potter. "What else can I say?"

Someone asked her about the team make-up, another controversy, another excuse for being straight-up beaten. At least Potter wouldn't bite like so many others have.

"Woulda, coulda, shoulda," Potter said.

That's the only sweep Team USA has had here.

Maybe it is nostalgia clouding my memory, maybe it is that NBC only told me about the successes back in the day and fed me propaganda, but it seems we used to always be the hungrier team, the more determined competitor.

Not anymore. Nothing brings out a little extra spark in an opponent than seeing the Red, White and Blue across the way. In this game the Swedes had little more than a great goaltender, Kim Martin. The U.S. had way more skill, way more experience. They outshot Sweden 39-18.

But when the game got close the Americans tightened up. The Swedes just kept getting stronger, they were, indeed, better conditioned, better prepared. This was their Miracle moment.

This was Smith, just 19, after she had coolly stopped all four U.S. penalty shots, skating in circles looking for teammates to hug before bending down and patting the ice in jubilation.

This was forward Maria Rooth, who scored two goals in regulation and converted another in the shootout, wrapped in her nation's flag, scanning the crowd for family the way Jim Craig once did.

"It was the chance of our life," Rooth said.

Isn't that what the Americans used to say?

-- John Entwistle

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

whoa!!! did anyone else click on jenny potter's name in the previous post? holy shit we have MEN on the women's hockey team! either that or a horse wearing a wig...
    seriously though, the olympics have been pretty disappointing. figured we'd be doing much better than we have so far. even though im not a huge fan of the winter games, i gotta say that snowboard cross is pretty fucking cool and has made the list of shit i wanna do before i die.
    Last edited by sisca; 02.17.06 at 11:44 PM.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.