Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Default 1996 MTV Awards... something that has always puzzled me.

Ok.. now I know I'm blonde and all that, but just noticed Tankman's avatar of the pic of the MTV awards witn Dave and it reminded me of something that stuck me as kinda odd at the time.

From the moment Sammy joined the band, Ed's trade mark dungerees (overalls.. whatever the US version) disappeared, never to be seen again during the Sammy era. They were obviously a thing of the past as they were deemed to be part of the CVH image.

On the awards night, he wore, once again, his trademark dungerees. As soon as I saw them I thought, yes.. he must be serious about this reunion as he's reverted to the classic Ed image. I made me wonder if this really was the intention, to revive CVH, cos once again.. they disappeared, or was it jst a publicity stunt to boost sales.

Is this just a stupid notion???
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

I think he's worn overalls during the Van Hagar era...I believe he wore a set at one of the FUCK shows I saw, if I recall right. Or maybe it was the OU812 show in San Diego.

However, the candy-striped leg warmers DID disappear with the demise of CVH. One wonders what might have went down if he'd only thrown the Flashdance leggings on again at the MTV awards.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

I dunno babe, I have never seen a pic of him during the Hagar era wearing these. If anyone has a pic I'd love to see it.

I remember after the split with Dave how he was glad to be able to choose what he wanted to wear without Daves input!! And then wore MC Hammers cast offs!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Donor

Didn't he wear overalls on the last reunion tour at some point? Thought I remembered seeing pics of that.

We should maybe ask those dudes that were keeping track of his footwear, hair styles, nightly shampoo brands, and general assorted Edwear du jour.

Myself, I think Ed's a Pantene Man. However, it seems he's given up on the Zoom treatments at the dentist.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

No babe, not during the last tour. I have a huge collection of pics from all the tours. Like I said, I have none of him wearing them after 84 till the awards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Donor

Okay, so your meaning is, because Ed deigned to put on the overalls again, there was indeed some serious consideration being given to the reunion?

If so, Dave was seriously underdressed.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Okay, so your meaning is, because Ed deigned to put on the overalls again, there was indeed some serious consideration being given to the reunion?

If so, Dave was seriously underdressed.
    Nope but it created a reminisance of the old era. Classic Ed. Perhaps to sell the idea of CVH for publicity only.
    Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 02.03.06 at 03:50 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Donor

What's really a shame is that instead of presenting an award together, they didn't bust out an old classic onstage together. Now that would've been memorable, but also just too much of a dangling carrot, apparently.

Angie, I wasn't ragging. I was trying to follow your train of thought; i.e., the clothes may have, at least in the moment, indicated more of a thing than the thing actually was, or maybe Ed was trying to be in the moment, or maybe, like you said, it was additional publicity stunting, although I can't imagine that MTV audience would've remembered Ed's distinct costume choice from the old days. If they really wanted to milk a CVH image, Ed's overalls wouldn't have made half as much an impression as Dave chuckin' on some spandex.

LOL, I still think about Ed's expectations that night, whether or not alterior plans were in place. He sure got pissy backstage in a hurry. Never understood that, myself...what did he think was gonna happen? 'Oh, we're just hangin' with Dave tonight, cut a coupla tracks for a Greatest Hits, no big whoop...what, you wanna ask questions? What the hell for? My hip hurts, buy the new compilation LP, end of story."

Duh, Ed.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Fact is babe, the fact that Dave was there was to sell the idea that CVH was reunited. According to Dave he was told to milk it. A lot of the people who stood up for the ovation were, people who knew the old VH. Ed in his old preferred get up only added to that illusion. At least, to me it did and still does. A man chooses to wear an item (one that was trademark in his past career) for the first time in over 10 years on stage, I thought it kinda significant, but then who knows. I'd still be interested to know if he ever wore them during the Hagar era.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Donor

Yeah, I remember in Dave's book when he maintained he was told to milk it (it was Alex, I believe, who was egging him on).

There's no doubt they were cock teasing us all..but for what final intent and purpose, is still debated, although the most likely explanation is the one we all wank about to this day...album sales, not a real reunion.

Still, if it was all about the dough, and not some new bad ass reincarnation, why not just stick it out for a year, cut a new LP and tour it, make a bazillion bones instead of a quarter bazillion?

Those guys really ought to think in a bit more grander terms, if they're really about the greenbacks when it comes to reunions.

Just seems stupid to do it half-ass, with a Greatest Hits and a cocktease on an MTV appearance. Why not just deal with the BS for twelve months, make a mint and fucking retire?

Tomatoes, potatoes.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting assumption.

It was probably nothing more than a harmless act by Ed to relive a moment of the past when that timing was suitable, perhaps appropriate for it. Kinda like when Sylvester Stallone put his black hat back on in Rocky V, I suppose.

Don't think there was any hidden message behind it.

Maybe it was Ray Danniels' idea to pull the wool over the fans eyes with deceptive imagery.

Or maybe it was just a coincidence?
    Last edited by Rovus; 02.03.06 at 04:45 PM.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    From the moment Sammy joined the band, Ed's trade mark dungerees (overalls.. whatever the US version) disappeared, never to be seen again during the Sammy era. They were obviously a thing of the past as they were deemed to be part of the CVH image.
    Babe, many things disappeared from Van Halen once Sammy joined.

To the best of my knowledge at least Ed never wore those gay pink pants again. The ones from the "Live Without A Singer" DVD.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC

To the best of my knowledge at least Ed never wore those gay pink pants again. The ones from the "Live Without A Singer" DVD.
    LOL.. Fanatic.. the pink pants I can live without... the tight little tush in the dungerees disappearing was a goddam travesty!!!

Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 02.03.06 at 06:26 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC

The ones from the "Live Without A Singer" DVD.
    Dude, you and VS get a thread closed because of you and Squalen's usual rants against each other.....then you come back with this shit? Grrrreat!
    Just go for it!

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    Ok.. now I know I'm blonde and all that, but just noticed Tankman's avatar of the pic of the MTV awards witn Dave and it reminded me of something that stuck me as kinda odd at the time.

On the awards night, he wore, once again, his trademark dungerees. As soon as I saw them I thought, yes.. he must be serious about this reunion as he's reverted to the classic Ed image. I made me wonder if this really was the intention, to revive CVH, cos once again.. they disappeared, or was it jst a publicity stunt to boost sales.

Is this just a stupid notion???
    Hon, you know how much I care for you (I hope!), but it's irrelevant...not being a dick, but this shit is done forever...