Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.05.04
    Posts
    1,017
    Last Online

    06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default That Mitch Malloy

    Hey All,

    OK, so I found Mitch Malloy's debut album in a delete bin and decided to pick it up for simple curiosity as to why this guy gives Ed a hard on vocally. For cheese rock, it is OK and he does a good voice - but to remotely suggest that this guy should be in Van Halen or having the knowledge that Eddie had him at 5150 numerous times working on stuff makes me question his intentions at the time with Van Halen.

    Now I don't want to turn this into a Dave vs. Sam debate, but Hagar is far and away more of a rocker than Mitch Malloy - so for any DLR fans to suggest that Hagar ruined Van Halen, it would seem that Eddie wanted to do even more ballads and pop-rockers - if Mitch Malloy is any indication. Because Malloy certainly wasn't going to turn Van Halen into a heavier band or back to the classic sound.

    I truly think that Sammy gets the brunt of the complaints from DLR fans of Van Halen in terms of fucking up Van Halen, when I absolutely believe that based on Mitch Malloy, Gary Cherone and Eric Martin (who also tried out), I think that Eddie really wanted to have a melodic rock band, where Eddie could compose soft ballads, pop rockers and hard rockers all under the umbrella of Van Halen with a strong AOR type vocalist to sing them. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk onefootoutthedoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.15.01
    Age
    42
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    8,033
    Last Online

    07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    ...And if you don't feel like hijacking a thread and turning it into a dave vs. sam thread, you can always make your own. It's almost midnight and as good of time as any to start a dave vs. sam thread.

  3. #3
    5150 dropped-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.04.04
    Location
    pittsburgh
    Posts
    674
    Favorite VH Album

    like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

    damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:15 PM
    Likes
    315
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

    Default It is not a Dave vs Sam Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor
    ...And if you don't feel like hijacking a thread and turning it into a dave vs. sam thread, you can always make your own. It's almost midnight and as good of time as any to start a dave vs. sam thread.

    His point is that Ed may be the one who pushed the softer side of Van Halen. It is an interesting thought.

  4. #4
    Unchained Fat Tone's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.11.00
    Age
    48
    Location
    Virgina Beach, VA
    Posts
    486
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hey man
    Hey All,

    OK, so I found Mitch Malloy's debut album in a delete bin and decided to pick it up for simple curiosity as to why this guy gives Ed a hard on vocally. For cheese rock, it is OK and he does a good voice - but to remotely suggest that this guy should be in Van Halen or having the knowledge that Eddie had him at 5150 numerous times working on stuff makes me question his intentions at the time with Van Halen.

    Now I don't want to turn this into a Dave vs. Sam debate, but Hagar is far and away more of a rocker than Mitch Malloy - so for any DLR fans to suggest that Hagar ruined Van Halen, it would seem that Eddie wanted to do even more ballads and pop-rockers - if Mitch Malloy is any indication. Because Malloy certainly wasn't going to turn Van Halen into a heavier band or back to the classic sound.

    I truly think that Sammy gets the brunt of the complaints from DLR fans of Van Halen in terms of fucking up Van Halen, when I absolutely believe that based on Mitch Malloy, Gary Cherone and Eric Martin (who also tried out), I think that Eddie really wanted to have a melodic rock band, where Eddie could compose soft ballads, pop rockers and hard rockers all under the umbrella of Van Halen with a strong AOR type vocalist to sing them. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.


    I know Mitch...personally. He has an edgier side to his voice. You are hearing what I would call a "safe" smooth pop vibe, on that record. I have heard some of Mitch's more recent rock stuff ( last couple of years ) and he can get gritty.

    In the end, when he ultimately turned down the VH gig, after Dave walked on with them at the VMA's........Mitch said that he knew Ed was going to try to get him to be a screamer anyway....and Mitch didn;t really want to go that direction.....which is what Ed wound up having Cherone do..IMHO.

    Mitch has a ballsy Robin Zanderesque/ Lou Graham kinda thing happenin.....and is a hell of a musician.

    If you wanna get a real Mitch vibe...pick up a copy of " Shine".......killer record with killer players on it.......

    www.mitchmalloy.com
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

  5. #5
    Eruption Model Citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    805
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained..
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Likes
    239
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tone
    In the end, when he ultimately turned down the VH gig, after Dave walked on with them at the VMA's........Mitch said that he knew Ed was going to try to get him to be a screamer anyway....and Mitch didn;t really want to go that direction.....which is what Ed wound up having Cherone do..IMHO.

    He turned down the gig huh? Interesting, in that I read an interview w/ him and he said that being in Van Halen for a couple of weeks was the highlight of his career.

