Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Evidently, Military Historians Don't Have Magic Powers.

I've had my Wyllie Coyote moment for the year.

I'm out at Fort Ord, camera in tow, to photograph the progess of the demolition of the old WWII barracks at the front of the base. Plus , it's a great place to practice photography, but I digress. As I'm wander the 1/2 mile mark and weave amoungst the barracks my eye catches something inside one of the dark wooden barracks. I slide in closer and whip up my shades and damned if there isn't a kick-ass mural painted inside of this one structure ( it was once a mess hall, there was a kitchen on one side, but this room was cut off and looked like an old briefing/day room.)

I'm stoked, this is an unexpected find.

As the 7th Infantry historian, it's my mission to document all things 7th Infantry related, so I've got to go inside and get pictures. One problem, the stairs show signs of serious rotting and I'm a big (re: fat) guy. The building is on a hill, the stairs sit above a concrete walkway and the damage on the deck area shows that somebody has already had a spill there. I take off my Walkman (Discman, whatever), fold it inside my camo-boonie cap and hide it under that stairs and crawl up the stair way, carefully avoiding the nails and putting my weight on the center support.
    Then the problen is makingthe transition from prone to standing, the best thing is to get inside and stand up there. First, the deck won't hold me and second, I'm totally treaspassing and breaking both state and federal laws so I want to maintain a low profile. I can see the hearing now:

Arresting Officer: Well ,your honor, I was driving by and saw this huge ass reflected in the 4 O'Clock sun. There is no zoo nearbye and the closest cattle ranch is 16 miles away...

Anyway, I'm now looking at shards of broken glass, which I carefully sweep away and then I advanvce into the vestibule of the structure and stand up. I pick up my Cannon and point it towards the cool mural, which depicts 7thID Lightfighters advancing across a beach with Cobras overhead and an M-60 position hosing down bad guys. I snap off maybe seven shots and then I repeat the crawling to get back down the stairs. I retrieve my cap and gear and brush myself off. I suddenly feel eyes upon me. CRAP! Busted! I look around but don't see anyone, at first, then I see him. About 15 yards from me is a large Grey Fox. Evidently I was a source of entertainment for him because he just looked at me the way your dog does when you are doing something that makes no sense to him. I got some pictures of him because ...what the hell?
    Then I'm off and on my way back to my truck, feeling great that I've saved a small piece of history. It is then that I spy another open building that's recently been opened, thinking that there might be a mural inside I head on over. There is a small landing, about 4' X 8', at the top of four stairs so it's about four feet off of the ground. The stairs look okay, no sign of rot, so I walk right up and hang my head inside of the door. Nothing, just an empty room with empty offices off to the right. So I turn around to walk back down and I hear a small:

Crrrrrk

The entire landing collapses like a jack knife and one second I'm in a door way and the next the bottom of the doorframe is at my navel. I do a quick check to make sure nobody saw that, straighten my cap and walk across where the stairs use to be. I'm suprised I'm not hurt but then I remember a line in the Bible about God loving retards and going out of his way to protect them.

So, I'm Axxman300, and I'm a retard.
    Last edited by Axxman300; 02.06.06 at 05:53 PM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

So what precinct do I report this to again??

You're damn lucky you made it outta there okay.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Some of those old barracks must really be showing their age. To give folks an idea, most of the WW2 "temporary" barracks that were tossed up were only meant to be used for the duration of the war. Sixty years later, they're in pretty bad shape.

The ones at Ft. Knox had signs on them that said "Slated for Destruction, FY93." This was in the mid to late '90s. There were always Boy Scout camps run on the post, and we would take the kids on an airfield tour. I'll never forget this one kid's face as he told me the building there were staying in was condemned five years earlier! Yeah, don't tell that to mom...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Axx, your going to get yourself killed taking these pictures man!

But it is damn cool what your doing.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    I pick up my Cannon and point it towards the cool mural
    20 or 30 MM?
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Axx, glad to hear your okay but you need to post the fruits of your labor and show us the pics.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I use a 35mm Cannon Rebel. It's not digital, so I've got to get the film processed this week. Hopefully they came out or I'll have to go back with my trust disposable 35mm Kodak, those things never fail.

I don't usually treaspass, the Fort Ord Reuse Authority is cool to work with. I almost never go inside those old WWII barracks precisely because of their age and deterioration. It's funny because the floors inside are in GREAT shape, this is from all of those years of hapless Privates mopping and waxing the floors until they could eat off of them.

I'm going to get an account at one of those photo sites so I can post my black & white pictures.

Mike, the thing with those barracks is that they were painted with lead paint (Gasp!), so they can't be torn down unless they have a special disposal site for the exterior lumber. They only just started demolition on half of the WWII section last November, this is because they located a firm that has a special incinerator that burns the wood and recyles the lead. about 30% of the lumber is recycled as well. It's amazing because they also have to remove the soil down about three feet all the way across the landscape. The soil is collected in specially line dams, which are 2 football fields long. Even the cement is being crushed and recycled on site.
    This is all very expensive, so I can see where the Army is taking it's time and hoping for a fire or two.

When I get them back I'll post them.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300