Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default Some questions to ponder

Here are some questions I've been pondering lately..,if you can answer them...and I mean all of them...you just might learn the secret that is Van Halen.

1. In 2004, if the brothers were willing to tour with Sammy, why not Mike? Why did Sammy have to stick up for Mike? Was there more going on with Mike than just touring with Sammy on the Sam and Dave tour that upset the brothers?

2. Why does Sammy save better lyrics for his solo work. No, I'm not talking about MAS TEQUILLA! But listen to some of his work from 10-13 or even Red Voodoo...no writers cramp block.

3. Why doesn't Dave try harder when he sings? Why does he skip words and sing them a lot more differently live than on the albums?

4. Was Gary already signed on when VH made their appearance with Dave at the VMA's?

5. What was the exact reason VH didn't release album number 2 with Gary?

6. What was the source of the arguing on the tour in 2004? I mean, what specifically? If they put the first break up in the past...and said it was water under the bridge - what started the in-fighting again?

7. What was going on with Ed is 2004? Al sounded great...you don't "lose" your talent? Was he trying to make a point?

8. How come some fans will never understand that When It's Love, Dance the Night Away, Secrets. Jump, Why Can't This Be Love, Can't Stop Loving you, Once, Love Walks In, Big Bad Bill, Women in Love, and Not Enough are every bit as important to the VH legacy as the hard rockers Atomic Punk, On Fire, Outta Love, Everybody Wants Some, Mean Street, Unchained, Girl Gone Bad, 5150, AFU, Judgement Day, and Aftershock?

9. Have Al and Ed ever visited this site? Do they actually read threads? Does it affect them more than we think?

10. Why don't they release unreleased material?

11. What is it about Eddie and Alex - do they have trouble getting along with everyone? Can it be bad luck that they've had 3 singers? Would they have eventually turned on Gary, or is that what already happened and Gary being the class act he is just didn't say anything?

12. While we're talking about Gary? Just why did 3 suck so bad? Did they just up and forget how to write good music? Why would that be?

13. Did Alice Cooper really make a deal with the devil for fame...and if he did, did he really get what he wanted with his career? (oops, sorry...my mind drifted.

14. If Ed Leffler were still alive, would VH with Sammy have made another 4 or 5 albums?

15. Why won't Ed participate in more side projects?
    Last edited by extreme red roth; 01.22.06 at 06:32 PM.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Here are some questions I've been pondering lately..,if you can answer them...and I mean all of them...you just might learn the secret that is Van Halen.

1. In 2004, if the brothers were willing to tour with Sammy, why not Mike? Why did Sammy have to stick up for Mike?

They hated Mike for moving on.

2. Why does Sammy save better lyrics for his solo work.

The music made up for those supposed short-comings.

3. Why doesn't Dave try harder when he sings? Why does he skip words and sing them a lot more differently live than on the albums?

Because he can't sing.

4. Was Gary already signed on when VH made their appearance with Dave at the VMA's?

Probably not.

Sales.

6. What was the source of the arguing on the tour in 2004? I mean, what specifically? If they put the first break up in the past...and said it was water under the bridge - what started the in-fighting again?

Ed and his drinking.

7. What was going on with Ed is 2004? Al sounded great...you don't "lose" your talent? Was he trying to make a point?

No, he was drinking.

8. How come some fans will never understand that When It's Love, Dance the Night Away, Secrets. Jump, Why Can't This Be Love, Can't Stop Loving you, Once, Love Walks In, Big Bad Bill, Women in Love, and Not Enough are every bit as important to the VH legacy as the hard rockers Atomic Punk, On Fire, Outta Love, Everybody Wants Some, Mean Street, Unchained, Girl Gone Bad, 5150, AFU, Judgement Day, and Aftershock?

Some of us do.

9. Have Al and Ed ever visited this site? Do they actually read threads? Does it affect them more than we think?

Probably not.

They will when they need the income.

