Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Trade My EBMM Axis for an Ibanez Destroyer?

Folks,

I am seriously considering trading my EBMM Axis for a '76 Ibanez Destroyer straight up. I perceive both guitars' current market values to be pretty equal. This takes into account the "collectabilty"/reputation of the Destroyer, which is slightly offset by its condition, which I'd rate 7/10 at best. My guitar is in much better shape and comes with a d-Tuna, but does not have any "wow factor". Obviously I'd be losing the trem if I make the trade, but I hardly use mine any more.

Interestingly, the seller believes his Destroyer is made of Korina, but to me the grain looks more like Ash. Does anybody know what wood was used to make '76 Destroyers? Personally, I have only owned Mahogany, Basswood and Alder-bodied guitars. Through some internet research I've found that Korina is supposed to sound like Mahogany, but is much lighter. I've also read that Ash is somewhat similar to Alder, but is much brighter in the upper-mids. Can anyone comment on which wood is "best" in an Explorer/Destroyer guitar. Korina seems to have a esteemed history, but I cannot comment if this reputation is fact or fiction. Unfortunately I will not have the luxury of playing the guitar first, so I am really interested to hear of your thoughts.

I'd love to hear what y'all think about this? I'm am overestimating the Destroyer and underestimating the Axis?

Many Thanks,
    Cheddie

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JMO, but I'd go ahead a make the trade.
    If it were an EBMM EVH, I might think twice, but as for investment purposes, I think Destroyers are far more rare and more sought after by collectors than an AXIS. You can always buy another AXIS. It may be much more difficult finding another 1976 Destroyer. I'd do it.

JMO

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:26 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

I agree. You can always get another Axis. I recently traded mine for a Budda amp. They are pretty rare around here, and the tone will change your life, so I did it. I have to admit that it's hard to get over the Axis being gone. Every time I pick up the Strat, I miss the Axis.

Whatever you do, give it some thought. Don't do an impulse trade. Give it a couple days and do some research.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

The seller confirmed last night that the guitar body is in fact swamp ash. How do humbuckers sound in a swamp ash-bodied guitar?