Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Boy charged with felony for carrying sugar

Boy charged with felony for carrying sugar
    suntimes ^ | February 11, 2006
    BY JUSTINA WANG
    Boy charged with felony for carrying sugar

A 12-year-old Aurora boy who said he brought powdered sugar to school for a science project this week has been charged with a felony for possessing a look-alike drug, Aurora police have confirmed.

The sixth-grade student at Waldo Middle School was also suspended for two weeks from school after showing the bag of powdered sugar to his friends.

The boy, who is not being identified because he is a juvenile, said he brought the bag to school to ask his science teacher if he could run an experiment using sugar.

Two other boys asked if the bag contained cocaine after he showed it to them in the bathroom Wednesday morning, the boy's mother said.

He joked that it was cocaine, before telling them, "just kidding," she said.

Aurora police arrested the boy after a custodian at the school reported the boy's comments. The youngster was taken to the police station and detained, before being released to his parents that afternoon.

"This is getting ridiculous," said the boy's mother. "They treated my son like a criminal. .. . This is no way to treat a 12-year-old kid."

East Aurora School District officials declined to comment on the case, citing privacy issues.

The district issued a written statement, which said: "The dangers of illegal drugs and controlled substances are clear.

Could get probation "Look-alike drugs and substances can cause that same level of danger because staff and students are not equipped to differentiate between the two."

The school handbook states that students can be suspended or expelled for carrying a look-alike drug.

Penalties for juveniles are decided on a case-by-case basis, but if convicted, the sixth-grader could likely face up to five years' probation, said Jeffery Jefko, deputy director of Kane County juvenile court services.

Juveniles who have prior criminal records could also be placed in a residential treatment program if convicted, he said.

Aurora Beacon-News
    http://www.suntimes.com

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

What a fucking joke... a Sugar High is now illegal...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well there go my donuts and chocolate!!

What are they gonna do about the cops and all their donuts???
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL - outrageous, reminds of The Simpsons episode when they banned sugar in Springfield and the other episode when Homer had a pile of sugar in the backyard.

Homer: "First we get the sugar, then we get the power, then we get the women."
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What the fuck happened to common sense?

If the school officials can't pull their head out of their ass then the police should have deomstrated room temperature IQ.

There were kids who brought baggies of oregano as a joke all the time at my highschool. If they even got called into the office, they only got a lecture and at worst - after school detention.

How can you teach kids to respect the law when the law is stupid?
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Once again I will step in as a school administrator. This student had a bag of a powdery substance and went so far as to say it was cocaine. You can not allow this. To defend this student's actions is beyond stupid. Based on his own comments what was the school to do? There was no way to determine the contents of the substance on campus. If I was to catch wind of anyone trying to pass off a substance as a drug they are going down, end of story. The student may have viewed it as a joke, but it is not a joke. Student safety has to be of utmost importance. Based on his actions and statements the school had no choice but to act swiftly. When he was removed I guarantee noone, not even the police, could positively determine what the substance was until it was taken to the station.

People say schools have no common sense, well what about students displaying common sense? I have no doubt this kid knows drugs are bad so why bring attention to yourself and say you have drugs? I would imagine if the teacher knew of this student bringing in sugar for a project then the teacher would have been able to quietly end the confusion.

As stated in a different thread earlier this week, the only reason this is news is because the parent is making noise. The school will look like the bad guys since they can not and will not speak of the situation to the media.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

The kid demonstrated room temperature IQ when he tried to say that the sugar was cocaine. The school demonstrated room temperature IQ by overreacting to the situation, thereby demonstrating how second rate education here in the U. S. is destroying our youth.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda
    Once again I will step in as a school administrator. This student had a bag of a powdery substance and went so far as to say it was cocaine. You can not allow this. To defend this student's actions is beyond stupid. Based on his own comments what was the school to do? There was no way to determine the contents of the substance on campus. If I was to catch wind of anyone trying to pass off a substance as a drug they are going down, end of story. The student may have viewed it as a joke, but it is not a joke. Student safety has to be of utmost importance. Based on his actions and statements the school had no choice but to act swiftly. When he was removed I guarantee noone, not even the police, could positively determine what the substance was until it was taken to the station.

People say schools have no common sense, well what about students displaying common sense? I have no doubt this kid knows drugs are bad so why bring attention to yourself and say you have drugs? I would imagine if the teacher knew of this student bringing in sugar for a project then the teacher would have been able to quietly end the confusion.

