Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Toby Keith:How do you like him now?

Posted on Mon, Feb. 13, 2006
    Toby Keith: How do you like him now?
    BY ROSS RAIHALASt.

Paul Pioneer PressIn a career that has already seen him play the boozy troublemaker, a Ford truck pitchman and the outspoken patriot, Toby Keith has two new roles on tap for 2006: record-label mogul and movie star.

The 44-year-old Oklahoma native whose motto is "How Do You Like Me Now?" is starting the year, and his new Show Dog Records label, with a bang.
    "None of the Nashville labels think I'm going to make it," said Keith during a phone interview. "But I feel very confident about my new label, because I'm signed as the first act. And as long as I continue to sell records, the label is going to be outstanding."

Rebellious underdog is yet another side of Keith's public persona. He spent the `90s as a mid-level hat act who publicly battled with his record label over creative control. After leaving in a huff, he signed on with the new DreamWorks Nashville and released a series of albums that transformed him into one of the genre's major players.

Radio-friendly singles like "Who's Your Daddy?" and "I Love This Bar" helped him cross over into the mainstream consciousness. But it was his controversial 2002 hit "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (the Angry American)" - key lyric: "We'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way" - that made him a household name.

Just when Keith seemed unstoppable, DreamWorks Nashville closed shop and was absorbed by the company Keith had abandoned in 1999. After last year's "Honkytonk University," Keith decided it was time to strike out on his own.

"There were a lot of reports I was just huffing and puffing and trying to renegotiate my contract, but that was never my intention," he said. "It was always my intention to open my own record label.

"These labels have big budgets, and they have to spend those budgets to justify getting that much money again next year. So they may get $10 million and (waste) $8 million of it. I figure if they can blow all that money unnecessarily and still make a profit on my record sales, how much can I make if I really strip it down and run it like a smart business?"

He's about to find out. Due out in April, "White Trash With Money" will be Keith's first album for his own Show Dog Records label. He's also set to release a single from his longtime friend, collaborator and current tourmate, Scotty Emerick. Keith has more projects in the hopper, too.

"There's a lot of crazy things jumping around that are being looked at by attorneys right now," he said. "Like there's a project Sammy Hagar wants to do for me. He's a good friend of mine, and he's got a bunch of really cool roadhouse-blues-type songs. They're very un-Sammy and very un-Van Halen. They're really good and really rootsy."

And then there's the whole movie thing. His deal with Paramount Pictures kicks off later this year with the release of a feature (working title: "Broken Bridges") in which Keith stars alongside Kelly Preston and Burt Reynolds.
    "I wrote and recorded the soundtrack, and Show Dog will put it out," Keith said. "The girl who plays my daughter, Lindsey Haun, sings her little butt off in the movie, too. I want to sign her to the label.

"I saw a 90-second trailer for the movie the other night, and it was really breathtaking to me. It was such a good experience, we've already agreed to do another one, and I'm writing the script. It's something I think I can have some fun with.

"Now, I can really do whatever I want to."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...c/13861523.htm

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

i like toby keith , and i saw the the sammy , vh reference. but did i miss something in the article.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Toby Keith is awesome!
    Great voice, great lyrics, no fear, in-your-face-if-ya-don't-like-it kind of guy
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I love this bar. It's my kind of place.

I love that song, actually.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I like some of his hits. Seems to not be of the same cloth as the Tim McGraws and Kenny Chesneys of the country world - that's a good thing. And if he's going to start up his own venture, now's the time to do it while he's still a big deal. Just hope he read the Beatles playbook for Apple to find out what NOT to do!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like Private Pile.
    Last edited by Hotlantadude1981; 02.13.06 at 07:17 PM.