Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

10.02.19 @ 03:19 PM
    Liked 2,073 Times in 1,105 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Me Likey!

I really was only a fan of their early couple of records, but I saw them on the Historic tour with Warrent/Firehouse/Trixter in Chicago. Warrant was really great! Very entertaining, and I was really impressed how well they sounded musically.

Of course, I also like poison... : )

Years later, I wondered if that stuff would still hold up, so I bought a DVD boot of that tour from EBAY, and man...I loved it! They rocked and sounded great..if you like them get the boot from Japan on the Cherry Pie tour..its on EBAY all the time. Good stuff!

Oh, and I believe that tour was officially called the Sex, Booze and Tattoos tour : )
    Guilty as charged, I was at that Chicago show too. (side note, I had great tix for the Skid Row/GnR show 2 nights later, but Axl wigged out in St. Louis and they cancelled our show ) The Warant show was fun, but I think the large amounts of beer that I drank before the show may have contribuited to that .

It was the "Blood Sweat and Beers" tour actually.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

01.02.20 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 1,308 Times in 474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love
    By the way, does anyone know who Jani Lane wrote I Saw Red about?
    The record's third single was "I Saw Red", a ballad inspired by a true story of betrayal. It was written after Lane had walked in on his best friend in bed with his girlfriend, resulting in his nervous breakdown and the delayed release of the band's first record Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

01.02.20 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 1,308 Times in 474 Posts

Warrant are famous far beyond their fanbase for their "Pour Some Sugar on Me" rip off "Cherry Pie" which was almost as much of a hit as Def Leppard's original track. Singer Jani Lane, however, insists that the song was not his idea. The album was completed without the track but the label demanded an anthem. Lane complied with "Cherry Pie", written in 45 minutes. Prior to that, the album title and lead off single were to have been Uncle Tom's Cabin. This song is a semi-credible hard rock track loved by the same hard rock fans who despise Cherry Pie. So some people think that had this been the lead off single, history would accord Warrant far more success.

Here's what would have really happened. "Uncle Tom's Cabin" would have charted little higher than its actual eventual US peak of #83. As a result, the album wouldn't have sold in anything like such big numbers. Warrant would be a less ridiculed band, but not due to higher credibility, but because no one would remember them.

Warrant were hit pretty bad by grunge. Well, to say that is a bit like saying a hedgehog would be in bad shape after a close encounter of the 18-wheeler kind. Warrant were annihilated. In 1993 the goodwill left over from their multi-platinum previous two albums was enough to take Dog Eat Dog to gold status but by the mid-90s Warrant were receiving death threats. To the grunge community, they were the anti-Christ. This is one of the lame things about grunge. For all its "everyone's accepted" propaganda, their hatred of hair metal was simply irrational. They didn't like it -- fine. If history had been reversed and Warrant had wiped out Pearl Jam, though, I don't think hair metal would have hated grunge with anything like the same fury. I think Warrant were a particular target for grunge because "Cherry Pie" had the misfortune to be one of the last big hair metal hits, landing as it did in 1991, the year of Nevermind. Miserable luck.

Thing is that "Cherry Pie" is the only thing anyone remembers about Warrant, but there are other songs worthy of attention. The Cherry Pie album also included "Uncle Tom's Cabin", which lyrically and musically is pretty cool. Then there's "I Saw Red", which has more depth than your average power ballad, but becomes even more poignant when you discover it's based on a true story. Yep, Jani Lane walked in on his best friend in bed with his girlfriend and his resulting nervous breakdown delayed the Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich LP for months. The entire album was finished apart from Jani's vocals. Anyway, my general point is that although they did do big, dumb party-rock songs like "Cherry Pie", they had material that was a lot less silly, if silliness bothers you. You've probably noticed by now (unless this is the first page you've read on this web site) that silliness really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I even quite like it.

The most worrying thing about Warrant is that they have proved what trend-following sellouts they were in the last decade: with "Ultraphobic" and "Belly 2 Belly", Warrant jumped on the grunge bandwagon with the same alacrity they had chased after Poison less than a decade before. And Jani is incapable of playing one of their hits live without apologising for it first.

