Thread: Black Sabbath

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Default Black Sabbath

from www.billboard.com:

Warner Bros./Rhino will celebrate Black Sabbath's induction into the Rock and Hall of Fame with "Greatest Hits 1970-1978," due March 14, the day after the ceremony. The 16-track set is drawn exclusively from the eight studio albums recorded by the original lineup of vocalist Ozzy Osbourne, guitarist Tony Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward.

The chronological collection begins with early cuts like "Black Sabbath" and "N.I.B.," proceeds to mid-period classics like "War Pigs," "Paranoid," "Iron Man" and "Sweet Leaf" and wraps with the title cut of 1978's "Never Say Die" and "Dirty Women" from 1976's "Technical Ecstasy."

Here is the track list for "Greatest Hits 1970-1978":

"Black Sabbath"
    "N.I.B."
    "The Wizard"
    "War Pigs"
    "Paranoid"
    "Iron Man"
    "Sweet Leaf"
    "Children of the Grave"
    "Changes"
    "Snowblind"
    "Supernaut"
    "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"
    "Hole in the Sky"
    "Rock 'N' Roll Doctor"
    "Never Say Die"
    "Dirty Women"

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like this stuff too Billy....you're not alone...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

from www.billboard.com:

Although Black Sabbath did not perform (Ozzy Osbourne's reasons: "My balls were hurting me" and "If we'd played, everybody would have been f*cking dead at the end of it"), its members generated a number of humorous moments in the press room. Osbourne repeatedly strained to hear the questions, to the point where his colleagues were repeating them back to him while he cracked up with laughter.

Ozzy on his opinion about why the Sex Pistols didn't show up: "The Sex Pistols ain't nothing to do with me. What I think about that doesn't mean anything. They had a choice, you know?"

Ozzy on the state of current hard rock: "Metal is alive and kicking as much as it was ever." On what it was about Black Sabbath's music that seemed to scare off the mainstream media: "I've been asking myself the same forever. Because the press and the media put us down, the fans got really united."

Asked what, if anything, will be next from Sabbath, who have toured with Ozzfest in recent years but haven't released a new studio album with its original lineup since 1978, guitarist Tony Iommi reported, "We don't know yet."

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Black Sabbath - Hammersmith Odeon 1978
    --------------------------------

Venue: Hammersmith Odeon
    City: London, UK
    Date: 19.06.1978
    Quality: 9+/10 Soundboard - 320 kbps

Setlist:
    1. Symptom Of The Universe
    2.War Pigs
    3.Snowblind
    4.Never Say Die
    5.Black Sabbath
    6.Dirty Women/Drum Solo
    7.Rock N Roll Doctor/Guitar Solo
    8.Electric Funeral
    9.Children Of The Grave
    10.Paranoid

Code:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/18799709/CD_1.zip.html
    http://rapidshare.de/files/18799449/CD_2.zip.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

The last thing Black Sabbath needs is another greatest hits. What a fucking money grab.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sabbath..or Sharon

Baluchitherium Leo Van Newhouse's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.14.13 @ 03:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Black Sharon
    THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT : Representing DAVID LEE ROTH in all his glory!!!!!!!!!

JH: "How was your New Years Eve show at the House Of Blues?"
    DLR: "James...I AM New Years Eve!"

"To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding?" David Lee Roth

"I'm gonna want to rock out w/ my cock out instead of playing anal taper dork." Colonel Sanders

ANOTHER HOSTILE TAKEOVER COMING YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love
    The last thing Black Sabbath needs is another greatest hits. What a fucking money grab.

I picked that cd up for $9 at Wal-Mart because I was hoping the remastering would sound good. (and because it was so cheap )

It does sound amazing, but they edited the shit out of "Iron Man", they cut it down to like 3 1/2 minutes The song choices are a bit odd too.

Don't buy it!!!!!!
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 04.25.06 at 06:20 AM. Reason: I am Iron Ma.... edit

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

F that.

If ya wanna buy anything, pick up the Iommi/Hughes cd. Great stuff.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

I picked up the boxed set Black Box, it contains everything from "Black Sabbath" to "Never Say Die" remastered (We Sold Our Souls is not included). These releases were begging for remastering, but so far only this box set and their most recent Greatest Hits is remastered. The Box set is pretty pricey new ($90), but you can find a decent used one for $50.

