Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zakk Wylde

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.09.06 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Zakk Wylde

I know many of you are huge Zakk Wylde fans on this board, but there is one thing that I don't think we have discussed about him and that is his legacy. I was wondering what you guys think people will say about him in say, about 15 years concerning his impact on guitar playing and the music world.

I consider Zakk and Dimebag to be the bridges from EVH to the next guitar hero who is lurking in the shadows somewhere, but most people will never hear Zakk's best work, which is in my opinion the Pride and Glory and the Book of Shadows albums. I also think his body of work will always be overshadowed by his contempary, Dimebag.

I was just wondering if anybody here thinks Zakk Wylde's playing will be relevant to anybody 15 years down the road.

Last Online

05.17.07 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't think the state of the music business or environment will allow for Zakk to obtain the status of EVH, though his music may impact the students of guitar that will be it.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning
    I was just wondering if anybody here thinks Zakk Wylde's playing will be relevant to anybody 15 years down the road.

Yes, but not at the magnitude as Ed. Zakk does keep the FIRE alive!!!!!
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Zakk is one of my favorites, period.

I personally view him as a "gatekeeper", "guardian of the truth", and ass-kicker moreso than innovator.

I'm not into the whole "biker" schtick he's doing now, with all the "pushed" swearing, etc. I dug him during his 70's southern rock schtick. Long hair, no hairspray, crushing riffs, and easy to interview.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

I used to like Zakk but I don't put him up near EVH nor even somebody like Randy Rhoads.

He is recognize as the leader of the nu metal guitarists but thats like winning the Special Olympics. You still are retarded.

I find that a lot of what he does is repetative. I did like him back in his Pride and Glory days. When he started with the chicken pickin he was the bomb.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree that Zakk is getting pretty repetitive on recent albums. I attribute this to having an new album out every year it seems. I am excited that he is back writing new material with Ozzy. He brought all the balls to the Down To Earth album that had all those crappy songs written by outside songwriters. I also like the term gatkeeper one of you guys used-fits perfectly to describe Zakk's presence.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 729 Times in 293 Posts

I thought Zakk played great on his 1st Ozzy album "No Rest For The Wicked". Especially for a 19 year old who'd only been playing about 5 or 6 years at the time.

That said, I have never really heard any progression in his playing over the last 15 or so years. He still uses the same 3 scales, same pinch-harmonics, same tone... He's got great technique, but if you put him onstage in a "G3" setting with true musicians like Vai, Satch, Petrucci, etc.... He'd sound like a junior high kid trying to play the beginning of "Enter Sandman" in Guitar Center on Saturday afternoon. The biker schtick is played out as well. Saying you don't shower or brush your teeth for 70+ days at a time, whether true or not is just gross. I'm sure he's a cool guy, he's just gotta learn some different scales and drop the dirtbag, tough guy image. I'm sure he's been a millionaire or close to it since his early 20's and been pampered quite a bit. He admitted he was 140lbs when he joined Ozzy so I don't think he was kicking too many people's asses... I've seen him in person and he's not that big. He wears alot of thick leather jackets and vests and boots with 2" heels and all but I'm 212lbs and he was smaller than me. There's plenty of guys around that can play circles around him. I'm sure he'd admit it. If he didn't get picked up by Ozzy nobody would even know who he was... What a tough guy....
    Last edited by EJC; 01.30.06 at 07:09 AM.

Last Online

02.25.07 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC
    I thought Zakk played great on his 1st Ozzy album "No Rest For The Wicked". Especially for a 19 year old who'd only been playing about 5 or 6 years at the time.

That said, I have never really heard any progression in his playing over the last 15 or so years. He still uses the same 3 scales, same pinch-harmonics, same tone... He's got great technique, but if you put him onstage in a "G3" setting with true musicians like Vai, Satch, Petrucci, etc.... He'd sound like a junior high kid trying to play the beginning of "Enter Sandman" in Guitar Center on Saturday afternoon. The biker schtick is played out as well. Saying you don't shower or brush your teeth for 70+ days at a time, whether true or not is just gross. I'm sure he's a cool guy, he's just gotta learn some different scales and drop the dirtbag, tough guy image. I'm sure he's been a millionaire or close to it since his early 20's and been pampered quite a bit. He admitted he was 140lbs when he joined Ozzy so I don't think he was kicking too many people's asses... I've seen him in person and he's not that big. He wears alot of thick leather jackets and vests and boots with 2" heels and all but I'm 212lbs and he was smaller than me. There's plenty of guys around that can play circles around him. I'm sure he'd admit it. If he didn't get picked up by Ozzy nobody would even know who he was... What a tough guy....

I rarely say this type of thing but I think you have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, what the hell does his look have anything to do with his playing? Second, I have owned a pro recording studio for five years and have recorded dozens and dozens of semi pro and pro guitar players and I can say for an absolute fact that VERY few players can do what Zakk can do. He shreds, and his playing is extremely clean and precise, even while jumping around. He's also versatile, I've heard him play great blues, jazz, country etc. It sounds like you have something personal against him, so how could you have a fair evaluation of his playing?

And just like Dime, anyone who shows as much respect to the players that came before him as Zakk does, should be looked up to, in my opinion.
    Leo Van Newhouse:
    "And that's the bottom line, 'cause Pa-co said-so!"

