Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: What Guitar?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.15.08 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What Guitar?

This will be my first electric guitar, what should I get for a beginner electric that will resemble an evh guitar. Once I know I am serious about playing I will invest $2,000-$3,000, but for now I would like to stay under $500 even if it is used. I have no idea what brand or model would resemble and give similar VH sound?

Thanks

Heather
    Last edited by grly; 01.25.06 at 05:59 PM.
    heather-williams.com

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Under $500 and with the EVH look, I only see two options: OLP and Mean Street Guitars.
    The OLP MM1 and MM1F (Floyd version) are EBMM EVH replicas for a fraction of the cost. Of course they're not as good as the real deal but they're excellent guitars for the price, about $300 if I remember right.
    Then you can order a Mean Street guitar at www.meanstreetguitars.com, they have the Unchained model, identical to EVH 5150 and the Intruder model, close to the EBMM. Both are under $500 and they're made (I think, guys correct me if I'm wrong) per order and there's a 2 months delay but they're excellent guitars too from what I've been told.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grly
    This will be my first electric guitar, what should I get for a beginner electric that will resemble an evh guitar. Once I know I am serious about playing I will invest $2,000-$3,000, but for now I would like to stay under $500 even if it is used. I have no idea what brand or model would resemble and give similar VH sound?

Thanks

Heather
    I admire your enthusiasm, but I hardly doubt you should even think about spending $2,000-$3,000 for a guitar. Hell, unless you became REALLY freaking good I don't think you should even think about going past the $1,500 mark. And even that seems like it would be years and years away.

But hey, that's just one man's opinion.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

i recommend a fender squire, possibly one of the package deal... guitar and amp and siome extras for about $250.

good enough guitar to not frustrate, good strat looks. looks like early VH guitars... you can always paint it.

dont get to hung up on what guitar/amp or effects he uses, its 90% how you actually play/pick/bend etc...

and good luck, remember if your having fun, thats all that matters.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, I was looking on ebay and I saw the package deals. It seems like that would be a good option for starters, but I really like the vh sound so I would like to pick a guitar that would give me similar sound while I am learning.
    I was introduced to vh a couple of years ago which fired up my interest in the old school rock (vh, motley crue, etc.) I don't know much about the vh guitar style, but I am learning!
    Maybe a package deal would get me through 6 months then moving on to better quality.

So you think the fender squire would be similar? I also saw Ibanez jumpstart.
    heather-williams.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by grly
    Yea, I was looking on ebay and I saw the package deals. It seems like that would be a good option for starters, but I really like the vh sound so I would like to pick a guitar that would give me similar sound while I am learning.
    I was introduced to vh a couple of years ago which fired up my interest in the old school rock (vh, motley crue, etc.) I don't know much about the vh guitar style, but I am learning!
    Maybe a package deal would get me through 6 months then moving on to better quality.

So you think the fender squire would be similar? I also saw Ibanez jumpstart.
    If all you focus on is what Ed did, you will become very frustrated early...Go to the budget section and actually play the guitars. Trying to be an EVH clone at this stage is silly. You may learn some tricks and how to tap a note here and there, but you limit your likelihood of being a well-rounded player...Get a book with scales and a chord chart and get some fluency and dexterity with the instrument. Your goals should be rooted in becoming a guitar player first...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know if you live in a big city so I don't know what kind of access you have to music stores so I'll have to shoot in the dark.

First, like Sacto said, you need to try a bunch of guitars, physically hold and play them.

Take along a strap, guitars play differently sitting down and standing up.

For your budget, check out used or secondhand music stores, you might pick up an old Kramer for well within your budget. Fender Squire, Jackson and Schectors should be looked at.

If you have a friend who plays guitar, bring them along for advice, just so you don't get stuck with a hunk of junk.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.09.06 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default If I were you and just starting, I would look at some used Hamer guitars.