  6. #6
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    07.13.04
    Posts
    39
    Last Online

    03.25.08 @ 01:14 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottagetta
    He turned down the gig huh? Interesting, in that I read an interview w/ him and he said that being in Van Halen for a couple of weeks was the highlight of his career.
    I think I read the same interview, and from what I gathered, he did turn VH down.

    He was all set to join until the MTV thing happened, and he (wisely) realized that there would be a backlash against any singer other than Dave after their appearance.

  7. #7
    Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.26.02
    Age
    37
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,444
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes
    228
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tone
    I know Mitch...personally. He has an edgier side to his voice. You are hearing what I would call a "safe" smooth pop vibe, on that record. I have heard some of Mitch's more recent rock stuff ( last couple of years ) and he can get gritty.

    In the end, when he ultimately turned down the VH gig, after Dave walked on with them at the VMA's........Mitch said that he knew Ed was going to try to get him to be a screamer anyway....and Mitch didn;t really want to go that direction.....which is what Ed wound up having Cherone do..IMHO.

    Mitch has a ballsy Robin Zanderesque/ Lou Graham kinda thing happenin.....and is a hell of a musician.

    If you wanna get a real Mitch vibe...pick up a copy of " Shine".......killer record with killer players on it.......

    www.mitchmalloy.com
    I second that. I have Shine and Mitch sounds great on it. Still wouldn't have wanted to see him in VH though.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

    "The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

    Sucka'sFacebook

  8. #8
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.05.04
    Posts
    1,017
    Last Online

    06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    A leopard don't change his spots - there have been countless former ballad/pop rock singers that have later released more harder edged or alternative sounding albums. Jeff Scott Soto is another - his band Eyes defines cheese.

    Mitch Malloy is a melodic rock/ballad type singer and the later stuff is more of him just trying to compete with the sound of the times. Besides, it was the debut album, where Eddie first heard Malloy - not later albums.

    Eddie wanted to replace Sammy with Sammy lite so to speak. Otherwise he could have simply gotten a singer, who had absolutely no hair metal experience or Journey like vocals. He could have picked a Chris Cornell type singer right out of the box if he truly wanted to have a heavier Van Halen.
    Last edited by hey man; 01.26.06 at 11:24 AM.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hey man
    I think that Eddie really wanted to have a melodic rock band, where Eddie could compose soft ballads, pop rockers and hard rockers all under the umbrella of Van Halen
    I think that's evident going back as far as Diver Down.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk Menlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    11,654
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

    06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    I think that's evident going back as far as Diver Down.
    WACF and FW were the least pop sounding albums VH had produced and also were their two worst selling, particularly FW. Pretty Woman became VH's biggest hit to date and DITS also went top 40, as DD ended up selling as many albums as WACF and FW combined.

    I wonder then if Ed sort of had the attitude "well obviously a more pop sound is what the fans want, the label wants it, and I have been fucking around with some keyboards.....but if I'm going to a more pop sound--I'll write it myself. No more bullshit covers." Voila--Jump. Number one hit for five weeks, gold single, nonstop MTV video play. (Anybody remember the old MTV Friday Night Video Fights? They'd play two videos and people would vote for their favorite. The favorite video would return the following week to defend it's title. Jump was the first video to ever go 10 straight weeks undefeated and was retired as champion). Van Halen ruled the music world that year,1984 would eventually sell as much as WACF,FW, and DD combined-- which just proably strengthened Ed's belief to include more of a pop sound.

    Contrary to popular belief too, I doubt Dave had to be dragged into it. It seems to me that Dave is a guy always wanting a bigger spotlight and he'd embrace a more pop sound as well. If Dave really did rebel against the sound of 1984 because of the keyboards and pop leanings then please explain Cal. Girls and Just a Gigilo --hardly a couple of hard rockers.

    I've never blamed Sammy for VH's continued pop leanings, I've always felt Ed mostly responsible for the music.(Although I find some of Sam's most banal and trite lyrics is when he is in ballad mode). It's also why I'm a bigger fan of the six pack then the four pack. It really has very little to do with the singer for me.

    Mitch Malloy was right too. Whoever tried to take over the lead singer spot after the VMA's would've already had one foot in the grave.
    Last edited by Menlow; 01.26.06 at 02:36 PM.

  11. #11
    5150 melodicrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.25.00
    Age
    46
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    615
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 09:27 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottagetta
    He turned down the gig huh? Interesting, in that I read an interview w/ him and he said that being in Van Halen for a couple of weeks was the highlight of his career.
    I know Mitch too...have for a long time...I believe what happened - from HIS mouth to my ears was that Ed said 'you have the job', then management (yes, the ever popular Ray D) said NO, I have someone else for you guys....and in walked Gary.

