Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Question For Those Living in Fort Lauderdale For 20 Years+

Hey All,

I live in Toronto, Cananda - but as I was growing up (I am 34 now), my grandparents had a condo at a seniors place called Wynmoor Villiage. It's near Coconut Creek in Pompano. As a child and teenager in the 70's and 80's - my family would go there during the winter for 2 weeks every year and it was just paradise to me.

The second I would go outside from the Florida airport - the smell of the air would just bring back all my childhood memories. I have never been able to capture that same feeling with anything else in my life.

As I said, we had a place at Wynmoor - a completely beautiful condo complex mostly for seniors. I would go swimming all day in the pool or play shuffleboard. They also had a community centre, where I would walk around and play in. Wynmoor was so huge, that as a child - there was no limit to the fun that you could have.

I am completely serious when I say that I would buy a condo at Wynmoor and live there if that's possible (since I am not a senior). It is just paradise to me and everything that I could ever want. Sadly, we had to sell the condo in 2000.

Some of my favorite places to go in Fort Lauderdale (and I know that some of them are no longer there) were: The Crab House, Fuddruckers, Peaches Record Store, Publix Super Markets, 711 (before there was a 711 in Canada), Tarks (awsome chicken wings), Tony Roma's, Mr. Bojangles and there was a comic book store near a clothing store that my mom shopped at called Loman's. Do any of these places sound familiar to anyone?

I have not been to Fort Lauderdale in 10 years and very much want to go back to recapture some of my childhood memories and just to clear my head. I am presently in a sort of crossroads with my life and I truly believe that going to Fort Lauderdale to visit my old stomping grounds - those that are still there, will help me get back on track with my life. I hope some of you know what I mean.

Sometimes you need to go back to move forward. At least I feel that I have to. The problem is the cost. I would need two weeks to really do all that want to do and with hotel and other costs - it would be expensive.

I will go though, but I am also worried - that when I do make my big return, I won't recognize anything and it will be a big disappointment. Possibly some of you that remember the same things as I do and have been to Fort Lauderdale recently can shed some light on that for me. I know it has changed - but the question is has it changed to the point where I won't care about Fort Lauderdale anymore.

Anyway, I would really love to hear from everyone that also has the same childhood memories as I do or who has been living in Fort Lauderdale for the last 20+ years and can let me know what's it like there now.

Thank you so very much.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our family used to drive down from Ohio to Florida every year ('73-'79ish). Each time we'd stop at the Florida Welcome Center for some fresh OJ and I remember having that same experience with the smell of the air - unmistakably Florida. I look forward to that smell now every time I go to Florida. I think the reason it affects me so is likely the same reason for you - memories from early youth are best remembered if there is a scent associated. I enjoyed reading your post because it instantly brought that scent to mind.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

When I was a kid we used to go on a week long ski vacation to Sun Valley Idaho. I loved it there, it was small cute cozy ski resort. As soon as you drove into the Valley you new that you were in Sun Valley, there was just a feel to the entire place.
    I had not been to Sun Valley in about 10 years, I decided to go back and ski for a long weekend. I was SHOCKED at how it had changed, it was not covered with McDonald and Burger Kings but the quaint little ski town I once new was long gone. What was once forrest covered Mtns was now replaced with multi million dollar homes and condos. The traffic was awful, the friendly nature of the locals was long since gone. The price of a lift ticket was out of this world. Sun Valley had become a resort town.

A few of the places you have listed are national chains am I sure they still exist in Fort Lauderdale. If you ha vent been back in years don't expect it to be the same. The only way this will happen is if Developing is outlawed. Have you thought about a time share in Fort Lauderdale? You can get into a time share for a decent price in many area's. Once you drop a few thousand you only have maintenance dues to deal with. My Parents have purchased 6 time shares, seem like they are always heading someplace.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by hey man
    Hey All,

I live in Toronto, Cananda - but as I was growing up (I am 34 now), my grandparents had a condo at a seniors place called Wynmoor Villiage. It's near Coconut Creek in Pompano. As a child and teenager in the 70's and 80's - my family would go there during the winter for 2 weeks every year and it was just paradise to me.