These days, it's not such a terrible sin to be in a hair band as it was in 1996. I mean, it's not at the point where you could use "Hey baby, I'm in Winger," as a pick-up line, but the insults have become more harmlessly humorous and less malevolent. Jani Lane gets the odd column inch, but these days it's either about rumours that he's working as a chef (I won't bother to tell you the truth about that story because it's much less funny), or about not bothering to turn up for a show because he's too busy on a drinking binge. Or perhaps someone will feel the need to remind us that he now weighs approximately the same amount as an industrial deep-freeze. These things don't bother me. Living in Britain as I do, I will probably never see Warrant live so I don't care if he bails on a show. And he may be a beached whale now, but since I will never see Warrant live, this does not affect me. None of those things change the fact that he was one of the most accomplished songwriters of the '80s (he wrote virtually every song Warrant have ever put out single-handedly) and I'm pretty sure that he has some good songs left in him if Warrant ever do get around to an all-new studio album.

I can't stand them, but no one will deny that Queensryche were cool back in 1990. So I'll tell you this interesting little story: When Warrant were opening for the 'Ryche, one evening the crowd booed Warrant during their set. Geoff Tate came onstage and demanded "Don't you dare boo our opening act, because we wouldn't have them if we didn't like them." Make of that what you will.

Latest Warrant news is that Jani Lane is out, original members Steven Sweet and Joey Allen are back, and the new singer is former Black n' Blue frontman Jaime St. James. Personally, I find it fascinating that they expect to find a market when the guy who wrote and sang all the hits (and the only guy non-Warrant fans might be able to name as a member of Warrant) is no longer in the band and the new guy is from a hair band that no one listened to even in the '80s.

source
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

07.02.09 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw

It was the "Blood Sweat and Beers" tour actually.
    You are correct sir! And you probably also remember Jani Lane playing heaven from atop the soundboard about 3/4 way up the bleacher slope? I was a few rows from that.

If I remember correctly, that ampitheatre was pretty new then...It was the first show I saw there. What a pit! A big concrete cellar held up by concrete posts. It was no Poplar Creek...

LOL, Paw shows his true colors...CHERRY RED!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

10.02.19 @ 03:19 PM
    Liked 2,073 Times in 1,105 Posts

Donor

Default Where the Down Boys Go

You are correct sir! And you probably also remember Jani Lane playing heaven from atop the soundboard about 3/4 way up the bleacher slope? I was a few rows from that.

If I remember correctly, that ampitheatre was pretty new then...It was the first show I saw there. What a pit! A big concrete cellar held up by concrete posts. It was no Poplar Creek...

LOL, Paw shows his true colors...CHERRY RED!
    Ahhhh the good ol days of Poplar Creek. I miss that place

I remember that with the soundboard, but I couldn't see that far back, I was row 2 stage right, got the tix from a friend who couldn't go.
    I ALMOST got a Corona when Jani was handing them out to the front people, he never made it to our side

That place was pretty new at that time, The World Theatre (later named "New" World Theatre, and now called The Tweeter Center) opened in 1990. I've been to that venue so many times it's sick. The sound really sucks though.

Some useless trivia: Cher was the first show ever played there (I was at the 2nd show-Kiss/Slaughter/Faster Pussycat )

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.20.20 @ 08:34 PM
    Liked 27,925 Times in 14,127 Posts

Saw Warrant twice and they were really good both times. But that was back in their heyday. Wouldn't surprise me that they are a train wreck live now.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone watch Jani Lane on that VH1 show about losing weight? He was quite pathetic...I really felt sorry for him as the ol alchyhol has put him down.

Watching the old vid they drank so much on stage...funny how time catches up with you on those things. I remember the Behind the music for Def Leppard when Rick Allen said, "Yeah, we drank on stage and back stage, but when everyone else left and we closed the doors, thats when the REALLY heavy drinking began." Ouch! I can relate!

E

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

02.21.20 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 2,488 Times in 1,482 Posts

1st cd is good n fun stuff. Loved it when it was out because it was fun. 2nd cd is good, cherry pie, uncle tom's cabin and I saw red are great songs, the rest of the cd is just ok. After that I really lost track of them, picked up a best of and got to listen to Machine Gun, that's a really cool song.

Last Online

04.19.06 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love
    I've heard the whole thing. And btw, Tommy Lee knows a thing or 2 about Bobbie Brown, and from what he says she's a nutcase these days, haha.

