Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.28.16 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Default It's all the fault of the Van Halen's

So today on the radio Roth said he has yet again asked to do a reunion but said they are still too upset with him.

Let's take everything with a pinch of salt which you need to do in the world of 'fuck your fans' Van Halen land.

What does this mean?

a) He's lying. I can't think of a substantial lie that Roth has made. If he is bullshitting then it would be too easy for the Van Halen's to either call him out and agree or say he's lying. They haven't. Even the most hardcore Van Hagar apologist has to admit they have repeatedly told lies in interviews.

b) Alex Van Halen realises his brother can't do it at the moment so is playing for time.

c) The slightly far fetched rumors that Roth fucked AVH's wife are true and he will never forgive him.

d) The brothers are still too upset about stuff Roth said during the various arguments over the years. But Hagar said just as bad if not worse things about them?

I haven't been to this site in a while but I don't see how even the most ardent Van Hagar fan could argue against the fact that there is no other option that wouldn't be crap apart from releasing the stuff Roth recorded with EVH in 2000 and doing a 100 date tour.

The line has been drawn in the sand by Roth who is now singing better than he has since the late 80s.

Anyone that doesn't agree they should do it is not a Van Halen fan.

Cheers!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I agree, a bunch of bullshit. Eddie, Alex, and Mike can travel seperate when touring w/ Roth.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

Sounds like Roth is using his radio gig for calling out the VH brothers in public, trying to pressure them into speaking about a reunion. If he really wanted back in, he would deal with them in private. But we know that hasn't worked out for him several times. Roth is kind of a jerkwad in that he get the fans to turn on VH. He cock teases the fans, so they get all worked up and get pissed because VH won't take the bait.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

05.13.12 @ 10:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister
    The line has been drawn in the sand by Roth who is now singing better than he has since the late 80s.
    thanks. i needed a good laugh.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AUGuy5150
    thanks. i needed a good laugh.
    Dave sang better at the Naperville ribfest than he did at the Sam and Dave tour. Hit or miss....he sucks more than he is good. If he can find out how he sang so good at Naperville (which was an all ages show) he needs to re-live that moment every damn single night he sings. And THAT is why he is not in VH. Brett posted some links just days after his Naperville show and Daves vocals were shitty.
    Just go for it!

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 1,602 Times in 984 Posts

Donor

Bunny! Good to see ya!

You forgot option (e), which maintains the following:

Dave may be the serious pain in the ass primadonna he is so often rumored to be, also evidenced by a number of sources, including, but not limited to, various industry insiders, former members of both Van Halen and the EEAS band, law enforcement officials, groupies, roadies, strippers, ex bodyguards, his own literary admissions in his own book, a number of literary admissions from other tell-all industry books, and, apparently, perhaps even the unseen drama of radio land.

The demise of CVH can only be laid at DLR's feet. He quit. He could've learned the mearning of humility. He could've realized the sum is greater than its parts. He could have swallowed ambition and pride. He could've stayed in the greatest American band ever assembled. Heck, even if Mitch Marshmallow or Gary Mercury were already hired, if he'd just have shut the fuck up and adopted a wee bit o' humble pie on those fucking mtv awards, he might've redeemed a chance at the '96 reunion.

He did none of these things.

Dave's gotta be Dave...but there are degrees, and there are fans to think about, and being a demigod isn't as important as being a part of Van Halen. Fuckin' Duh. There's a difference between creative edge and animosity, and if Dave had figured the distinction out, history could've been different.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Bunny! Good to see ya!

You forgot option (e), which maintains the following:

Dave may be the serious pain in the ass primadonna he is so often rumored to be, also evidenced by a number of sources, including, but not limited to, various industry insiders, former members of both Van Halen and the EEAS band, law enforcement officials, groupies, roadies, strippers, ex bodyguards, his own literary admissions in his own book, a number of literary admissions from other tell-all industry books, and, apparently, perhaps even the unseen drama of radio land.

The demise of CVH can only be laid at DLR's feet. He quit. He could've learned the mearning of humility. He could've realized the sum is greater than its parts. He could have swallowed ambition and pride. He could've stayed in the greatest American band ever assembled. Heck, even if Mitch Marshmallow or Gary Mercury were already hired, if he'd just have shut the fuck up and adopted a wee bit o' humble pie on those fucking mtv awards, he might've redeemed a chance at the '96 reunion.

He did none of these things.

Dave's gotta be Dave...but there are degrees, and there are fans to think about, and being a demigod isn't as important as being a part of Van Halen. Fuckin' Duh. There's a difference between creative edge and animosity, and if Dave had figured the distinction out, history could've been different.

Squalen, have you ever even seen a DLR with VH concert? WERE YOU EVER THERE?? Do you even qualify to comment?

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    Squalen, have you ever even seen a DLR with VH concert? WERE YOU EVER THERE?? Do you even qualify to comment?

I believe he's stated that several times. Even if he hasn't seen them, why shouldn't he be able to? I think that at this point, a tour is too far fetched. It would be more of a letdown than anything. I look at it like the girl you had sex with for three days straight when you were 19. It was mind blowing and you remembered it over twenty years later like it was yesterday. Then one day you meet up with her by chance and have another go at it. It wasn't the same three day carnage fest that you had twenty years earlier. Some things are better left to memory. What they should do now is a complete boxed set with a shitload of unreleased stuff. Think of it as cyber sex with that same girl twenty years later. It's been cleaned up and has that same feeling that it did twenty years ago.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor
    I believe he's stated that several times. Even if he hasn't seen them, why shouldn't he be able to? I think that at this point, a tour is too far fetched. It would be more of a letdown than anything. I look at it like the girl you had sex with for three days straight when you were 19. It was mind blowing and you remembered it over twenty years later like it was yesterday. Then one day you meet up with her by chance and have another go at it. It wasn't the same three day carnage fest that you had twenty years earlier. Some things are better left to memory. What they should do now is a complete boxed set with a shitload of unreleased stuff. Think of it as cyber sex with that same girl twenty years later. It's been cleaned up and has that same feeling that it did twenty years ago.
    That is a GREAT analogy!!! I think it was Alex a few years ago who said the same type of thing.

