Register
    Favorite VH Album

Womens and Chilrens Fiwst
    Favorite VH Song

Happy (end) Trails
    Last Online

02.08.07 @ 09:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Everybody Wants Some (Fill Parts 1-6)

I am new here and I am so happy to have this forum to utilize. I need some major assistance; and perhaps one of the true phenoms on the site will be kind enough to assist me.

I need detailed instruction on how to create the 'Fill' parts during the intro to Everybody Wants Some.

They are fill parts 1-6

1. Slack Whammy Bar?
    2. All of the pick-scraping tremolo springs picking et al.

If anyone can be of assitance it will be GREATLY appreciated. There are 6 fill parts during the song and although the sheet music (sorta) describes the method(s) used for the sound effects; they are miserably incomplete and or I am a complete moron.

Thanks for any and all help in advance

H Lucas

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

jfrocks.com had some great video lessons, but he is having some copyright issues.

I think his plan is to put up VERY simular lessons with names like van hesson - somebody wants some... etc... so that you could watch the lessons and then figure out exactly how VH used those VERY simular methods.

I recommend browsing through his sight.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you have a locking tremello system, you should have stumbled across some of those sounds already. Most of us have spent hours screwing around with our bars to the wood and the strings flopping around just to see what it all sounds like, this includes Ed. Hell, I was proud of myself when I learned that dropping the bar 'till the strings are flat, then slapping the low E on the third frett while releasing the bar makes a cool burping sound.

1. Bar to the wood, quick release , lefthanded-release-harmonic at 4th fret. All at the same time.** OR send bar all the way down and thumping the rear spring on back of your guitar.[ you need to remove the plate on the back to do this. Know that the noises you'll get this away aren't that big of a deal and aren't worth the risk you take by doing this. You can break a spring, bend a spring thus knocking your guitar out of action. If you don't use wireless and plug into your amp you risk electricution. You cna get your shirt or stomache hair or skin caught in the spring, earning you an unflattering knick-name. I'd adivse skipping this one and doing something else cool]

2. Serious pick grindage on 5th and 6th string with Faser on.

3. 3rd string/4th fret harmonic with smooth tremello dive.

4. More pick grinding, Phaser augmentation.

I list four fills because that's all there are once the guitar and bass parts begin. Unless you're talking about Ed playing with feedback and his volume knob, which is self explanitory.

All this is done with the standard "Eddie Settings" with ton for brown sound and a single slap on echo/delay.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but you need to have more fun with your instrument. Crank up your amp and grab your tremello and take your rig off road. Feedback should be natural. Find all of your harmonics and see what else you can do with your pick and where esle you can pick with it
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hlucaszoso
    I am new here and I am so happy to have this forum to utilize. I need some major assistance; and perhaps one of the true phenoms on the site will be kind enough to assist me.

I need detailed instruction on how to create the 'Fill' parts during the intro to Everybody Wants Some.

They are fill parts 1-6

1. Slack Whammy Bar?
    2. All of the pick-scraping tremolo springs picking et al.

If anyone can be of assitance it will be GREATLY appreciated. There are 6 fill parts during the song and although the sheet music (sorta) describes the method(s) used for the sound effects; they are miserably incomplete and or I am a complete moron.

Thanks for any and all help in advance

H Lucas
    This is according to the tab book. Take it for what it's worth:

Fill 1: Depress 6th string before striking, then dive more
    Fill 2: G string 2nd fret. Strike note with vol off then roll up until it feedsback, then dive.
    Fill 3: 6th string slack with bar, hit and bring up, scrape tremolo springs, dive until slack strings hit pickup
    Fill4 : Pick scrapes including pushing string into the pickup at the end
    Fill 5: Pinch harmonic G string, 2nd fret, then dive
    Fill 6: Pick scrapes

You can here flanger on some of these licks.

Chris
    Last edited by nast2112; 01.28.06 at 06:15 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Womens and Chilrens Fiwst
    Favorite VH Song

Happy (end) Trails
    Last Online

02.08.07 @ 09:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Suggested DVD/CD/Multimedia EVH/Van Halen style

thanks for all the reponses to my 'whammy' question. And to answer one of the responders..........You are right; I need to loosen-up the amp a little.

Quick Question.......What DVD's/CD's or books et al are the OVERALL best in terms of truly studying and learning the overt and subtle techniques of Mr. V

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A smart move would be to hunt down educational videos by other guitarists who have the same style and approach.

Steve Vai
    Brad Gillis

I'm sure someone else will add some more, I'm at work.

It will pay off to expose yourself to a variety of guitarists. There are many paths to understanding Ed's style and approach, since many of these guys have been influenced by EVH you may find a short cut or a revelation in another hotshot player's video.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300