Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sammy interview

Last Online

06.21.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts

Default Sammy interview

This is an interview from Classic Rock Revisited Sept. 2005:

Jeb: Sammy, I know your focus is on your solo career and your businesses but I have readers who will kill me if I donít ask this question. Is Van Halen done?

Sammy: I donít know. It is right now. They can do whatever they want. If Ed and Al want to get a new singer and a new bass player then they can do whatever they want. I wouldnít complain and I wouldnít say that they shouldnít have done that. What I would say is that I think it is a big mistake to do that. I would never try to run their lives like they do me. They are free to do whatever they want. The way they want to do business and the way they want to mingle with their co-band members and other people who are involved in their organization, I donít want any part of. I am a very happy guy. I have found a happy life. If their lifestyle could fit in with mine then I would have no problem doing it again. I think it is inevitable.

Honestly, straight up, Eddie has changed a lot. Alex is okay and Mikey and I are best friends. Eddie, for me, is the problem. If you talked to Eddie then I am sure he would tell you that I am the problem. If he doesnít like my lifestyle then I understand that. He wants to be miserable and I want to be happy Ė it is really that simple. If Eddie wants to be friends again and not do this just for business or for other kinds of reasons Ė I really donít know why he wants to do it. I donít even know if he even wants to do it. But if he wants to do it and do it for the right reasons and get together on a really good level then I would do it. I thought it was going to be great. I was all for the last reunion and it turned out to be pretty fucking tough finishing that tour out. I have to tell you that there were times on that tour that after a show it was like, "Get Sammy out that door and get Eddie out the other door." That ainít no way to do things. I am not interested in yelling and screaming at anybody much less having someone yell and scream at me for having fun. It is like, "Hey, get the fuck out of my face, dude." There were too many rules Ė lets put it like that for me. I was told that I canít do this or I canít do that or I canít say this or I canít say that. Yet, Eddie can go say and do the shit that he did? No way. Right now, it is over for me but if they want to do it on real terms and with no rules and no business shit then I am fine.

Jeb: Last one: Since I was 15 I have been in love with the girl on the Standing Hampton cover. Who is she?

Sammy: I didnít fuck her!

Jeb: That ruins my follow up question!

Sammy: I donít even know who she was. They brought her in and I was not even there for the photo session. They guy who is in the picture with the top hat is Moshe Brakha. He designed the cover and he was the photographer. Not only was that son of a bitch there, he got in the picture and heís the guy that probably got some of that. That girl was fine!

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:09 AM
    Liked 2,100 Times in 686 Posts

Sammy: "...if they want to do it on real terms and with no rules and no business shit then I am fine."

This WILL happen, they will get together and make peace and the brothers will have to cut Sammy some slack with all these stupid rules and just go out there and have FUN and make GREAT music again.

Eddie just said in Hit Parader he has no problem with Sammy, that they have an understanding. I think Sammy just needed some space from it all. After the solo stuff this year they'll reconvene. Im sure!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doubtful it will ever happen with Hagar again. Too much bad blood there as well. You think DLR was bad? Hagar doesn't know when to shut his yap!

As we know it, Van Halen's career is over. At this point, Ed should just release an instrumental and call it good.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:09 AM
    Liked 2,100 Times in 686 Posts

Eddie just said he wouldn't release an instrumental Cd.
    He also said him and Sam have an understanding and that all was fine with him.

I think they'll do it again, sometime in 2007.
    But Eddie will have to let go of the rules.
    Sammy's cool with Al and loves Mikey, it's just Eddie...

Sammy: "...we signed on for 80, we did 80 shows, and at the end of that, I think it was better to let that go for awhile. I'm not saying that we would never do it again, but some people would have to change, including maybe myself ó maybe I'm the first guy that should change. But we would have to change. We couldn't just do it the way it was being done."

Up to Eddie

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.11 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York
    Eddie just said he wouldn't release an instrumental Cd.
    He also said him and Sam have an understanding and that all was fine with him.

I think they'll do it again, sometime in 2007.
    But Eddie will have to let go of the rules.
    Sammy's cool with Al and loves Mikey, it's just Eddie...

Sammy: "...we signed on for 80, we did 80 shows, and at the end of that, I think it was better to let that go for awhile. I'm not saying that we would never do it again, but some people would have to change, including maybe myself ó maybe I'm the first guy that should change. But we would have to change. We couldn't just do it the way it was being done."

Up to Eddie
    Ah to be young and stupid again... If these guys were hungry again, it would be a totally different situation. We keep hoping they will change, but I believe they are too old and set in there ways.
    Fair Warning... It's 5150 Time!!

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I wish Sammy would just shut the f*@$ up. He wouldn't be in the position he is now if it weren't for the mighty Van Halen. So what if there are rules, they are probably there to keep Sammy from making a mockery of Van Halen, e.g., hawking the Cabo Wabo any chance he gets.