As stated in a different thread earlier this week, the only reason this is news is because the parent is making noise. The school will look like the bad guys since they can not and will not speak of the situation to the media.
    I disagree. I think there is a vast difference between confectionary sugar and cocaine - they taste different. It would be a different situation altogether if the kid had them in 8-ball bindles and was marketing it as cocaine. To crack a joke (no pun) that confectionary sugar is coke - yeah riiiiiiight.

THIS IS AMERICA! WE HAVE FREE SPEECH RIGHTS. This very type of over-zealous do-gooder knee-jerk reaction from the same bastards who hand out condoms to teenagers is typical of the public school educrat establishment. I'm not surprised at all. They'd burn a kid at the stake for possessing a powdered sugar donut, because in their minds, anything could be drugs.

How do we know the tar on the roof isn't heroin?

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    I disagree. I think there is a vast difference between confectionary sugar and cocaine - they taste different. It would be a different situation altogether if the kid had them in 8-ball bindles and was marketing it as cocaine. To crack a joke (no pun) that confectionary sugar is coke - yeah riiiiiiight.

THIS IS AMERICA! WE HAVE FREE SPEECH RIGHTS. This very type of over-zealous do-gooder knee-jerk reaction from the same bastards who hand out condoms to teenagers is typical of the public school educrat establishment. I'm not surprised at all. They'd burn a kid at the stake for possessing a powdered sugar donut, because in their minds, anything could be drugs.

How do we know the tar on the roof isn't heroin?

So, if you were the principal of this school, and you heard reports that a student was claiming to have a bag of coke...would you have investigated further?? I would assume...yes?? Then after you caught up to the student in question, found a bag of powdery, white, substance that resembles cocaine, and knowing you have other students saying this particular individual had said it was coke...how would you have handled the situation?? BTW, if you mess it up, and it really is coke in your school, your ass, your job, your entire lifestyle is on the line. So, how would you handle it?? What, you would taste it yourself, and determine, it was sugar, just by the taste??? Then at that point just send the child on his way, with his little bag of sugar, because your expert taste buds have determined this in no way could be cocaine?? Have all the educators in our system been given the training on the taste difference between sugar and coke?? Look, I know in this day and age, things like this can seem out of hand, but if the educators got the situation wrong, then we would be discusssing how the principal dropped the ball, and let coke be in his school when he heard all of these rumors and didn't check them out. In this time, we all, for the sake of our jobs, careers, our livelyhoods, have to cover our ass as much as possible, or, if not, you can bet, the moment you make one tiny mistake, not only will you lose your job, but there will be a law suite soon to follow. It's just the way it is.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I must add, that a felony charge for this is way, way out of line. Talk to the kid, educate the other students, discipline him maybe in some way. But a felony charge is outright crazy!!

Eruption
    Last Online

I would doubt a felony charge would stick........but I do not know this state's laws.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind
    So, if you were the principal of this school, and you heard reports that a student was claiming to have a bag of coke...would you have investigated further?? I would assume...yes?? Then after you caught up to the student in question, found a bag of powdery, white, substance that resembles cocaine, and knowing you have other students saying this particular individual had said it was coke...how would you have handled the situation?? BTW, if you mess it up, and it really is coke in your school, your ass, your job, your entire lifestyle is on the line. So, how would you handle it?? What, you would taste it yourself, and determine, it was sugar, just by the taste??? Then at that point just send the child on his way, with his little bag of sugar, because your expert taste buds have determined this in no way could be cocaine?? Have all the educators in our system been given the training on the taste difference between sugar and coke?? Look, I know in this day and age, things like this can seem out of hand, but if the educators got the situation wrong, then we would be discusssing how the principal dropped the ball, and let coke be in his school when he heard all of these rumors and didn't check them out. In this time, we all, for the sake of our jobs, careers, our livelyhoods, have to cover our ass as much as possible, or, if not, you can bet, the moment you make one tiny mistake, not only will you lose your job, but there will be a law suite soon to follow. It's just the way it is.
    The kid told a joke, and was bringing it for a school project. If he was selling it as cocaine, then its a whole different ballgame. How do we know he wasn't coerced into the statement about it being cocaine? All we know is that he had a legitimate reason for carrying powdered sugar in bulk, but saying one singular word while carrying sugar, and being arrested is something that sounds like it would happen in old Communist Russia, or some other totalitarian government.

If the kid maintained it was cocaine all along, and misled authorities, he's in trouble; but even then, it should be a misdemeanor.