11. What is it about Eddie and Alex - do they have trouble getting along with everyone? Can it be bad luck that they've had 3 singers? Would they have eventually turned on Gary, or is that what already happened and Gary being the class act he is just didn't say anything?

Egos. Nothing more, nothing less.

12. While we're talking about Gary? Just why did 3 suck so bad? Did they just up and forget how to write good music? Why would that be?

3 didn't suck. It just wasn't what VH fans expected.

13. Did Alice Cooper really make a deal with the devil for fame...and if he did, did he really get what he wanted with his career? (oops, sorry...my mind drifted.

He's good at golf.

14. If Ed Leffler were still alive, would VH with Sammy have made another 4 or 5 albums?

That's what dreams are made of.

He's drunk.
    Last edited by TheresOnlyOneWay; 01.22.06 at 06:41 PM.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 1,618 Times in 995 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth

1. In 2004, if the brothers were willing to tour with Sammy, why not Mike? Why did Sammy have to stick up for Mike? Was there more going on with Mike than just touring with Sammy on the Sam and Dave tour that upset the brothers?

2. Why does Sammy save better lyrics for his solo work. No, I'm not talking about MAS TEQUILLA! But listen to some of his work from 10-13 or even Red Voodoo...no writers cramp block.

1. They were, and still apparently are, bitches in their old age and were likely grudging against Mikey for playing with Sam.

2. Maybe he knows no matter what he creates lyrically while in VH, he's always gonna be overshadowed by Ed?

3. Because Dave is historically more concerned with frontman image than artisan proficiency when onstage.

4. That's a matter of opinion. Some insist yes, some say otherwise. Perhaps we should ask Gary.

5. Probably because Warner told them it wouldn't fly.

6. Because Ed wasn't ready to tour while way off the wagon.

7. See # 6.

8. Because a lot of hardcore VH fans prefer their VH hard n' heavy.

9. Doubtful. Maybe Al, hearsay has it he's a net fan. Unlikely that we affect them in any fashion.

10. Because they're Van Halen, and Van Halen don't do that kinda cool stuff.

11. See # 1.

12. Oh, don't get me started.

13. If so, he got screwed. Alice Cooper fame is sorta like avocado ice cream...yeah, it's ice cream, but...geez.

14. If only Leffler had been able to stick around...or Templeman for that matter

15. See # 1.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream is over, Dreams
    Last Online

01.02.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

I think 14 is yes. I can't say for sure but I belive leffler would have kept them together, they'd have made more albums, and be in the rrhf. Still be a great and respected band.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Hate to copy off the guy next to me, but.... DITTO

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay

1. In 2004, if the brothers were willing to tour with Sammy, why not Mike? Why did Sammy have to stick up for Mike?

They hated Mike for moving on.

2. Why does Sammy save better lyrics for his solo work.

The music made up for those supposed short-comings.

Because he can't sing.

Probably not.

Sales.

Ed and his drinking.

No, he was drinking.

Some of us do.

Probably not.

They will when they need the income.

Egos. Nothing more, nothing less.

3 didn't suck. It just wasn't what VH fans expected.

He's good at golf.

That's what dreams are made of.

He's drunk.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.07.14 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1.from what has always been said the brothers don't seem to view Mike as an equal. Touring with Dave and being a Sammy sideman now is a slap in the face to them. They kept Mike unemployed through all the lead singer changes.

2. I don't think Sammy had much to work with the last go around wqith BOBW. I don't think he probably believed this ride would last too long. It doesn't seem like it did.

3. laziness to a degree. Separating live vocals from the studio work. I would agree some what with VS. Dave is involved with the entertainment aspect wherein the vocals sometime are skipped on. I don't agree; however; with some other biased Redhead who commented and said he can't sing. Some believe his hero Senor hagar sounds like Michael Bolton with a squirrel biting his nuts. Not my words or opinion. Just an observation. I guess you could expect that from his, blind 1 sided point of view. Yet I digress. Also if you want to hear the recorded versions I guess a live setting isn't for some.

