Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Default New article about Roth Radio

Don't agree with everything the guy says, but it's well written.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanna rock and roll all night ... but get to bed around 9:00

By Sean Bartlett

Published: Thursday, February 2, 2006

According to Don McLean, "the day the music died" was Feb. 2, 1959, when an airplane carrying rock legends Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper crashed in a cornfield just outside of Mason City, Iowa. The accident brought an abrupt end to the lives of three highly influential rockers, but perhaps more importantly, signaled the premature demise of Rockabilly culture. '50s dance music was effectively laid to rest on that day, leaving a void that would soon be amply filled by pot, flower children and all things psychedelic.

Such significant shifts of the American zeitgeist are usually best represented through the medium of pop culture. As each decade moves toward new sets of values and social mores, our icons, who were once truly gods amongst men, are thrown by the wayside into states of relative cultural obscurity. It is a heinous fate for many pop idols, as the struggle to find a life after fame is perhaps the megalomaniac's version of an earthly purgatory; a once vibrant soul is now but a shade that prays for a death that refuses to come.

Many believe that Nirvana slew the proverbial hair-metal hydra that dominated the American music scene for an entire decade. Generally, the release of Nevermind in 1991 has been rightly pinpointed as the end of many aqua-net fueled careers. I hoped, however, that metal's raucous spirit had lived on in some regard, if only for my personal sanity. The recent, albeit mild, comeback of Motley Crue this past summer was a sign that the sentiment of the deliciously depraved 1980s had not yet yielded to our increasingly conservative society.

But if there was ever a day I would have seriously considered getting plastered on whiskey and rye at my local levee, it may have been Jan. 3, 2006. It was the day that David Lee Roth took over Howard Stern's timeslot in several East Coast radio markets after the latter made the move to uncensored satellite radio. It was also the day I realized that rock and roll hedonism was officially dead, and that the terrorists had, in fact, won.

When I think of important men who truly defined eras, three names come to mind: Lincoln, Churchill and Roth, as there is no better personification of the decadent 1980s than Diamond Dave. As the front man for Van Halen, the most influential rock band of the period, he embodied a lifestyle of impish excess that every man, woman and child in America wanted to be a part of, if only on some subconscious level. And reaching him was as simple as guiding a turntable's needle into the appropriate groove, whereupon listeners would be offered three-minute teasers into a lifestyle they could never know, transported far from their banal existences to a better place where there is no more valuable a commodity than a ripping guitar solo.

Unfortunately, Roth has now been reduced to the rock-god approximation of a nine-to-five job. As a morning disk jockey, he is locked into a Monday through Friday, four-hour gig that starts at 6:00 a.m. The only way I feel comfortable thinking of Dave up at that ungodly hour is if he's stumbling into a random hotel room after a night of strippers, Jack Daniels and misdemeanors.

Instead of discussing topics like the effects of an incredibly sexy teacher on a young student or driving cars as fast as humanly possible, Roth now goes as far as to devote his insight to more serious topics like the war in Iraq. It is a subject he is strangely conservative about, promoting a view completely antipode to everything I was taught in the school of rock. One thing is for sure: There has never been a time I have been more conscious of the fact that he is old enough to realistically be my father. Sure, the same is true for Steven Tyler, but for some reason he's exempt from such a negative characterization. At the very worst he's that cool uncle who gives you alcohol from the open bar at your cousin's wedding.

On Van Halen's self-titled debut, it is proclaimed that the protagonist of "Running with the Devil" lives his life like there's no tomorrow, and this may have been true for the David Lee Roth of 1979. But for the DLR of 2006 there is a tomorrow, one that arrives all too soon, his former self but a memory to be briefly revived in discussions on VH1's I Love the '80s. But I will always remember how that music made me smile, regardless of the fact that its godfather can no longer wear his badge of chemically-altered honor.

Sean Bartlett, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, is a weekly columnist for The Daily Free Press. He can be reached at srb@bu.edu.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

11.14.12 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If the guy who wrote this didn't take time off before heading off to the college of Arts & Sciences, he was likely BORN in 1984.

Whoa...

Great article though.
    yeah.......i'm still here.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Kids know it all these days don't they.

He knows from nothin.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If the author is looking for a medium to revive the "raucous spirit of metal" then I think he's looking in the wrong place. As he pointed out, this is the radio at 6am in the morning. Maybe he should try hanging out at bars and strip clubs for that "lifestyle of impish excess".
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Poor Dave. He just can't win. He spends the last 2 decades pretending
    it's 1984, and he's a parody of himself. He decides to grow up and he
    single-handedly kills rock n roll. Alas.