I'm sure if he had known that he could not carry confectionary sugar, flour, sand, Dandruff, drywall dust, or any other substance that could remotely resemble any form of drug and speak a singular 2 syllable word, without being arrested, he would have prefered to fail the project, and not take any sort of risk at all.

What sort of hypersensitivity are we cramming into them with the current public education system? What sort of crime would it be to point at the drinking fountain while water is coming out and say the word 'Vodka'? Probably another felony. Oh, Vodka has a certain smell, right. So does confectionary sugar!! Common sense completely gone. This logic is completely out of control, and takes away our individual God-given freedom to speak.

Ph@

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda

Normally I agree with you but this response is over the top.

First off, yes, the kid should have some kind of punishment, like picking up trash from the playground and writing a report about drugs and why they are bad. Yes, he should have been turned over to the police for a trip to the police station and some serious scare-tactics and then turned over to his parents.

If he was selling it as cocain then that takes it to a whole other level because even selling fake drugs is a felony, the kids he sold it to would also need to be identified and arrested.

Here's my problem, today everyone who works at a school, regardless of grade, should be familliar with all of the popular narcotic substances and be up to date with the current trends. By the time I was in highschool most of the teachers were ex-hippies and could spot both drugs and tell when someone was on them. For this school to not have anybody who could tell if this was sugar is inexcusable. Today there are field test kits that can identify a variety of drugs quickly and accurately, they can be obtained for free under a bunch of federal and state anti-drug programs by school admins.

Any Van Halen fan can probably do the tounge-test for coke accurately.

Which leads to the next rant, what the hell is wrong with the police in this story. I live in a small town, our cops have those field-tests for drugs in the trunks of their cruisers, this department must be functionally handicapped. Again, my small-town PD is great with kids, even the troulbemakers. In simillar situations, the school calls both the parents and the police, once it's determined that no real crime has been committed, the police talk the parents into letting them take junior into "Custody", where they take him back to the station, fingerprint and mugshot, let him sit in the holding cell for an hour and then get a serious lecture from the Chief. The Chief lays down the law and then asks Junior how he liked the holding cell, then he points out that Junior could spend the next ten years in a room even smaller. This is usually all it takes to adjust Junior's attitude.

Again, if he was selling it as coke, then this is a whole different ballgame.

See, the school is missing an oppertunity to educate Junior and the rest of the student body. What they could have done was point out that while Junior thinks it's a joke, word could get back to a real drug dealer or drug dealing gang and they might not appreciate Junior poaching on their turf. The school could point out that junior and his friends could have been found dead with their genitals placed in their mouths, or Junior and his familly could have been shot up in a drive-by. That's how the "Oregano Kid" got straightened out, the Sheriff's deputy showed him mugshots of local bikers who were the main drug suppliers for the area. Then they showed him graphic pictures of their victims. He didn't think it was as funny any more.

Drugs are a real problem, the only way we are going to get a handle on them is to be SMART about how we deal with them.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Eruption
    Last Online

So now school personnel are supposed to be up to date on testing narcotics?

Listen, this kid stated it was cocaine.....the kid did no one else. I didn't read one time where he was coherced into stating it as such. It was overheard by a custodian. I would venture to say 99% of all schools do not have any means of testing whether a substance is a drug. They have resource officers (police). Any sane person would not taste an unknown substance that could possibly be a drug. There are policies established by state and local boards on how school personnel are to hand issues of possible drug violations. In this instance barring a state law, he won't get a felony charge. He wins dumbass honors obviously. You also can not use the kid openly to show other kids right from wrong. As I have stated several times in the past there is a federal law called F.E.R.P.A. which bars anyone from disclosing information about students to anyone other than a parent or guardian without parental permission.

I also want to address Phatie here since obviously you are so enlightened. Not all school are as you have painted with a broad brush. The vast majority of schools do not hand out condoms. Also saying you have cocaine is not freedom of speech. That is ridiculous. You can not go into a bank and claim you have a gun. You can not board a plane and say you have a bomb. You can not go into a theater and scream "fire". You also can not go into a school and say you have drugs and not expect to be questioned. It is not about whether he can bring "confectionary sugar, flour, sand, Dandruff, drywall dust, or any other substance that could remotely resemble any form of drug" to school, it is about how he represented it. I was not there nor was anyone else from here. Maybe this is ridiculous from both sides, but having dealt with similar events I can not criticize the school here. The kid was an idiot. Hopefully he will learn from this.

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If he really wanted to make headlines, he could have said it was a bag of anthrax.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion