Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 5150 kramer body wood..

Hey folks,

does anyone know what Ed's kramer 5150 was made out of? I was always under the impression it was alder...as basswood hadn't really become the 'buzzwood' it was until EVH/ebmm came out with the MusicMan...

Anyone know?

-Frank

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

According to vintagekramer.com, the 5150 was a Pacer Special body made out of either poplar or basswood.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berseker
    According to vintagekramer.com, the 5150 was a Pacer Special body made out of either poplar or basswood.
    Yeah, I saw that...that's actually what made me question it...Since I don't know if I trust that info...

But regardless, if anyone knows for sure (or as close as you can get)...that would be great...

-F

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, people at vintagekramer know their stuff, there are several interviews with different people who worked at Kramer and actually met and worked with Eddie.
    I don't think you can find better infos, if they don't know what they're talking about then I don't know who will.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berseker
    Well, people at vintagekramer know their stuff, there are several interviews with different people who worked at Kramer and actually met and worked with Eddie.
    I don't think you can find better infos, if they don't know what they're talking about then I don't know who will.
    Well, you might be right...I dunno...

I was just under the impression that Basswood was not a commonly used wood in the 80s....and that all of the various korean and japanese import guitars, like the ESPs and the Ibanez's were all poplar...

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by strangegrey
    Well, you might be right...I dunno...

I was just under the impression that Basswood was not a commonly used wood in the 80s....and that all of the various korean and japanese import guitars, like the ESPs and the Ibanez's were all poplar...
    Japanese Charvels were mostly made with basswood (like my old Model 2) with the exception of the through neck Model 5 and 6 which were poplar.
    Last edited by Charvel2; 01.30.06 at 04:12 AM.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2
    Japanese Charvels were mostly made with basswood (like my old Model 2) with the exception of the through neck Model 5 and 6 which were poplar.
    Right, but this has nothing to do with the charvel that ed used back in the day...afaik, that body was cut here in the states.

I guess what makes me question this is the lack of any discussion of basswood prior to 1990. It seems like prior to 90, Ed didn't mention basswood one bit...however, after 1990, every chance he got, he described the wood as complete tonal nirvana...

Now maybe, prior to the EBMM EVH, he had no idea what wood his guitars were made of...maybe for all he knew, the things were built out of plywood...

I dunno...it just seems odd to me...

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by strangegrey
    Right, but this has nothing to do with the charvel that ed used back in the day...afaik, that body was cut here in the states.

I guess what makes me question this is the lack of any discussion of basswood prior to 1990. It seems like prior to 90, Ed didn't mention basswood one bit...however, after 1990, every chance he got, he described the wood as complete tonal nirvana...

Now maybe, prior to the EBMM EVH, he had no idea what wood his guitars were made of...maybe for all he knew, the things were built out of plywood...

I dunno...it just seems odd to me...
    Allan Holdsworth's early 80s Charvels and Ibanez signature were made from basswood. Holdsworth was regularly singing its praises back then, so I imagine this influenced EVH as he was a huge fan.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

The guys at VintageKramer know, many of the people who supply information to the site worked at the Kramer factory, and specifically with Eddie and the building of his guitars.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.29.08 @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

accourding to old sources, the 5150 Kramer guitar was made from Alder wood, this was verified by Dennis Berardi later in years, and Music Man when they fixed it in 1990. However, Kramer utilized mostly Poplar wood in the 80's. So the conception was that it was Poplar wood. Basswood really wasn't popular until Steve Vai JEM's came out in 89 that Basswood caught on.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.08.10 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me throw alittle wood into the fire so to speak. To the best of my knowledge and from what I have actually seen the Pacer that the 5150 was fashioned from was poplar. It is very doubtful that it is from alder.
    But here is the kicker, a customer of ours who claimed to be present at the time that EVH was handed the body that later became 5150, well he said it was basswood.
    The bottomline is this, EVH knows and he should let the rest of us know! Now wouldnt that be cool??
    Take care,
    Mitch
    KnE Guitars

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MitchKnE View Post
    Let me throw alittle wood into the fire so to speak. To the best of my knowledge and from what I have actually seen the Pacer that the 5150 was fashioned from was poplar. It is very doubtful that it is from alder.
    But here is the kicker, a customer of ours who claimed to be present at the time that EVH was handed the body that later became 5150, well he said it was basswood.
    The bottomline is this, EVH knows and he should let the rest of us know! Now wouldnt that be cool??
    Take care,
    Mitch
    KnE Guitars
    Hey Mitch! I've been really enjoying your site, Expect an order soon. Anyway, I'm with about alder, but I had been building and painting basswood guitars for years, and the tell for me that it would have to be poplar, or ash is in the arm cut. There is some major grain sinking in there that to my eye looks more like ash given the grain coarseness. I've seen poplar display this, but I've never seen, even after many years of playing sealed and non sealed basswood guitars display this degree of sinking, but then it just could be our climate in BC. California weather could be a factor maybe? In the end it's no big deal, but I've often wondered what wood it is given the wine like tone. It's almost like a mahagony, kind of tone. Given Ed's experimental state of mind, what if it was a combination of woods. Like poplar in the center, with different wood for the body wings?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.28.12 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    Allan Holdsworth's early 80s Charvels and Ibanez signature were made from basswood. Holdsworth was regularly singing its praises back then, so I imagine this influenced EVH as he was a huge fan.
    I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Steve Lukather turned Eddie onto basswood. Anyone else recall that?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
    I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Steve Lukather turned Eddie onto basswood. Anyone else recall that?
    I don't remember Luke doing that, but Holdsworth for sure. Given that the EBMM was basswood though, and the 5150 was the model given as a foundation for the buidling of the neck, that could be the biggest indication that it could very well have been basswood I suppose. EBMM were very much into "traditional tonewoods" up until then. Was the Luke a basswood body? Can't recall.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Well now, no one really seems to know for sure, eh?

WAY back when I recall reading somewhere the 5150 Kramer was made from alder. More recently I recall reading from a credible source it was basswood. I remember being surprised then because up to that point I'd always assumed it was alder.

That being said, I don't know for sure.