09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default A giant step backward for women

A giant step backward for women
    Debra J. Saunders

Thursday, January 19, 2006

WHEN social conservatives argue that legalizing same-sex marriage could lead to legalized polygamy, same-sex marriage advocates either laugh or sneer. It's a scare tactic, they say. It'll never happen. Last year, however, as Canada legalized same-sex marriage, Prime Minister Paul Martin commissioned a $150,000 study to debunk the polygamy argument. Big mistake: The study confirmed the scare tactic by recommending that Canada repeal its anti-polygamy law.

It also suggested that a legal challenge to Canada's anti-polygamy laws would succeed. "Why criminalize behavior?" asked Martha Bailey, one of the study's three law-professor authors. "We don't criminalize adultery."

Confession time: I am one of those who, for years, has argued that legalizing same-sex marriage would not open the door for polygamy. The limit for marriages would remain two, I argued. Two doesn't mean three or four.

Wrong. In these politically correct times, do-gooders expand definitions until words -- or institutions -- lose all meaning. Marriage can mean whatever you want.

And: If you don't prosecute all crimes in a category, you can't prosecute one. That's essentially what Bailey argued.

The study recognized the "strong association between polygamy and gender inequality." Then the authors apparently decided that Canadian law should eliminate any legal unfairness -- in inherently unequal marriages.

One Kuwaiti wife can't move to Canada to live with her husband and another wife. That's: Unfair to the wife, Unfair to Muslims. The study noted, "The parties most likely to suffer from this rule are the left-behind wives."

To eliminate that inequity, these professors are ready to provide legal cover for all polygamous (and polyandrous) marriages.

"There's a logical extension to it," laughed Rob Stutzman, who worked on the Proposition 22 campaign in 2000, a measure that limited marriage in California to a union between a man and a woman. "If you accept the premise that marriage should be whatever relationships people want to enter into," he said, polygamy is legit.

Brad Luna of the Human Rights Campaign, which supports same-sex marriage, finds any linkage of polygamy to same-sex marriage "offensive." He warned against reading too much into one Canadian study. In the United States, he said, "two people is the defining element in our system of government on contractual marriage."

Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-S.F., who has pushed for same-sex marriage in California, noted, "a unique nature of a relationship with two. If you go beyond two, you can't draw a line anywhere else that isn't arbitrary."

I agree, but the Canadian study gives me pause. The authors use a very American argument: That adults already are living in de facto polygamous relationships, so why make their arrangements illegal?

The answer is that even if authorities cannot and should not jail adults for group cohabitation, the state should not extend legal protections to those unions. Extending marital protections to same-sex couples bestows equality. Extending protections to unequal unions protects inequality.

The Washington Times interviewed polygamous Mormons, who argued they lead happy, harmonious lives. That may be, but the practice is poison for cultures at large. Rich men marry many wives. Poor men do not. Women have few opportunities and limited rights. It can't be good for the kids. Consider polygamy's most famous son: Osama bin Laden, whose father sired 54 children with 22 wives.

Many elites argue that Canada is 10 years ahead of the United States, when it comes to gay rights. But when legal scholars are so progressive that they are willing to shove marriage back to the Stone Age, they reveal a culture with a death wish.

American advocates for same-sex marriage may want to reconsider supporting civil unions in lieu of same-sex marriage. Or some way to limit marriage to two adults.

If you want to keep the government out of family life, don't legalize marriages that, when they dissolve, split property (and kids) between one husband and three wives.

(Excerpt: More here) http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGN8GOTST1.DTL

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well things might change here in Canada pretty quickly after the federal election on Monday the 23rd. If the Conservative party wins, and all signs point to this happening, one of the first things they will do is repeal the same sex marriage laws that the Liberal party implemented. Or so say the talking heads.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dunno. If you can afford six wives, more power to ya. It's not like you
    can't have six wives already, you just have to do them sequentially. But
    have a good time when you have to divide your shit between seven people.

I guess it's easy to get shocked by this, but the idea of the eternal man/
    woman coupling is relatively new and is largely a cultural phenomenon.
    Again the issue is down to religion. If I want to form a corporation
    with four people, why not? But it's hard enough to find one good woman,
    so I'm usually unfazed by these kind of arguments.
    Last edited by mistere; 01.19.06 at 10:52 AM.

Top Of The World bigdrewhalenite's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

07.14.15 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me just take this moment to point out, as a Mormon, that the article's reference to polygamous Mormons is incorrect. Although polygamy was practiced at one time by Mormons, the practice has been repealed. Members found in polygamous relationships are given the ultimatum to end the relationships or face excommunication.
    So-called "polygamous" Mormons are, in fact, an offshoot of the original church and are not counted as part of the main congregation. They also tend to be very fundamentalist and (at least in Utah) tend to be antagonistic toward mainstream members.
    When I was a missionary in Spain, the people would say, "Oh, aren't you those guys that have a bunch of wives?" And I'd usually reply, "We used to be, but we got tired of having so many mothers-in-law!" That usually got a good chuckle out of people, and was a good icebreaker.
    Violence is the first refuge of the incompetent.- Isaac Asimov

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

polygamy, or the practice of one man and several women, is the natural state of man.

That can be made legal or illegal and it doesnt matter..when something is the natural,intended state, it will survive all else, especially laws..
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli
    polygamy, or the practice of one man and several women, is the natural state of man.

Dude, run for office. I'm not kidding.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Isn't it obvious?
    Last Online

09.13.06 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli

That can be made legal or illegal and it doesnt matter..when something is the natural,intended state, it will survive all else, especially laws..
    Well, I guess if that's the natural state of man, then the natural state of woman is to be taken care of financially by man.
    Honey, I ain't through with you!

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!