Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ping Floyd Rose?

Anyone installed/have one of these with the brass that they describe?

http://www.axcessories.com/proddetai...prod=axfrpingc

Does it make your sound more trebly/tinny/metallic? Are the edges better/top quality like the originals?

Thanks
    Chris

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Just my opinion ...

Just from looking at it (and I don't own one of these specifically, BTW), it looks to be pretty nice. The ones you want to stay away from are the ones which cost like $50 - $80 and have the appearance that the unit was made of like a crushed metal powder and then fused into a mold of the parts which make up a Floyd Rose. I don't know what that manufacturing process is called, but I think I know it when I see the parts. Often times the top of the Floyd looks nice so its hard to tell, but if you flip it over and look at the bottom, you'll see what I mean about the manufacturing process. A well made Floyd, on its underside, looks like plated brass and is very smooth (at least the ones I own do).

Anyways, I've seen cheap Jacksons, the new Korean Kramers, and the OLP Floyd Rose MM-1 all have those cheap Floyds on them.

A place called CustomShopParts.com used to sell the cheap ones but it seems that they don't anymore. I wish I had a concrete example for you of the ones to avoid but I can't find them right now.

This Ping model looks like what I bought from Carvin almost 10 years ago. I paid like $120 on sale (normally like $140, so that seems right). If the Floyd is any good, it won't wear in a year or two ... it'll take like 5 - 10 years of serious abuse before you see the knife edges get worn to the point of tuning problems. (Mine has YET to fail me).

If you're really unsure and want something you can trust, you could check Ebay for a vintage Floyd from the late 1980's. I did this for one of my guitars and its never let me down ... even being as old as it is and probably seeing abuse back in the day and now.

Good Luck

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HipCat5
    Just from looking at it (and I don't own one of these specifically, BTW), it looks to be pretty nice. The ones you want to stay away from are the ones which cost like $50 - $80 and have the appearance that the unit was made of like a crushed metal powder and then fused into a mold of the parts which make up a Floyd Rose. I don't know what that manufacturing process is called, but I think I know it when I see the parts. Often times the top of the Floyd looks nice so its hard to tell, but if you flip it over and look at the bottom, you'll see what I mean about the manufacturing process. A well made Floyd, on its underside, looks like plated brass and is very smooth (at least the ones I own do).

Anyways, I've seen cheap Jacksons, the new Korean Kramers, and the OLP Floyd Rose MM-1 all have those cheap Floyds on them.

A place called CustomShopParts.com used to sell the cheap ones but it seems that they don't anymore. I wish I had a concrete example for you of the ones to avoid but I can't find them right now.

This Ping model looks like what I bought from Carvin almost 10 years ago. I paid like $120 on sale (normally like $140, so that seems right). If the Floyd is any good, it won't wear in a year or two ... it'll take like 5 - 10 years of serious abuse before you see the knife edges get worn to the point of tuning problems. (Mine has YET to fail me).

If you're really unsure and want something you can trust, you could check Ebay for a vintage Floyd from the late 1980's. I did this for one of my guitars and its never let me down ... even being as old as it is and probably seeing abuse back in the day and now.

Good Luck
    Thanks for the info. BTW, did you think the brass added more of a metallic/tinny/trebly sound? What about sustain?

Thanks
    Chris

Hot For Teacher Eddie's Little Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

05.25.07 @ 05:14 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ping golf clubs? Thats kinda cool. I used to work for ping here in AZ and I know That one of the Solhiem's Kids (the Owners of PING) Was a super avid guitar player. Had a band around town for a while. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. They all work for the company so I'm sure somewhere that it does.
    now more than ever, the world needs Eddie Van Halen
    -Alchemy

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Brass & tone ...

I don't know about how the brass might effect the tone. I'd imagine that the cheap ones will sound THIN compared to the heavy brass ones ... BUT, that's just speculation. Personally, I use a "down-only" style Floyd (ala EVH, of course). I glue a small piece of wood to the inside of the TREM cavity on the back of the guitar so that the trem's spring plate presses tight against it when the trem is "at rest". To me, that sound is plenty warm and has sustain. I can also use 2 springs then and get that loose wiggle bar feeling without having it fall out of tune).

If you like floating trems, try a trem-setter unit. They work pretty well.

Good luck

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a one of these Ping trems on my Strat. It is a very well made trem outside of a major complaint that I have about it: the trem arm has too much slack in the fitting/bushing when used. I have tried everything to make the arm not feel loose and sloppy in the bushing. It's been like this since day 1 (brand new). I have removed the bushing from the bottom of the arm and retightened to no avail. I insert the arm into the bushing and tighten the finger screw all the way tight and then back it off just a bit so the arm swings. That's where you need the arm to be tight and not have gaps in the bushing. It's all loose and sloppy and not sure what to do about it other than buy and try new arms/bushings...
    Talkin Some New Kicks

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m e a n s t r e e t
    I have a one of these Ping trems on my Strat. It is a very well made trem outside of a major complaint that I have about it: the trem arm has too much slack in the fitting/bushing when used. I have tried everything to make the arm not feel loose and sloppy in the bushing. It's been like this since day 1 (brand new). I have removed the bushing from the bottom of the arm and retightened to no avail. I insert the arm into the bushing and tighten the finger screw all the way tight and then back it off just a bit so the arm swings. That's where you need the arm to be tight and not have gaps in the bushing. It's all loose and sloppy and not sure what to do about it other than buy and try new arms/bushings...
    That sucks. Did you get it from Mitchel at Axcessories? I'm wondering if he could help you out.

BTW, I picked up a Wolfgang Special this week. Guess what the block is made of? Brass. I guess I have my answer, eh?

Thanks
    Chris

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I hate when I put cheap gas in my guitar and it causes my Floyd Rose to ping. Man, never again. Just get the Hi-Test stuff Steven. I get more mileage out of my strings too!