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

That was an excellent read by a future, fellow BU alum. But, I'm left wondering what he thinks of the radio show.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    That was an excellent read by a future, fellow BU alum. But, I'm left wondering what he thinks of the radio show.
    BU alum right here also..SMG class of 1990!
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

DLR's problem is that he's human and he got old. Old age destroyed the Diamond Dave myth.
    If Dave had killed himself on January 1st 1985, he'd be revered as the greatest rock frontman ever.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

WTF???

I don't think anyone is immune from the ravages of time.

Even the Diamond One.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Medicine Man

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer
    DLR's problem is that he's human and he got old. Old age destroyed the Diamond Dave myth.
    If Dave had killed himself on January 1st 1985, he'd be revered as the greatest rock frontman ever.
    Diamond David Lee Roth IS the greatest rock frontman ever. Natch'l fact, Jack!! That's the truth nah.

DLR ain't human, he's an action figure.

I blame Eddie and Al for helping bust the Diamond Dave myth... they've never been able to STFU and protect the Van Halen legend.

I done got old, cain't do the things I used to do...cuz I done got old...--Junior Kimbrough
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:06 PM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons
    I blame Eddie and Al for helping bust the Diamond Dave myth... they've never been able to STFU and protect the Van Halen legend.
    Ah yes, the Diamond Dave myth.

It didn't help that he quit the greatest American rock band ever on his own accord.

Or alienating the members of his next super-band ala Sheehan and Vai, furthering the perception that perhaps he's somewhat difficult in nature.

Or getting busted for dime bags in the park.

Or doing a Vegas sideshow review with members of the Miami Sound Machine.

Or doing lame cover albums again and again.

Or going off half-cocked or half-baked in virtually every interview he's ever done, Ever.

Or wearing purple and gold spandex post-forty, at anytime, in any place, for whatever reason.

Or taking even a smidgen of the Dee Snider route and tossing sound bytes on hack VH 1 nostalgia shows.

Or replacing the biggest DJ on the planet and having members of his family come in to do interviews, all the while hawking label makers and Cadillacs.

In short, Davey has done more than his fair share to lower the defenses on the once great fortress of Van Halen. He is no more or less guilty than Edwina, Alexia, and Spambo.

The sole members still retaining their honor with little to no fuckstain, remain as always one Michael Anthony and one Gary Cherone.

In my opinion, of course.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons
    Diamond David Lee Roth IS the greatest rock frontman ever. Natch'l fact, Jack!! That's the truth nah.

DLR ain't human, he's an action figure.

I done got old, cain't do the things I used to do...cuz I done got old...--Junior Kimbrough
    Man,..my first concert was when i was 14....and i will always be an ED fan but vh was so fucking massively huge and almost "action figurish" that whole fucking 1984 tour was talk of the town when they came to town , yes it was an amazing thing , parents were fookin' cringing, priests were praying, pastors were passing out,Dads were lockin' doors, Moms were horny....drugs and booze were a plenty...and we all got along....

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Yep. Those were good times.

Damn good times.

btw - I believe I'll be taking all four of them to go.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Van Squalen, that's what I say. Public perception of someone like Roth would be totally different if he died on January 1985.
    If Lennon had grown old, he would've made some mistakes and the myth, while still huge, wouldn't be as big as it is now.
    If he was still alive, Jim Morrison would probably be bald and weighing 300 pounds. Cobain marred in lawsuits against Courtney, and Hendrix embarassed by guest appearances on Michael Jackson records.

Yeah DRL made some mistakes but the DLR myth had an expiration date from the start coz it only worked with a young Dave.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's two entities here. Diamond Dave the rock star, of a one, kickass rock and roll machine from days of yore. Then, there is David Lee Roth. The mostly private, guarded man we don't really get to see or hear from as much as we'd like.

Sure, DLR has probably hurt his cred a little bit, but he's a person who takes chances. People get older. They change. But you can't take anything away from the old days of Diamond Dave.

The writer of this review sounds young. I think too many people are wanting Dave to be just like Stern, who caters to the dumb and dumber. Dave is far more intelligent. He needs a better crew to make his radio show better and certain other things. It wasn't going to be spectacular right away. He needs a little time to find the groove.