Although, I would like to one last hurrah with Dave. Maybe close the door on VH the right way.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

The demise of CVH can only be laid at DLR's feet. He quit.
    That's about it. Why is that so hard for some to understand?

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Law'd hab mercy...Yez Yeah...Awwww sho'...

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor
    I think that at this point, a tour is too far fetched. It would be more of a letdown than anything. I look at it like the girl you had sex with for three days straight when you were 19. It was mind blowing and you remembered it over twenty years later like it was yesterday. Then one day you meet up with her by chance and have another go at it. It wasn't the same three day carnage fest that you had twenty years earlier. Some things are better left to memory. What they should do now is a complete boxed set with a shitload of unreleased stuff. Think of it as cyber sex with that same girl twenty years later. It's been cleaned up and has that same feeling that it did twenty years ago.
    "Some things are better left to memory,"...stop quoting from the book of Alex.

The Page/Plant tours of '95 and '98 WEREN'T letdowns. Is there anyone that would go to a Van Rothin' re-union gig and expect the band to be rockin' and rollin' like it wuz '84 one time nah?

I do agree with you about the unreleased stuff.

The Doors have the Bright Midnight Archives. http://www.thedoors.com/bma/

Stevie Ray Vaughn fans get remasters with bonus live tracks and interviews.

Pearl Jam fans get a whole world tour of live shows released.

Black Crowes fans get live shows released right after the gig ends.
    Last edited by Blind Lemon Loons; 01.28.06 at 08:46 AM.
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

a) He's lying. I can't think of a substantial lie that Roth has made. If he is bullshitting then it would be too easy for the Van Halen's to either call him out and agree or say he's lying. They haven't. Even the most hardcore Van Hagar apologist has to admit they have repeatedly told lies in interviews.

When was the last time Alex or Eddie spoke to the press? Dave could shoot his mouth off and say anything and they will never respond.

b) Alex Van Halen realises his brother can't do it at the moment so is playing for time.

Possibly true.

c) The slightly far fetched rumors that Roth fucked AVH's wife are true and he will never forgive him.

"Slightly far fetched"? Alex has been married so many times that if you fuck a woman from California odds are two to one that she was married to Al at one time or another.

d) The brothers are still too upset about stuff Roth said during the various arguments over the years. But Hagar said just as bad if not worse things about them?

The 2000 reunion was probably the last straw, three strikes and you're out.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

The demise of CVH can only be laid at DLR's feet.
    So, if Dave took his football and went home, that's still no excuse for Eddie, Alex, Sam, and Mike to turn the franchise into the Arizona Cardinals.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Ed doesn't get along with Dave, Ed doesn't get along with Sam. maybe Ed is just a miserable drunk, I don't know.

The fact is though, the problems with Sam seem to stop at Ed. Al and Sam seem to have at the very least a truce, and Sam and Mike of course are best buds.

Dave though, he has a problem with everyone. Al and Mike speak worse of
    Dave than even Eddie does. Mike was even quoted as saying he'd probably have the biggest problem with Dave rejoining--and that was in 1996, long before he and Sam became tight again.

I think the best anyone can hope for is that Ed gets his act together, the band decides they want a little closure and one more big payday, and they do a final tour with Dave. Traveling seperately of course.

If Ed can regain his form for a CVH tour, then Dave can speak the lyrics for all I care.
    Last edited by Menlow; 01.28.06 at 09:04 AM.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 1,602 Times in 984 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons
    So, if Dave took his football and went home, that's still no excuse for Eddie, Alex, Sam, and Mike to turn the franchise into the Arizona Cardinals.

If you require a real starting gate for that horse race, assuming your meaning is 'turning that classic Van Halen brown sound into pop cheese,', then you ought to look back at its original roots, which start with two men and two men only...one Edward Van Halen and one David Lee Roth, the former wanting to expand his musical horizons into synth and ballad composition, the latter wanting to cover already established pop hits and work up tunes 'the girls could dance to.' We've had this go'round before, yezz yezz. The Cardinal team was forming long before 1986.

Me, I've always believed this 'classic Van Halen sound' every mourning fan laments, if such a thing can truly be determined, ended with Fair Warning and perhaps the 4 original tunes on Diver. 1984 was a clear break in tone and direction, which is why it exploded on the pop market, right place, right time, and what the mid eighties fans wanted to hear.

Halen has had pop cheese on virtually every album they've ever done, with the exceptions of WACF, FW, and ironically, III. Dave likes as much cotton candy as Sam...he just eats it a bit different. You got your YRGM cover, your Feel Your Love Tonight, your DTNA, your Purty Woman and your Dancin' Streets, your Jump. Sure, Sam sings the luvvv songs, and Dave sings the Studio 54 boogaloo, but cheese is cheese, and has always been part of the deal. Van Halen's a hard rock pop band. Yeah, we knew that.

My point was, Dave should NOT taken his football and went home, even if Warner Bros. was promising him he was gonna be the next Clark Gable.