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 729 Times in 293 Posts

It's just my opinion Paco. Nothing personal with Zakk. Like I said, he's probably a cool guy, but his playing has never done anything for me. I loved the 1st album, but have never been impressed with anything afterwards. I know alot of people like his playing, and to each his/her own. He uses the same blues/pentatonic scales over and over, with the same artificial harmonics. If the guys you record in your studio can't pull that shit off, then I don't know what to tell you. It's cool that he pays respect to the masters, but when I have to read between "Fuck, Fuck, my wife's pussy juice stinks on my beard, and I'll kick this guy's ass, and I haven't showered in 2 months" it gets old....And if his fake "look" has nothing to do with his playing, then neither does the fact that he plays while "jumping around".

I mean, what is Zakk's definitive piece of work? What is his "Mean Streets", or "Mr. Crowley" or "Far beyond the Sun" or "For the Love of God"...
    Where have you heard Zakk play jazz? on which Ozzy, BLS disk is that? I'd love to take a listen to it.

~Peace~
    Last edited by EJC; 01.30.06 at 12:12 PM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC

I mean, what is Zakk's definitive piece of work? What is his "Mean Streets", or "Mr. Crowley" or "Far beyond the Sun" or "For the Love of God"...
    Where have you heard Zakk play jazz? on which Ozzy, BLS disk is that? I'd love to take a listen to it.

~Peace~
    I'd say Zakk's Fair Warning has to be Mafia-granted, thats my oppinion (keep in mind, I haven't liked all the BLS catalog). I think its the best sounding of the BLS stuff, mainly because I just think the sound it more polished. The other CD's seemed to have a poor sound to them, as if it was recorded at a crappy studio...again, just my oppinion. Mafia opens with Fire it Up, a great number thats simple, BUT sounds great, and Zakk uses a talk box on this one.
    Followed by "What's in You", a jammin little ditty.

"Suicide Messiah" is the third track, written supposedly about Scott Weilands on again, off again drug problems. The opening riffs just rock!

"Forever down" has this cool slide riff I dig...

"In This River" which is talking about the trials of life-amazing mellow piece, this song was dedicated to Dimebag...

"You must be blind" is not one of my more favorites on the CD...

"Death March" is ok...

Again, I think this is BLS best piece, mainly BC the sound is more polished up, unlike former BLS efforts. -Red43j

"Dr. Octiva" is Zakk's new little solo piece, which is nothing super fancy like Eruption, however, is cool because hes using an Octavia effect for the solo, which makes it sound cool-hence he does play with his tone here...

"Say What You Will" is one of my favorite tracks on the disc-

"Too Tough To Die" is another one that just rocks...

"Electric Hellfire" is filler, imo...

"Spread Your Wings" isn't too bad...almost filler but not as bad as filler on the CD...

"Been A Long Time" is possibly my favorite song, as I listen to it the most

"Dirt on the Grave" is haunting, another Talkbox number, but not in the same vein as Fire It Up.
    *Hidden Track-Cover Of Skynard's "I Never Dreamed" is a strage cover....they play it, hmmm, how do I put it? They play it like Skynard covered BLS covering Skynard...if that makes any sense...
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really like his playing on I Never Dreamed. He's using a guitar with a Floyd Rose, which brings out an interesting side of Zakk's playing. It sounds a lot like Vai to my ears, the way he uses the bar to articulate the notes, that is. I love how the rest of the band drops out, and all you hear is Zakk still ripping it. It makes me think he was just ad libbing it all-and it sounds great.

Personally, I think an artists' image and their music are two seperate and different animals. Look at Elton John, John Lennon, even guitar gods like Ywngie and Vai-all are out there with their image, but put out amzing music. Just my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

I do agree with EJC with this. When he came out in the scene I understood that he was trying to find himself. However after so many years, its basically a three - four finger picking exercises in minor pentatonic, major pentatonic.

He does have wonderful technique but IMO, he is the Yngwie of the pentatonic. Yngwie tends to never shy away from new-classical modes just like Zakk seems to never venture from his favorite scale.

I never heard him do jazz so please forward that. I have his demo tape for Ozzy and he can play classical guitar quite well.

I don't believe he has something on par with a Hot for Teacher or Mr. Crowley to the general public. No More Tears was a big hit but not for the lead playing. To me he has not played anything memorable except for the chicken pickin song he did for that Guitar disk. Can't remember the name but it was before Pride and Glory. It was really cool and he should have done more with that but never did.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.15.08 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ziggysmalls]I used to like Zakk but I don't put him up near EVH nor even somebody like Randy Rhoads.

He is recognize as the leader of the nu metal guitarists but thats like winning the Special Olympics. You still are retarded.
    QUOTE]

LOLOLOL I thought I was gonna fall in the floor laughing so hard, but Zakk is a great guitar player without doubt.
    heather-williams.com

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

before you even think to judge zakk please go listen to no more tears (the album).

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Zakk has the ability to play almost anything, including neoclassical licks with snippets of sweep picking and economy picking.....I've seen him do it in a couple different candid clips. One was when he was 16 fronting his band, and another was.....from what I could tell.....a clip of him at a fan's house or something.

He simply *chooses* to stick to the "muscular/angular" pentatonic sound combined with alternate picking, and that's that. I agree that it gets old. I'm not gonna bag on him.....that's just how he chooses to play. The good news is that he started when he was very young, seems to like to change themes (glam, then southern, then biker) so it's not out of the realm of possibility that by the time he's 40, he'll shake this biker schtick. I just don't see him doing it forever. I don't see him ditching his "brotherhood", but I don't see him doing the same exact thing musically, either. Hopefully I'm right. If not, well, he's got his own tiny little place in music history.

Like I said, to me, he's a gatekeeper. A museum watcher-over-guy (what are they called, cureators?) until the next "real thing" comes along. Sort of like Obi-Wan Kenobi.

"The old days this, my old friends that, my best friend did this, be wary of your talents, you're too impatient, you need to practice, let the beer/force flow, etc. etc."