Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default Considering buying a Wolfie....have a few questions.

I have some very basic, dumb questions about the Wolfgang Special. I've been playing guitar for a long time but always acoustic. However, for years I've always had a little obsession with the Wolfies....they're fucking beautiful!! Plus, they always seem to get great reviews. Unless I'm wrong, people who own them seem to love them.

But I'm not so sure I'm going to be playing too much VH on it, mainly because Ed's style is just way out of my league. I'm looking to mostly dabble with U2, Robben Ford, and overall just bluesy type of stuff. How will the Wolfgang sound on these types of tunes??

Unfortunately, I can't ever find a Wolfgang to try out, so I can't really guage the sound myself. I have full confidence in the craftmanship of these guitars.....quality is the least of my worries. What could I expect from the Wofie??

Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Mike
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in a blues band and have 5 wolfgang's, all different models. I am very happy with the guitar as a "blues guitar". I usually use the neck pick-up and tweek the eq on my amp (5150 combo) as all the guitars sound different. But they will scream as good as any les paul and won't hum like the strats. Hope this helps!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by scs5150
    I am in a blues band and have 5 wolfgang's, all different models. I am very happy with the guitar as a "blues guitar". I usually use the neck pick-up and tweek the eq on my amp (5150 combo) as all the guitars sound different. But they will scream as good as any les paul and won't hum like the strats. Hope this helps!
    That does help....thanks!

You've got 5 Wolfies??? Wow.....I'd love to see some pics, got any??
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Last Online

01.22.06 @ 06:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Wolfgangs are great guitars; I own one (quilted archtop Tobacco Burst), and I love the $#@! out of it. That being said, it may not be the best guitar for getting the Robben Ford/U2 sound your looking for. I'm not sure what Robben is playing these days, but for a while he was playing Strats and Teles. The single coil pickups in these guitars tend to produce a little "thinner" sound than the humbuckers on the Wolfie, which give it more of a Les Paul type tone. The Edge is playing Les Pauls live, and his best recordings have used a combo of Les Pauls/Strats/Teles & Vox amps.

Bottom line is this: if you have a specific tone in mind, and your ultimate goal is to reproduce that tone, then go after the equipment which was used to create it in the first place. Robben Ford/Edge tone is probably best approximated with a Strat or Tele and a Fender or Vox amp, which will produce a "clearer", less distorted tone than the meaty hot rodded tone obtained with a Wolfgang through a Peavey ala EVH. That being said, (to me) the Wolfgang looks much better than most Strats or Teles, so it makes your choice a little more difficult! Do you attempt to perfectly replicate the tone, or do you go for the cosmetics and sacrifice a little of that "target" sound? Wolfies play and sound great, but they don't nail the Strat/Tele tone. If that's okay with you, then go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JumpTheHotTeacher
    I have full confidence in the craftmanship of these guitars.....quality is the least of my worries. Mike
    I wouldn't be that blindly loyal to the brand name. Some Wolfgang guitars are totally inconsistent quality wise. Also, if you play U2, Edge doesn't use Floyd-equipped guitars...Just a thought...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I've owned numerous Wolfgangs, just one at this time. The necks are unbelieveably easy to play on, great action, great comfort. I'm not sure however, if this it the guitar you would want in a blues band?? I personally think a Strat of some sort would suite you better?? Just remember to check them all out at your local store b4 you buy, or settle on one!!

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For a "pure raw" blues tone, there is no substitute for a strat. However the wolfgang can get close to a strat tone with a little play on the eq of the amp. The wolf is easier to play because of the neck and overall set-up. You just need to fiqure out the "tone" you are looking for and try to re-produce it in your mind, ears and hands. As for pix, I don't know how to post them here. Sorry.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream is over, Dreams
    Last Online

01.02.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

I have a wolfgang special and a standard, and I highly recomend these guitars. They are pretty much all I've ever played in any band I've ever played in. I have played blues, rock, pop and metal on them. They work for a lot in my oppenion. great guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Thanks for some very well thought out answers, I really appreciate it.

A lot of what you said was confirming what I thought. My gut is telling me I'll need to go the Strat route based on the tone I'm looking for. But shit, I love those damn Wolfies.......Eddie has been my guitar hero since about 1979/80 and I just feel like I need to own the guitar he puts his name on!

Last Online

09.21.06 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you like the Wolfie, I'd get one. It'll cost a few more bucks, but you won't regret it. I wouldn't trade mine. Especially since it is now obsolete.You can always find a good Strat for pretty cheap. I just picked up a nice "Caddilac Blue" Strat with Floyd Rose and a humbucker in the bridge for about $325. Perfect blues tones out of it, but can also get heavy sounds out of the humbucker. Two different guitars, both great in their own right. Get both!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JumpTheHotTeacher
    Thanks for some very well thought out answers, I really appreciate it.

A lot of what you said was confirming what I thought. My gut is telling me I'll need to go the Strat route based on the tone I'm looking for. But shit, I love those damn Wolfies.......Eddie has been my guitar hero since about 1979/80 and I just feel like I need to own the guitar he puts his name on!
    I'll tell you this...you have versatile tastes and the Wolf is NOT a versatile guitar. I've owned 5 of them...One reason the Strat and the Paul are so popular is because they can easily adapt to several styles of music...Not so the Wolfgang, IMO...Just think about what the Wolf was made for and compare that to what you want to accomplish...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

01.17.16 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfgang and U2

I have a USA Wolfgang Special and LOVE U2. I record the following clip with the wolfgang, my boss OS-2, and a little bit of delay. The tone isn't exactly Edge's, but I think it comes close. If you really, want the Edge's tone you need to get a Tele or Strat. Hope this helps!!!!

http://www.sharkle.com/?a=video&id=36264
    "One volume knob and one pickup ? that's all there is to it. No fancy tone knobs over here!" -EVH

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by kruz5150
    I have a USA Wolfgang Special and LOVE U2. I record the following clip with the wolfgang, my boss OS-2, and a little bit of delay. The tone isn't exactly Edge's, but I think it comes close. If you really, want the Edge's tone you need to get a Tele or Strat. Hope this helps!!!!

http://www.sharkle.com/?a=video&id=36264
    Thanks for sharing the vid. "Vertigo" is a one of those less common U2 tunes with a lot of crunch to it....I can see how the Wolfie would be fine for that. But like many others have said, the classic U2 sound is mostly a strat and a lot of delay.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    I'll tell you this...you have versatile tastes and the Wolf is NOT a versatile guitar. I've owned 5 of them...One reason the Strat and the Paul are so popular is because they can easily adapt to several styles of music...Not so the Wolfgang, IMO...Just think about what the Wolf was made for and compare that to what you want to accomplish...
    The Wolf is not "not" a versatile axe. Any guitar, is as versatile as the hands/fingers that are on it. A Strat can adapt to several styles of music? Sure, but a stock Strat falls short in a lot of Hard Rock tones - specifically rhythm. Now, with pickup swaps and shit, yeah, a Strat can cover just about anything. A Wolfgang in the hands of a versatile player, can be a versatile guitar, just like a lot of guitars.

I'm saying, for "Jump the...", if you're not planning to use the whang bar, and you're more after the bands you mentioned, sure, I'd go with a Strat or a decent G&L, etc.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I think the Wolfgang is a fairly versatile guitar. The only thing would maybe offer a neck and middle single coil setup ala Strat if you want the SRV sound or whatever. I like the idea of the humbucker in the neck position on the Wolfgang. It has a cool blues sound to it and I use it for most of the clean stuff I do.

Remember, there is no guitar that will do it all. That's why when you go down to your local music store you see those Roland and other boxes that have a million guitar/amp combos programmed into them because most people don't have a Strat/Tele/Les Paul/EBMM/Wolf/ETC... and a Marshall/Fender/Peavey/Soldano/ETC... at their everyday disposal...

Get what ya like and what will inspire ya to play your ass off!
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60