4. I know DLR claims Gary was in. I don't go just by that claim though. I recall gary himself saying he was approached way before the VMA's. We hear another singer(other than Gary) was slated to join, but supposedly backed out when Dave was on the VMA's with VH, in 96'. I recall an interview in one of the guitar rags promoting VH3. Edward stated Gary's tape was in their hands around the time Sammy was just about on the outs and Dave was in 5150 with them. Sounds to me like they were keeping their options open. I sure wished I could recall which magazine it was. It made me laugh reading it because i already figured Sammy and Dave were played shady.

5.Gary quit before this was released supposedly. I think VH mach III never did album 2 because VH3 fared so poorly. I do recall that VH mach III were asking fans around that time to pick a dream setlist with a song from every VH record. We never will see that with Dave or Sam if they front again. Unless of course they both front VH. VH 3's follow up was also supposedly complete or near complete I think. Other talk around is that Warner Bros didn't want another Gary helmed VH record or tour.

6. Michael Anthony has said in recent radio interviews the most of the problems on the 2004 tour (and in the 3 attempts to work with Dave) is that some "people" have issues that they just won't let go from the past. I do believe that when he says "some people" he most obviously refers to Ed and Al. Or more likely Ed. I truly believe that you have to truly let bygones be bygones or work out what the original issue was in order to move on. They made a mistake thinking with their (VH) history that they could just forget the past. Their interviews (Ed, Al, Sammy, and Dave) prove otherwise. I do agree one big factor too was Ed's demons. Whatever they may be. His drinking included.

7. No Ed sucked live at times in 04' from booze or whatever he was indulging in. He has also had a bad last decade. I don't think it is an excuse, but even though he is paid to pay live. It doesn't seem to give him the joy or inspiration it once did. That may pass when he gets better.

8. Hey it is all a matter of opinion. What one thinks is the best of VH others might not agree. Their albums speak for themselves. Except VH3 to a large degree.

9. I think they may hear about the threads from these and other sites. I do believe word gets back to them what the word on the street is. I don't think they come to the site themselves. I think they can't listen to everything and take it to heart. I don't think they have the fans interests at heart anymore. He seems tired and fed up with the music biz. It is understandable. Steve Lukather's recent words on Ed were probably the best indication of why Ed is the way he is. He is only human. He's had alot go on in a few years.

10. I am not sure why they don't release the unreleased stuff. They have to know fans want it. They seem to think it is unreleased for a reason therefore it must be inferior. I agree that they will release it when they need the $$$$.

11. Gary like Mike knew his role and kept quiet. They knew what would happen if they opened their mouths and didn't want to be shown the door. I am not knocking Mike either. He put up with alot of shit it seems through the years. His own friend Sammy has said Mike kept quiet for so long because of this. He also just wants to rock and should be applauded for putting with all the insane cast members of this drama. Gary did his best. He unfortunately will be associated with one of VH's lowest periods. He is not totally to blame either.

12. I am sorry as an album to follow up leaving behind the 2 singers who everyone knew from VH. 3 did suck. I think it was Ed's dream record because no one was around to say no to him. Sam or Dave would have helped make this a little bit better had they been on 3. I think most would tolerate it more if it had Sam or Dave. Also different singers, bring different stylings, arrangements, and lyrics. Who knows!

13. YEs, Alice Cooper did deal with Satan.

14. Who knows what woulda happened if Leffler was still around.

15. I don't think Ed does side projects lately because over the last 10 years he hasn't done much. He apparently has some obvious personal shit to deal with. Ed also seems to be very disenchanted with the biz that is music these days.
    "Great Things Like This Only Happen For The First Time Once..." Gary Busey

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

I'll take a stab at this.

1. In 2004, if the brothers were willing to tour with Sammy, why not Mike? Why did Sammy have to stick up for Mike? Was there more going on with Mike than just touring with Sammy on the Sam and Dave tour that upset the brothers? Good question. Ed and Al know that even though they are the better players, Mike is as valuable with his intangibles that he brings.

2. Why does Sammy save better lyrics for his solo work. No, I'm not talking about MAS TEQUILLA! But listen to some of his work from 10-13 or even Red Voodoo...no writers cramp block. I disagree. I think the lyrics he wrote on Van Halen records are just as good or even better.

3. Why doesn't Dave try harder when he sings? Why does he skip words and sing them a lot more differently live than on the albums? A lot of singers don't sing songs the same way live. Plus, it's Dave's style. You want to sound like the record, then buy the record.

4. Was Gary already signed on when VH made their appearance with Dave at the VMA's? I think he was.

5. What was the exact reason VH didn't release album number 2 with Gary? Warner Brothers didn't like what they were hearing. They wanted another "Jump".

6. What was the source of the arguing on the tour in 2004? I mean, what specifically? If they put the first break up in the past...and said it was water under the bridge - what started the in-fighting again? Ed's drinking probably had a lot to do with it.

7. What was going on with Ed is 2004? Al sounded great...you don't "lose" your talent? Was he trying to make a point? I though Eddie sounded fine at the two shows that I saw.

8. How come some fans will never understand that When It's Love, Dance the Night Away, Secrets. Jump, Why Can't This Be Love, Can't Stop Loving you, Once, Love Walks In, Big Bad Bill, Women in Love, and Not Enough are every bit as important to the VH legacy as the hard rockers Atomic Punk, On Fire, Outta Love, Everybody Wants Some, Mean Street, Unchained, Girl Gone Bad, 5150, AFU, Judgement Day, and Aftershock? Fans have opinions and are entitled to them.

9. Have Al and Ed ever visited this site? Do they actually read threads? Does it affect them more than we think? It wouldn't surprise me if they did visit it. Probably Wolfie found it and showed them some stuff.

10. Why don't they release unreleased material? Only God knows why.

11. What is it about Eddie and Alex - do they have trouble getting along with everyone? Can it be bad luck that they've had 3 singers? Would they have eventually turned on Gary, or is that what already happened and Gary being the class act he is just didn't say anything? They are stubborn and in the end, it will be those two creating music together. Family bound.

12. While we're talking about Gary? Just why did 3 suck so bad? Did they just up and forget how to write good music? Why would that be? Mike Post did not do a good job producing it. Those songs sounded so much better live.

14. If Ed Leffler were still alive, would VH with Sammy have made another 4 or 5 albums? YES!!!!

15. Why won't Ed participate in more side projects? Ed did do a couple of things over the past couple of years.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell5

4. I know DLR claims Gary was in. I don't go just by that claim though. I recall gary himself saying he was approached way before the VMA's. We hear another singer(other than Gary) was slated to join, but supposedly backed out when Dave was on the VMA's with VH, in 96'. I recall an interview in one of the guitar rags promoting VH3. Edward stated Gary's tape was in their hands around the time Sammy was just about on the outs and Dave was in 5150 with them. Sounds to me like they were keeping their options open. I sure wished I could recall which magazine it was. It made me laugh reading it because i already figured Sammy and Dave were played shady.
    Did Dave really claim that Gary was in? I thought he just said that they had another singer and it turned out to be some Mitch Malloy guy or something??? Then he bailed after the MTV Awards then they got Gary. That's what I thought anyway.
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp72
    Did Dave really claim that Gary was in? I thought he just said that they had another singer and it turned out to be some Mitch Malloy guy or something??? Then he bailed after the MTV Awards then they got Gary. That's what I thought anyway.
    That's how I remember it too.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

1). Couldn;t even guess.
    2). I think he rushed it on the 2004 stuff.
    3). Lately, I thought he did try harder, but he has lost some of his range/ability.
    4). No.
    5). Gary quit... or, more likely forced out after the record company didn't like what they were hearing.. again.
    6). Ed
    7). I wish I knew.
    8). That's just how it is.
    9). No.
    10). It's incomplete and there's not much of a market for it outside of us.
    11). From what Dave and Sam have said, they are hard to get along with.
    12). I think Ed wrote teh music AFTER reading Gary's lyrics/poetry... I saw him say something to that effect in a 1998 Japanese TV interview.
    13). He got a commercial with "Staples"... bad deal!
    14). Maybe 2 or 3.
    15). Perhaps he's not asked as much these days.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

What's the meaning of life?

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812
    What's the meaning of life?
    Being good to each other, and cranking up some VH.

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

vhII
    Favorite VH Song

i'm the one
    Last Online

03.28.15 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) Dave
    2) Dave
    3) Dave
    4) Dave
    5) Dave
    6) Dave
    7) Dave
    8) Dave
    9) Dave
    10)Dave
    11)Dave
    12)Dave
    13)Dave
    14)Dave
    15)Dave

Dave is the only answer!!!
    "What you need my friend is a Cuban cigar and a copy of Barely Legal." DLR 1/5/06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

confucious say man with four balls cannot walk

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

1-Ed's been morphing into a wierd control freak for years, the peak was VH3, lets see Ed was a co-producer, lyricist, played guitar, played bass, mixed the record, sang etc. Maybe mike got sick of it and said something. Ed was sooooo under Ray daniels thumb at the time I wouldn't doubt if Ray basically told Ed he didn't need Mike and he was holding the band back, some harsh words were said and....well..all of a sudden Mike's at Sammy's shows. Just speculation.

2-I think Sam can still write good lyrics in the VH framework of music. I think there were a ton of problems with the 3 new songs-not just Sammy. I think the production was terrible, it does not hold a candle to Balance, I think-and I know I'm gonna get killed for this-Ed overplays on It's about Time. He's all over the place, doing fills and wierd shit when he should be just playing rythm like the old days. Sam said he had different lyrics for Up for Breakfast but ed asked him to re-write them, he wanted something more like poundcake, he didn't get it. Sam kept saying the song was supposed to be funny but no one thinks of it that way, oh well. LTS is pretty damn good, I love that song, can't really say anything that bad about it except that I wish the production was better.

3-For Dave it's all about the show, he'd rather look really cool than sing really well.

4-of course he was. That snake Ray daniels played everyone for fools.

5-I think Warner Bros said "no way" you can't go from being one of the biggest bands in the world, which VH was in 95 no matter what anyone says to barely going gold.

6-Ed was drunk off his ass, his playing was no where near what it was in the past, Hell if he could have played like he did in 98 and stayed away from the booze it would have been a really different tour. I think Sam really wants to be buds with ed again, remember him and ed used to be really tight but Ed's not the same guy he was in 86-93, he used to be a happy drunk, now he just seems like he's a bitter old drunk.

7-see above

8-Let me go on record and say I have no problem with songs like Not Enough and Love walks in. It just shows a different side of the band and shows what they are capable of when everything is going right. Sure I love songs like Girl Gone Bad and On Fire and 5150 but the other songs just show what a dynamic bunch of songwriters these guys can be.

9-probably

10-I've come to believe that VH in general is pretty damn stingy. I don't understand why nothing has ever really surfaced since they started using 5150 to record thier stuff. Lets see, FUCK was supposedly supposed to be a double album, I can name at least 3-4 songs that were cut off that album, Balance had unreleased finished tunes, III had a couple, there's Between Us Two, the DAve stuff etc, why not release it? What would it really hurt?

11-I think Ed changed drastically between 94 and 95, hell listne to the House of Blues radio show he and Sammy did in 94, you can really get a feel that he and Sam were still getting along. Ray daniels really fucked that guy up. The Dave thing was bound to happen, the Sam thing was all daniels. Gary was just a puppet. I've heard he never really got along with Alex so who knows what would have happened.

12-like I said in number 1 something very bad happened to ed, singer, producer you name it ed did it on this album. It was not VH, Hell VH the band has not appeared since 95 when they were a unit.

13-uhhhhhh....

14-Yes.

15-Ed's in no shape to do anything right now. He's rather stay in 5150 with his bottle of whine.