The second I would go outside from the Florida airport - the smell of the air would just bring back all my childhood memories. I have never been able to capture that same feeling with anything else in my life.

As I said, we had a place at Wynmoor - a completely beautiful condo complex mostly for seniors. I would go swimming all day in the pool or play shuffleboard. They also had a community centre, where I would walk around and play in. Wynmoor was so huge, that as a child - there was no limit to the fun that you could have.

I am completely serious when I say that I would buy a condo at Wynmoor and live there if that's possible (since I am not a senior). It is just paradise to me and everything that I could ever want. Sadly, we had to sell the condo in 2000.

Some of my favorite places to go in Fort Lauderdale (and I know that some of them are no longer there) were: The Crab House, Fuddruckers, Peaches Record Store, Publix Super Markets, 711 (before there was a 711 in Canada), Tarks (awsome chicken wings), Tony Roma's, Mr. Bojangles and there was a comic book store near a clothing store that my mom shopped at called Loman's. Do any of these places sound familiar to anyone?

I have not been to Fort Lauderdale in 10 years and very much want to go back to recapture some of my childhood memories and just to clear my head. I am presently in a sort of crossroads with my life and I truly believe that going to Fort Lauderdale to visit my old stomping grounds - those that are still there, will help me get back on track with my life. I hope some of you know what I mean.

Sometimes you need to go back to move forward. At least I feel that I have to. The problem is the cost. I would need two weeks to really do all that want to do and with hotel and other costs - it would be expensive.

I will go though, but I am also worried - that when I do make my big return, I won't recognize anything and it will be a big disappointment. Possibly some of you that remember the same things as I do and have been to Fort Lauderdale recently can shed some light on that for me. I know it has changed - but the question is has it changed to the point where I won't care about Fort Lauderdale anymore.

Anyway, I would really love to hear from everyone that also has the same childhood memories as I do or who has been living in Fort Lauderdale for the last 20+ years and can let me know what's it like there now.

Thank you so very much.
    Small world, I went to high school literally next door to your grandparents at Coconut Creek High School. Only a stone wall seperated the seniors and the senior citizens....

Anyways, I've lived on the outskirts of Ft. Lauderdale in Broward County my entire life, much has probably changed, but much has remained.

Publix still dominates the grocery market, Fudruckers and The Crab House are alive and well. Unfortunately Peaches Music, an incredibly cool little chain of stores, is gone. Did you know that Marilyn Manson worked at the store in Boca Raton many years before hittiing it big? The main store in Ft. Lauderdale is now a Hustler Shop--no lie. Tony Roma's just recently closed up shop in S. Florida as well.

Still, although the buildings may change names, the S. Florida feel remains. The sun still shines and the beaches still beckon. The old condos on the beaches are being replaced by...new condos on the beaches. The downtown area has undergone a lot of redevelopment, and the nightlife is pretty strong. (From what I hear, being married with two kids, I don't get down there much. Although I'll be downtown tomorrow, I've got tickets to the Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Art to see the King Tut Exhibition).

There's nothing as powerful as childhood memories, whether they be sweet or sad. I hope you can find whatever it is you're seeking, but even if you can't, Ft. Lauderdale aint a bad place to visit.
    Last edited by Menlow; 02.11.06 at 10:24 PM.

Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Menlow,

Thanks for responding - I really appreciate it. We may have seen each other at some point during your high school years at a mall or something. Probably not.

Anyway, I just don't want it to be one of those childhood things that when you revisit it as an adult (like a TV show or movie that you liked) - you wonder what the hell were you thinking and realize it wasn't as good as you remembered it to be in your mind.

Obviously childhood memories are golden and I know that I will still have feeling with the smell of the Florida air, but if I go to all of my previous stomping grounds and they have become Wall Marts or whatever. It will be very sad for me.

Good thing about Fuddruckers (best burgers ever) and The Crab House. I thought Tony Roma's was a famous chain and certainly did good business. Ya, I knew Peaches closed. Do you remembers any of the other places I mentioned since you went to High School there - Tarks, Mr. Bojangles (it was fried chicken ala KFC, but so much better).

If I do go - I may have to ask you for some places to check out.

Thanks again Menlow.