If it weren't for Van Halen, Sammy Hagar's career would have gone the way of Billy Squier. Who do you trust really? The band that has created such great music throughout their career or Sammy who's pre Van Halen career was mediocre at best.

BTW, I am a fan of both eras and was very disappointed when Sammy left the band the first time because I did think that he possessed the more powerful voice, but I'm just sick of his holier than thou attitude.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Liked 572 Times in 313 Posts

Donor

Eddie has turned into a huge control freak. The worst thing that ever could have happened to Van Halen was letting Eddie have control.

He is a musical wizard with a guitar in his hands. In any other capacity, he is a child.

He needs to write music, play music, and be kept the hell away from everything else in the business...the producing, recording, engineering, lyrics....everything.

Van Halen was at their best, whether Sammy or Dave was the singer, when they had someone like Ted Templeman and Donn Landee calling the shots in the studio.

Eddie has consistently said in interviews throughout the years that he wanted more control over the sound.
    He said that Landee pretty much kept him away from the controls.
    He said that they basically said "get over here guitar guy, and play this".
    Templeman had a huge hand in actually putting the songs together and arranging them, along with DLR.
    Same with Sammy. Sammy even said that of all the "ten albums' worth of material" Eddie claimed to have, all it really was was a crapload of riffs and melodies that didn't even resemble songs.

After both the lead singers the band has had, Eddie complained that they held him back, were control freaks, yadda yadda.

What the f... ever.

Now we see, since he has complete control, what he's capable of. Nothing.
    He can't do shit without someone to either guide or tell him what to do.

He simply isn't capable of having control, and he's doing a fine job of demonstrating that right now.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

At least we have the new Kevin Federline release to look forward to.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, ďTokyo Dome In Concert,Ē is available for purchase, and itís super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay
    At least we have the new Kevin Federline release to look forward to.
    that's it... a k-fed collaboration with eddie... (shudders...)
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

This is an old interview that had already been posted here. I'm too lazy to do the search, but I know I've seen it here before. A lot could've happened between then and now between Ed and Sam.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York
    Sammy: "...if they want to do it on real terms and with no rules and no business shit then I am fine."

This WILL happen, they will get together and make peace and the brothers will have to cut Sammy some slack with all these stupid rules and just go out there and have FUN and make GREAT music again.

Eddie just said in Hit Parader he has no problem with Sammy, that they have an understanding. I think Sammy just needed some space from it all. After the solo stuff this year they'll reconvene. Im sure!
    I agree that I think they will go on tour again, although I would want them to record a new album or new material before going out there again, however over the past 10 years Ed has maintainted the fact that he and Sammy "never did not get along"(to quote Ed himself). He never said that they weren't friends or anything like that. I hope that they do have an understanding between each other but just because Ed says that they understand each other doesn;t mean that all is well. This is not meant to be pesimistic but that's just what I think.

Ed and Sam bury the hatchet... times running out.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He needs to write music, play music, and be kept the hell away from everything else in the business...the producing, recording, engineering, lyrics....everything."

Yeah, cause Sammy writes such great lyrics..... Sammy wouldn't even be a real name if it wasn't for Van Halen. Yeah, I like some of his solo songs, but nothing he did as a solo artist is 5 star worthy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 PM
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts

Donor

Shame none of these so called "Rules" did not include dressing like a clown and signing autographs to everyone in the first few rows instead of "Actually Singing" to the WHOLE crowd ....

Maybe next tour we can include these rules "Spamming Sammy"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My take is it seems the still underlining issue is Eddie's miserable, paranoid, Howard Hughes stick-in-a-rut workaholic living up against Sammy's lack of work ethic issue which doesn't want to agree with each other.

Understandably, Ed has been through alot (divorce, cancer, battles with the bottle, public sledging from previous lead singers) and needs to learn how to live normal, as well as finding his friendship with Sammy again. Sammy too, since he is pushing 60 purely wants to live life to the max and prefers doing the things he loves.

If Eddie can only be normal and happy again, so to inspire Sammy to work his butt off to produce great music together again, then we'd only have the Rothtards complaining.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spool
    Shame none of these so called "Rules" did not include dressing like a clown and signing autographs to everyone in the first few rows instead of "Actually Singing" to the WHOLE crowd ....

Maybe next tour we can include these rules "Spamming Sammy"
    And how many shows did you attend where your witnessed the "lack of singing"?

I went to three shows and saw some of it going on...but to the point where the show was disrupted, I don't think so. Who really gives a shit if he missed a word or a verse here or there....christ, just throw in the 83 US Festival.

As far as dress, who cares, guys in bands have always been horrible dressers on stage, just kinda there thing. Whether it's leather chaps, peach colored parachurte pants or bright yellow and red shit....most of us wouldn't be caught dead in what "rock stars" wear on stage.

And for the record, out of 3 shows, not one mention of Cabo Wabo Tequila.
    And for the record, I own ZERO Sammy Hagar albums and consider UFB a steamin' pile of shit.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett