Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 12 Posts

Donor

Widescreen Aspect Ratio Question

If this is a dumb question, forgive me.

I just recently bought a widescreen HDTV. Now, previous to this purchase, I always bought DVD's in widescreen format thinking that when I do purchase this new TV, that my movies would fill the screen.

Was I wrong?? I still get those annoying black bars at the top and bottom.

However, when I watch a DVD made in full-screen format, all is well. I thought Full Screen meant that the picture was chopped off on the sides??

Where am I going wrong??

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I don't know about your tv - maybe you have to tell it which mode you want. My television has 5 different modes - from ol' fashioned 4:3 up to wide screen - forget what the aspect ratio is. But it's fairly smart in that it will pick the mode that fits the DVD best. That being said, sometimes there are still bars at the top and the bottom because not all wide-screen films have the same aspect ratio - some are wider screen than others! So when I have a film that has an aspect ratio that's wider than the aspect ratio of the tv, I still get bars, though not as much as I would if I were to watch it in 4:3 mode. But anyway, your television might not automatically choose the best mode and that may be something you have to set with each individual viewing...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

well just make sure in your dvd player settings that you have your tv type set to 16:9 widescreen. that should take care of the problem, however as the previous poster said...not all widescreen dvd's eliminate the bars completely because the dvd is not all of the same ratio. but for most of them it does. and watching a full screen dvd on a widescreen tv does chop off the sides but it stretches it out to fill the screen. so that's not good.
    Last edited by OnTheInside1985; 01.20.06 at 09:52 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's called annamorphic....it's "cropped" even more than 16:9. A lot of your older movies were shot this way.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Last Online

09.14.15 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, you have bear a few things in mind.

The aspect ratio of HDTV is 16:9 or, to put it in film aspect ratio terms, 1.78:1

This will eliminate black bars on television shows and films that were shot in that aspect ratio.

Some examples of this are Once Upon a Time in Mexico and pretty much every television show that's now shot in widescreen.

An HDTV will also eliminate black bars on movies shot in the more standard 1.85:1 aspect ratio.

Sin City's a recent example of this and most of Spielberg's films are shot in this aspect ratio.

However, once you get into 2.35:1 or 2.40:1, there will still be black bars at the top and bottom of the screen because it's still a wider image than your television.

All the Star Wars movies are in this aspect ratio, as is Collateral for a more recent example.

As for full screen, you're right, the image is cropped on the sides and since there's no black bars in the first place, of course they won't show up on your HDTV. Another thing to bear in mind is that a full screen image is technically "stretched" to fit the widescreen television, distorting the image even more.

I hope this helps. You're probably watching films in the 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 (they're techincally the same but that's another story in and of itself) aspect ratio, which is why you're still seeing black bars. Check the back of your DVD case to see what the aspect ratio is. If it doesn't list it, check IMDB, they list the aspect ratio a film's shot in.

Enjoy! HD is the way to go!

Favorite VH Album

Any and All
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

02.07.12 @ 10:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Widescreen DVD

What a great thread, I was just having this discussion last night. I just got a 42" plasma screen. I don't yet have my HD cable box, but will in two weeks.

Questions:

1. Is the best ratio to watch DVD's in the regular 16:9? Should I alays use the widescreen DVD option?

2. Is the best ratio to watch TV in then the regular 16:9 (both HD and regular analog)?

3. When would you use a "panoramic" view on the screen?

4. Is there anywhere or anybody that can recommend a color setting combination (contrast, brightness, color, warm, cool, natural)? This is my biggest struggle. Sometimes I think I have it correct, and the scene changes and I can't see well at all.

Any help is appreciated!
    "What is understood doesn't need to be discussed. Right, Edward?"

Last Online

09.14.15 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangvh
    What a great thread, I was just having this discussion last night. I just got a 42" plasma screen. I don't yet have my HD cable box, but will in two weeks.

Questions:

1. Is the best ratio to watch DVD's in the regular 16:9? Should I alays use the widescreen DVD option?

2. Is the best ratio to watch TV in then the regular 16:9 (both HD and regular analog)?

3. When would you use a "panoramic" view on the screen?

4. Is there anywhere or anybody that can recommend a color setting combination (contrast, brightness, color, warm, cool, natural)? This is my biggest struggle. Sometimes I think I have it correct, and the scene changes and I can't see well at all.

Any help is appreciated!

1. Yes, widescreen is always the way to go. It's how the director shot the film and sometimes the way they frame the shot and place the characters is meticulous and full screen affects this. Once in a great, great while (it's not really the case anymore), the studios will dupe people and simply "letterbox" aka just put black bars on a full screen image and advertise it as the O.A.R. (original aspect ratio)

MGM got in trouble for this. They did it with the special edition of The Producers (a new version has been released since) and first edition of The Princess Bride (again, another edition has been released since)

2. I think I pretty much answered this question in number 1 but yes, the wide mode is always the way to go.

3. I think "panoramic" is probably similar to the "angle" option on that comes on all DVD remotes. If something utilizes the "panoramic" option, you'll know, otherwise it won't have much use.

4. There's no right answer for this, you're just going to have keep messing around until you get it right. It's not the answer you probably want to hear but that's how it goes.

Again, hope this helps.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.29.08 @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

man what a good thread! Home theater my forte here. I just bought a Plasma TV and had to go through all this a year ago.. basically lets start with HDTV.... the ratio aspect for HD is of course 16:9 however, not all programming is HD. So SD or standard definition is a ratio of 4:3. So when watching a SD program in HD you will get the picture in 4:3 ratio but your TV is set to disply 16:9.. and then you get the SD program not filling out the entire screen. So i have my TV and HD box set so that when SD is on it stretches the screen. Now DVD's... DVD's are NOT HD they are SD but with a progressive mode. Now when you buy a HDTV set and a DVD player.. you will have to make changes in BOTH the tv set and the player to help this problem out. All sets have many inputs I basically run HDTV on one input and DVD on a totally different input I do not run it like a VCR. So start with a totally dedicated input on your HDTV set... secondly, make sure that your DVD player is progressive. Then you will need 3 cables to transmit the Red, Blue, Green from the DVD player to the TV set. Get your settings on the TV to be able to read 480P or progessive in a 16:9 ratio,, there are settings on the tv to do these things... then you also need to go into the dvd player menu and do that same on the output of it, set it to progessive mode. Now as far as the letterbox or black bars... that is a HOLLYWOOD issue. Unless the DVD specifically states on the box that it is FORMATTED in 16:9 ratio it will ALWAYS NO MATTER THE TV OR DVD PLAYER PLAY IN LETTERBOX. Widescreen it is called.. now the full screen mode is 4:3 ratio and you get cut off on the sides but it appears to fill out the tv... if you want go rent a fullscreen and then rent a widescreen and play both and you'll see how much your missing on fullscreen, it's an illusion to seem fuller. This is scrictly a formatting thing and there are going to come out with 720P or 1080P dvd players... or HDDVD players.. but then that is going to be awhile.. it's hard cause yes I know star wars was shot in HD but it wont play HD on a dvd cause dvd's ARE NOT HD. They are just dvd's.. Hope this helps..

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also to help out a bit,,, dont use panaramic or stretch or anything on DVD's just set it and leave it alone is the best... now as far as calibrating your TV to get the best picture... man I use this myself there are the AVIA calibration disk that gets very complicated and very costly.. the best thing to use to calibrate your HDTV or any tv for that matter is on any star wars dvd there is in the OPTIONS part of the start up menu, go into OPTIONS then a menu of different modes are available like dolby 5.1, dts 5.1, french all that shit... look for a THX logo and click on that, then a THX menu will pop up for both AUDIO and VIDEO, if you have a surround sound then the audio you can use to calibrate your speakers and levels, and the VIDEO is what you want to calibrate your tv... just basically grab your tv remote and the dvd remote and follow along and it really really makes a difference on everything. Use that THX menu and man you'll love it.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangvh
    I watch it in whatever it was meant to be watched. If I'm watching something that's 4:3, then I watch it in 4:3 mode - my kids think I'm nuts, but I don't like people's heads looking like footballs. The HD channels, of course I watch in HD 16:9 mode.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    I watch it in whatever it was meant to be watched. If I'm watching something that's 4:3, then I watch it in 4:3 mode - my kids think I'm nuts, but I don't like people's heads looking like footballs. The HD channels, of course I watch in HD 16:9 mode.
    OH my now on this situation here... be very, very, very.... did I say very? carefull of doing this type of thing here.. just know that in 4:3 you get the screen not filling to the full width of the tv by doing that so you get essentially "black bars" on the sides of the picture... now in this situation if you have a plasma, or a rear projection tv,, in some cases even and LCD tv.. you WILL not you may get but you eventually WILL get what's called "burn in" which in the case of this means that in a plasma case the pixel's on the sides literally aren't getting a work out and eventually lose their brightness, and in the case of a rear projection the projection screen is getting an image on partial screen and eventually you get a permanant black bar look burned into it. So while you may not like the stretched look or "football heads" I agree it takes awhile to get used to the image I would HIGHLY NOT RECOMMEND doing this. Basically the equavilent of doing this would be if you lived in the cold weather states and you dont warm up your car in the morning just get in and go, after awhile it messes the engine up, after awhile of not taking care of your tv and watching the proper format if messes the tv up, I guess if you like getting a new tv every 3 years cool, but yeah the manufactures of ALL tv recommend not leaving black bars of any type on the screen for long periods of time. a movie here and there is fine but actual TV viewing adds up..

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

edit
    Last edited by OnTheInside1985; 01.21.06 at 11:39 AM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    Basically the equavilent of doing this would be if you lived in the cold weather states and you dont warm up your car in the morning just get in and go...
    Oh, I used to do that too when I lived up North

Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    ...the manufactures of ALL tv recommend not leaving black bars of any type on the screen for long periods of time. a movie here and there is fine but actual TV viewing adds up...
    Mine are grey. And it's not a plasma. And I don't watch a whole lot of tv that isn't Hi-Def (I don't watch a lot of TV, period anyway)

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ah geesh not another one... man I wasn't trying to be a smartass I was merely saying that burn in happens,, to MORE THEN JUST PLASMA!!! I think i even said that it happens to rear projections just as easy.. I only was trying to help dude, no need to be rude with your reply.. A friend of mine has an RCA that he got at walmart.. damn good tv but he was doing what you were doing which was having.. black bars..(grey in your case... geesh you knew what i meant) and now they're in permanently, you can see a little hint of lines on the sides when the tv goes dark for a split second.. I mean congrats that you have no respect for your cars and tv's and what ever else,, good to know daddy taught you well. I was only giving advice because I dont know I"m just a calibration/repairman for electronics.. just thought i'd throw out some things I have seen that have cost other people a lot of money down the road.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I didn't say your advice wasn't good. Chill.

Personally, I can't wait until the day when all channels are high def. Not sure what they'll do on the sides when they broadcast something 4:3 but hopefully it'll be something that will prevent burn in without being distracting.