By the way, does anyone know who Jani Lane wrote I Saw Red about?
    She was on a "Blind Date" episode a few years back, and yes, she is a lost cause. And lets just say she has not aged well, to say the least.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jani Lane , or John Oswald ,was a good writer (music and lyrics), definately underrated. He was head and shoulders above Poison and pretty much any new pop rock bands at that time.However, he lowered himself in how he presented the band and even the band members themselves. What I thought was cheesy was that neither guitarists were capable of playing on the first and much of the second album, Mike Slamer did most of it, and when youve got TWO guitarists in a rock band and neither can play, its time to rethink the presentation.He bought in to the shallow "we are here to party and fuck the groupies" mentality even though, by his talent, he was above that.And when that mentality wasnt cool anymore, he was fucked and trying to backtrack. People smell weakness.He should have just been solo, abandoned the boy band choreograpy in the videos, and maybe he wouldve escaped the wrath of grunge and not turned into a miserable alcoholic.A talented guy who was weak in asserting that talent to the masses.
    Last edited by pfloyd; 02.22.06 at 05:44 PM.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good post above...but the guitar player thing I don't really understand. From what I read, they had CC Deville come in and play some solos on the first record, but that was more for publicity for Warrant than anything. When I watch the Warrant live DVD from back in the day, both guitarists can wail pretty well (although not very original). Maybe they just werent able to deliver when the red light is on in the studio, but they can both play from what I see. Its not like they are wanking on the pentatonic scale and flubbing notes or something.

Anyhoo, Jani is talented. The thing is, they never really thought the ride was gonna end. Funny how a band like Bon Jovi is selling out arenas, and its not like they were musically respected back in their day. It comes down to Jon and Richie having some assemblance of a head on their shoulders and doing good business. As for Poison, I think they had much better consistent songwriting than warrant. Their first album and Flesh and Blood are packed with great songs. Warrant seemed to have a couple two three on each album and the rest was filler.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good post above...but the guitar player thing I don't really understand. From what I read, they had CC Deville come in and play some solos on the first record, but that was more for publicity for Warrant than anything. When I watch the Warrant live DVD from back in the day, both guitarists can wail pretty well (although not very original). Maybe they just werent able to deliver when the red light is on in the studio, but they can both play from what I see. Its not like they are wanking on the pentatonic scale and flubbing notes or something.

Anyhoo, Jani is talented. The thing is, they never really thought the ride was gonna end. Funny how a band like Bon Jovi is selling out arenas, and its not like they were musically respected back in their day. It comes down to Jon and Richie having some assemblance of a head on their shoulders and doing good business. As for Poison, I think they had much better consistent songwriting than warrant. Their first album and Flesh and Blood are packed with great songs. Warrant seemed to have a couple two three on each album and the rest was filler.
    CC Dimwit played the solo for "Cherry Pie", and yes, that was for publicity. I dont know what DVD that is, but recent tours in the 90's had prerecorded solos that they actually (!) mimed to, which is beyond pathetic.Mike Slamer (google him) did all of DRFSR and some of Cherry Pie, however, by then people were finding out they couldnt play well, so they had to make the extra effort (hence the "official verification" on theDog Eat Dog liner notes by the producer that the boys did play all their parts on that album).When people find this stuff out, it just makes them look sad.Bon Jovi at least played their parts ( except for the bass player, but thats another thread),they didnt wear shirts like "condom crusader" or "pee like a man" or whatever.Warrant wanted to be Van Halenesque goofballs, but they lacked the chops, and wrote ballads.Mixed messages equal lost audience. Gotta disagree on Poison delivering good albums.But thats subjective, of course, peace.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shit, this is embarrasing, but i just listened to "I Saw Red" and its pretty fuckin good! Sappy,but the good kind of sappy, as in really melacholy and genuine, it blows away any Nipplecrack ballad you hear today.That guy was a talented (musically) songwriter.The lyrics are average.Definately underrated.
    Last edited by pfloyd; 03.09.06 at 10:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Panama / Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.19 @ 06:50 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I saw Warrant with Alice Cooper, Slaughter, and Dokken in 1997, and Warrant was the best out of all of them. Not a big fan, but I always like the acoustic version of "I Saw Red", always thought "Blind Faith", "Bitter Pill" and "Machine Gun" were good songs.
    Ever Onward
    Time Waits For No One
    Its Never To Late To Mend

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pfloyd
    Shit, this is embarrasing, but i just listened to "I Saw Red" and its pretty fuckin good! Sappy,but the good kind of sappy, as in really melacholy and genuine, it blows away any Nipplecrack ballad you hear today.That guy was a talented (musically) songwriter.The lyrics are average.Definately underrated.
    Now there ya go! Im really into I saw Red right now too...

"And I didnt need to see his face, I saw yours, I saw red and then I closed the door...I dont think Im gonna love you anymore."

I think thats a great lyric...certainly original. Especially when you start to think about the many meanings of "Red"