Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons!!!

--an email I got--

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning .. uphill BOTH ways . through year 'round blizzards. Carrying their younger siblings on their backs ... to their one-room schoolhouse, where they

maintained a Straight-A average, despite their full- time, after-school job at the local textile mill ... where they worked for

35 cents an hour just to help keep their family from starving to death!

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that...

I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it! I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter .. with a Pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to
    hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and fuck it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like "Space Invaders" and "Asteroids" and the graphics sucked ass! Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!

And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! ... Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or someold broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no onscreen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little BRATS!!!!!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up .. we had to use the stove or go build a fire, imagine that!

If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid JiffyPop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot. That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled.

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

too true....too true

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Video games (Pong) didn't show up until I was 11.

I could cook eggs and make pancakes and waffles by the time I was 7.

We had cable t.v. with 14 channels, between 4:00 and 8:00pm, they had "Kiddie Hour"'s (usually between 4:00 and 5:00) which had cartoons like Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle, Duddly Dooright, Flinstones. Then we'd get a Gilligan Island re-run and a Beverly Hillbillies episode. One year, the cool San Jose channel had "Monster Theater", every day at 4:00pm, they'd run some old B-movies with vampires and dinosaurs. I was eight and I thought this was the coolest thing ever.

Then came the dark time, 1976. Cartoons had become more expensive and the quality of the animation flat out sucked (the animated Planet of the Apes is a prime example). So the networks went to live action kids shows on Saturday mornings. Shazam!, Land Of The Lost (out on DVD) and other drek too the airwaves. The one bright spot was the "Kroft Supershow", wich was an hour long show made up of serialized live action shows. Plus, you got the Hudson Brothers singing a new song each week. The only reason boys watched the show was to see "Elektro Woman & Dyna Girl", which featured Diedra Hall in tights. If I were old enough, I would have gotten a boner.

I dunno, I had a bike and I had GI Joes and life was perfect.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I rec'd a similar email, not exactly like this but about the same. About how kids have always had all these things and have never had to do without them. Something like that that made me feel very old.

Anyways, I loved this one. I can especially relate to having to record from the radio and the stupid djay always cutting into the songs and f'n it all up so I'd have to record it again. That's if they even played the damn song again!!!

Every morning before school, we watched the old cartoons, then more after school. I couldn't wait for Saturday mornings watching all the old shows before Bandstand came on. Then when all that was over we played outside for the rest of the day til it got dark.

Then on Sunday watching the old Shirley Temple movies.

Life was great and so easy back then.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Heh - on the first Friday of every month my company has lunch brought in, and we watch Seinfeld episodes on the projector in the conference room. One time it was tied up and we setup a computer w/ two 19" monitors. One of the younger guys was going on about how we were gonna wreck our eyes. We had to explain "This is how big television sets used to be!!!".

Another one - remember when something was really special they'd simulcast it? It'd be on an FM station at the same time because nobody had stereo tvs, much less in home dolby 5.1 systems. Even after there were some stereo televisions and broadcasts they'd do this. The last one I remember is the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary in 1988 (Zeppelin got back together w/ Jason Bonham on drums).

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

don't go trippin on Shazam! & Land Of The Lost...

SHAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAM!!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

06.23.07 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was born in '82 and had cable when I was 5, and not again until I was about 18. I remember saturday morning cartoons. Bugs and Garfield...the best of times. I remember taping songs from the radio and the DJ interrupting or not playing the whole song. I also barely remember my parents renting a VCR! Who'da thunk it? I always played outside after cartoons in the morning. I miss those days. I'd glady get rid of my modern shit to go back to the easier, care-free days.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    don't go trippin on Shazam! & Land Of The Lost...

SHAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAM!!
    Hey Land of THe Lost is kewl!!!

btw - I remember simulcast very well and recorded a great many shows.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One