Now they need to remaster "Heaven and Hell" & "The Mob Rules."
    Last edited by wombattt; 04.25.06 at 09:18 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

This is a demo of the band after ian Gillan left doing a number called "No Way Out". The line-up was Tony Iommi, Geezer butler, Bill Ward, and David Donato.
    Demo Track: No Way Out

Can you tell us about the David Donato period? Did you even rehearse with him before he was fired?

-Bill Ward
    Yes, I knew David. He is a very nice gentleman. I liked the guy a lot. But keep in mind that the biggest thing that was going on for me during this period (of recording Born Again and doing rehearsals in 1984 with Black Sabbath and David Donato) was that I was fighting for my life at that time. After Born Again, I had got drunk again and went through a horrible period which lasted for about four months. I finally came back into reality. I think it was January 2nd or 3rd, 1984.

When I got sober in 1984, sobriety became my absolute number one focus. It had to be. I knew it was life or death, so I knew that's where my focus had to be. I know that it can sound pretty selfish and in a way it IS selfish, but as I said, I was fighting for my life at the time. So when I started rehearsals with the Sabbs (Tony, Geez and David Donato), I was very new again in my sobriety (and) starting yet another period of sobriety. And it felt different this time (around). My sobriety felt different in the sense that I knew that I had to be ruthlessly honest with the guys, which is something that I had failed to do in 1983. I had a very bitter experience in 1983, even though I loved doing the album. I knew that I needed to be honest with myself and everybody around me.

During the rehearsals with David Donato, I knew that one of the reasons why I'd been unhappy and why I couldn't allow myself to be fully immersed in the band, was because Ozz wasn't there.... and it was a nagging truth. It was something I had to come to terms with that and in very early 1984 I came to term with that truth. I was honest enough to admit that to myself, and admit that to Tony and Geezer at that time. So, very very sadly, I left Black Sabbath. And this time, I didn't drink. I didn't do what I had done in 1983 and stayed sober. And I left with some honor and dignity. I left because I didn't want to bring any more trouble to the guys in the band. I didn't want to hurt anybody again.

The truth of the matter was I was having a very tough time with the idea of me, Tony and Geezer playing with another singer. There had already been two singers [after Ozzy] at the time. I had a tough time bringing myself to that realization of being with a different singer again. So I very sadly bowed out and left the band.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So no word on the Dio years box set?

That's probably the next Black Sabbath related thing that will actually be worth buying.... assuming there's some bonuses in there and not just straight re-issues of their three studio albums.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Can't wait for the Dio stuff to be re-released.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

I just picked up the last Dio/Sabbath disk, Dehumanizer...great stuff, I'd say pick this up if you can it's outstanding.

Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dio Rejoining Black Sabbath?

Some weird shit swirling about Dio rejoining Black Sabbath for an early 2007 box set/ home video with some new tracks and short tour most likely only in Europe.

Among some of the rumors are the tidbits that they won't actually tour as "Black Sabbath" but as "Heaven and Hell" either because Dio has repeatedly claimed he'll never rejoin "Black Sabbath" and/or wants to respect the Ozzy legacy or because Sharone Osbourne/Ozzy have partial ownership to the Sabbath name and could possibly cause legal problems if they tour under the Sabbath moniker (although supposedly Tony Iommi bought out Ozzy's stake in the band name in the late 80's).

Also, supposedly it was going to be Dio and Iommi along with Geezer Butler and Bill Ward recording the couple of new tracks and touring but Sharon Osbourne(!) actually paid Ward and Butler to not tour as part of this band - that's right, they got paid to stay home if you believe this rumor!

It *is* confirmed that Dio did recently record two new songs for the box set ("Black Sabbath: The Dio Years," a followup to the "Ozzy Years" box) with at least Iommi and it appears likely theer will be a lot of previously unreleased old material as well as a live dvd from the "Mob Rules" tour.

Personally, I'd love to see a Dio/Sabbath reunion tour as I only saw them once back in '82 or so during the Mob Rules tour and by the time I saw the same lineup again in '93, Dio had abruptly quit the band (Rob Halford replaced him for those two shows) before the Costa Mesa show where Ozzy rejoined them onstage for a few songs.

T.B.