Overall you seem to want some type of super strat derivative, you all know the formula, strat or soloist styled body, Floyd Rose trem, and a humbucker in the bridge position. In short, the quintessential 80's hard rock style guitars. For your desired price range I think an American made Hamer might be a great choice for you.

Some times the older US made Floyd rose equipped Hamer's like the various super strat designs (Chaparral, Diablo, Centaura, and if you are lucky maybe even a Californian) and the Steve Steven's signature models are some of the best used guitars for the money. They can be found for right around $400 to $600 give or take a little (a lot less likely to find the Californian, they seem to sell for a good bit more typically). They are all great playing guitars with top notch quality. If you stick with playing guitar and progress an American made Hamer will likely still make you a very happy player for many years. Spend a little more and get a guitar you will never outgrow even years from now. Read up about the American built Hamer's and see for yourself how good their guitars are. A quick ebay search yielded this American made Centaura that looks like it could be a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamer-USA-made-e...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by GoodToneMadeMeDeaf; 01.26.06 at 01:34 AM.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would suggest buying one of the Mean Street Guitars and getting a good tube amplifer or modeling amplifier. I personally don't think spending more than $500 is worth it (IMO, now) simply because there are some great quality guitars out there for that price or less (Mean Street Guitars being quite good for the price, and the tone out of those instruments is hard to beat). Also, don't neglect the amplifier. If you want a good tube amplifier, look for a used (but not abused) Marshall JCM800 half stack or 2x12 combo or even a used 5150 combo. In a pinch you could pickup a modeler amplifier and use the Modern High Gain setting to get close to that "5150" sound. I can't remember if you said you were playing gigs or not, but if you are ... get the tube amp. Modelers are seriously underpowered and don't cut through as well in a live situation unless you work the rig up just right.

Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I think the olp guitars are great to for starters, there cheap and they sound pretty nice compared to alot of other guitars. Meanstreet guitars unchained model is sweet to.
    Last edited by solo-ed; 01.26.06 at 07:54 AM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right now I have an acoustic. This will be my first electric. I have learned my major chords and I really enjoy the single fast pic notes although it is so hard to move my fingers with good speed. But I will play for hours at a time, it's addicting. There are so many electric guitars on ebay as well, some of them look like a guitar you can buy at walmart. I am gonna check out the local shops today to see what and if they have anything new/used that is similar to the brands you gave me. Most of my friends aren't guitar playas so that makes it tougher to not get a bad deal. I am learning about the different brands and models because all I know right now is play and practice and that won't help me make a good purchase decision!
    heather-williams.com

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

that ibanez package is a good starter deal also...

but I repeat.... The guitar has about 1% anything to do with sounding and playing like EVH.

He could pick up any guitar in a store and still sound like EVH.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    If all you focus on is what Ed did, you will become very frustrated early...Go to the budget section and actually play the guitars. Trying to be an EVH clone at this stage is silly. You may learn some tricks and how to tap a note here and there, but you limit your likelihood of being a well-rounded player...Get a book with scales and a chord chart and get some fluency and dexterity with the instrument. Your goals should be rooted in becoming a guitar player first...

I totally see your point, believe me. But I think this would be the fastest way to become disinterested with the instrument. When you first get inspired, you want to play a song--surely we all had a first goal in mind songwise. (Mine was "Summer Song" by Satriani.)

I think you have a good idea, but it just requires so much discipline to sit down and practice scales. It's a lot more fun when you can learn them through a song at first.

Just my $0.02 (which is 2 cents too much).
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

true! I agree! I don't really care to play all of the tech song up front since I have no idea what I'm doing. I just really like more of the treble sounding guitars in comparison with the heavier sounding electric.
    For a start though it seems like a fender strat would do me good with maybe a line 6 amp. I want to get a good amp to keep my interest and maybe a lower $ starter guitar.
    I guess?
    What about amps? I have heard the line 6 flextone is excellent with a variety of different sounds, but I think they are in the $500 range.
    heather-williams.com