    I have some pix of Mitch at in on of my interviews with him: http://www.melodicrock.com/interview...alloy.html5150
    Last edited by melodicrock; 01.26.06 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typos

  12. #12
    Good Enough Rocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.00
    Age
    49
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,727
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melodicrock
    I know Mitch too...have for a long time...I believe what happened - from HIS mouth to my ears was that Ed said 'you have the job', then management (yes, the ever popular Ray D) said NO, I have someone else for you guys....and in walked Gary.

    I have some pix of Mitch at in on of my interviews with him: http://www.melodicrock.com/interview...alloy.html5150
    Never heard that version before.

  13. #13
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    04.05.04
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    233
    Last Online

    06.29.08 @ 09:59 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Actually, Ed wasn't looking for any type of singer to replace Sam. Ed was just looking for someone who didn't have what he called LSD (lead singer disease). He wasn't looking for a "screamer" "pop", he was looking for someone who showed up to work when he said it was work time, someone who showed up without bitching about what to sing or lyrics, he wanted a "team player". Now we can look at that at a lot of points.. a puppet..a team player..a singer.. yeah all the above. Of course we're leaving out the Ray Daniels factor on that one,, piece of the pie talks big. Ed wanted a buddy who could sing first and foremost, I think the problem is that Ed wasn't looking for a type of singer and that's what got VH in the hole. Gary was a great guy and a good singer but he didnt fit the mold of VH and that was Ed's fault he didnt go for music similarities.

  14. #14
    5150 melodicrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.25.00
    Age
    46
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    615
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 09:27 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Sorry, that link got rooted up - it is:

    http://www.melodicrock.com/interviews/mitchmalloy.html

  15. #15
    5150 melodicrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.25.00
    Age
    46
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    615
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 09:27 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 55 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    And I just re-read my own interview...I should do that before posting

    Mitch sticks to the story and I might have been misleading in my last post, sorry.
    What Mitch says in the interview was this:

    "On the 3rd day I was there, I got a call as I was staying in Ed's guest house. They told me they wanted me to be in the studio control room in 15 minutes.
    I went up and sat there and waited, And a few minutes later, Ed walks in stops and says, "well, you are an amazing singer, you look great and you are one of the nicest guys I have ever met, we just talked it over and congratulations, you are in the band." he walks up to me, I stand up and he kisses me on both cheeks gives me a hug and turns and walks out of the room. I sit back down at the mixing board and say out loud, "I am in Van Halen, shit, now what"? I think I giggled a little in disbelief. It was a very strange moment.
    So the unanimous verdict on Ray Danniels as a manager is shit to say the least, were you another victim of his control over the band at this stage?
    Well, I am not positive as to what happened there, but Ray told me at first that no matter what happened, he wanted to manage me.
    I already had a manager though. And he told me he wanted me in the band. I think it's best I reserve comment any further on that one.
    I actually wrote Ray a letter, passing on the gig. It just didn't feel right to me at the time, what with all the MTV thing with Dave and all that.
    They never told me they were doing that with Dave, and as far as I knew, I was pretty much in the band at that time. I knew they were going to audition Gary, but they told me they didn't really want to, cause they wanted me. And then I see them walk out on stage with Dave, I called Mike and told him that I thought it was a mistake and that they had just made it nearly impossible for ANY singer to come in and be successful cause now EVERYONE thought Dave was back.
    I never heard back from them, and while I was waiting, I sat down and wrote a letter and had my manager send it up to Ray saying, thanks for the shot, but I am going to have to pass.
    It wasn't an easy thing to do. I heard from Ed a few weeks later. I met Gary over the phone that day as well. Gary is a super nice guy. A real class act. I am very impressed with him as a person and would think he would be a very good friend to have.
    We are not friends, I am just saying, there are not that many people you meet in life that are as gracious as Gary Cherone."


    For some reason it sticks in my mind that Mitch would have taken this gig if not for Ray D. Perhaps so, or perhaps it was the Roth on the AMA thing...

    Either way, it didn't happen

    But Mitch is still a killer singer....

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Mitch Malloy
    By J_Alexander in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01.28.05, 06:57 AM
  2. Mitch Malloy & EVH™
    By Kamikazesheep in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06.25.02, 10:47 AM
  3. Where's Mitch Malloy now?
    By Cabo Kid in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05.22.02, 02:39 PM
  4. VH 3 and Mitch Malloy
    By Walter Payton #34 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05.13.02, 05:03 AM
  5. Mitch Malloy
    By amanda in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12.06.00, 12:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •