Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Starting up a home business

I work in IT Consulting right now. I switched companies about 3 months ago, and although I don't mind it, I'm tired of answering to people (bosses). It seems like now I have 3 different people telling me what to do. I am also doing half engineering and half sales. I definitely want to do more sales because I think it's more up my alley. I'm tired to working on shit. I think my last job burned me out. Too many late hours of troubleshooting and not feeling appreciated. Now I would rather be out selling but that's hard to do as well in this environment. IT sales is a rough area. Maybe I can be selling software or something where the buyer's market is better. IT is a necessary evil and most people don't buy anything unless they are forced to by regulators or what have you. My job pays relatively well, and it's easy stuff, but I'm not sure if I'm getting a whole lot of pleasure out of it. Been feeling this way for 2 years. Before that, I wanted to get my hands into anything technology....it's a bit different now.

So I've been hearing of these ads for doing your own thing. One of them is replacetheboss.com. They send you this DVD and it teaches you how to do anything you want without all this business experience. I think if I have the right idea, I can run with it, but I'm not sure if this is one of those stupid paramid things or something completely useless like your own Internet machine at the airport.

Anyone try anything like this? Anyone think of trying it? Anyone succeed?
    Last edited by Pabs; 01.18.06 at 09:40 AM.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I don’t know specifically about that website, Pabs, but I do know from experience that home based businesses are tough. For fun, I have a home based photography business. I get a few weddings here and there, but I make the bulk of my money off of senior pictures. I have a full-time job I don’t see myself ever leaving, and the money I make off of the photography affords me some nice “me toys”, but I am not that confident that I could make a living just off of it. People do have success, though.

Ask Phatie, I think he works for himself successfully…he may be able to give you some better tips.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:08 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 87 Posts

My wife had a medical billing home base biz for a while when our kids were infants. It was very tough, i think the most she made was about $300-$400 a month.

Granted, she worked maybe a few hours a week and it paid for groceries at least. It was just hard getting doctors to send her business.

I just look at them all as scams, but would like some ideas/experiences from people that actually make money at it.
    Dealing with it.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

No question about it, it's a scam. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck with it.

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I worked from home for five years with my own business, but my own thing, not a 'bought' idea. I couldn't have done it on my own, though, as I don't have a great business head on me. My business partner (who also worked from home) took care of all the billing, accounts, all the number crunching. Growth in the business has meant we've had to move into actual commercial premises just over a year ago, but we had a long stretch in our respective spare rooms before that.

To be honest, after five years I had just about enough of working from home. In many respects it's great. You don't have to get up in the morning and rush about to get ready, then travel to work, and all that. You just get up at a reasonable time, scratch your ass, have some cornflakes, wander into your home office and start work. You can pretty much come and go as you please, take half an hour off and watch TV if you like and so on, but you do need to be self disciplined to get your work done.

After five years, though, the down sides of working from home really got to me. One of the biggest (and this might not be such an issue for those that have a family, but I lived on my own for most of that time) was that I could go for days without seeing another living soul. Talking on the phone to clients and such is fine, but not having personal contact day to day can be really demoralising. I found myself just going into town for a while every other day just to see other human beings!

The other problem that built up was the psychological aspect of never arriving at, or leaving, a place of work. I was self disciplined enough for my day to have a reasonable structure, but if you don't think you can do that then home working isn't for you. The worst thing was 10 o'clock at night, watching TV, having a nagging at the back of my mind that I should really go and do some more work. Because you don't physically leave a place of work and go home, you never have that separation of finishing your working day. So many times I wound up sitting at my computer working at midnight because of this.

By the nature of my business I come into contact with quite a few other people who work from home, and I think people with families cope with it better because they inherit the routines of those around them. The same was true when my ex-girlfriend lived with me - I got up and went to work the same time as her, and quit when she got home.

Anyway, setting up a proper premises for my business was done out of neccessity, but it's really been good for me. I never would have thought it, but I've been glad to get back to a more or less 9-to-5 work life. Still glad I don't have to answer to a boss, though, but that's another story...
    Last edited by Charvel2; 01.18.06 at 03:06 PM.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I can't add a whole lot to the above brilliant post, except to say that you have to be prepared for a pay-cut, for 6 months or so. To those of us to abhore tyranny, you will gladly work for less!

Put it out of your mind that you are working, and start creating. The hours are longer. I've got Q4 Retail taxes to add up all night, and the only break from that was today when I made a nice $600 profit. It takes time and energy, and a knack for networking people, but the old saying, "fake it till you make it" is exactly what happens.

Forget that you can do IT, or sell this or that. Deprogram yourself for a couple weeks. Go to the state office that handles business licenses and see what you need to get started. A FIEN is first, then a business checking account, some liability insurance, and whatever bond or contractor's license you need in your area of work, if it involves construction, etc.

Build it, and it will happen - just like Field of Dreams. I'm serious when I say this. Don't sweat the small stuff. You are too stressed right now, and I can feel it reading your words. You have a permanent headache, and your vocal chords are strained from keeping that 'nice' tone while you do support. You need a good 3 day bender, and a what-the-fuck attitude while you put it together. When you finally relax, your idea will come to you.

Write down a scope of services. Everything you know how to do on paper. Polish it. Put your logo at the top. Drive out into the world and start talking to people. Next thing you know, a printer will break, or some other networking need will just arise, while you are standing there. It's just your higher power giving you your daily bread. Learn to recognize it.

Working for other people sucks, and I will never do it again. My last boss cured me. I will live longer, and I know it. Somedays I work 14 hours, and some I work none. Depends on how I feel, and what I want to do. Also, it impresses chicks when you have a business card and drive a new Porsche, so use that as your goal to motivate you.

Whatever you do, now that you've got that taste of freedom on your tongue, you will either go postal at work, or use it as motivation to get started in anything you desire. The world is yours for the taking. Never forget that its your life, and this is the easiest country in the world to start a business!

Good luck.
    Ph@

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Phats, that was words of wisdom...great post.

And everything you said is true..IF you really want to make it on your own, you can and will..but it is a direct reflection of how much you put into it..and not quitting at the first rough spot or negative feedback..

Im embarking down the same road..not IT, but my own business..my own idea..and im taking it one step at a time..i think you must plan a bit..but dont plan so much you never go for it..at some point, you gotta srtick your hand up in the air and "take" the money that is floating around..your share is up there..it may be hard to get, but once you do....

My best advice would be this:

If its what you love to do and it feels uncomfortable and scary and exciting and anxiou s and all that to go break away from slavery ..then you know you are on the right track!!

im rushing here so i hope i communicated wqhat i wanted..i'll have to revisit later..

Great post Phats!!
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

1st one
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One, Panama, Unchained
    Last Online

06.17.10 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had my own home based business for a couple years now. I only work it part time, but do make good money at it, for as little as I work. (I have a full time job I'm not ready to give up yet.) My business partner makes great money, as it is her sole job & source of income. The products are great too! You can check it out here:

http://www.webspawner.com/users/beckijo or
    http://www.geocities.com/workfromhome_becki/

If interested, send me a PM and we can talk more!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    I can't add a whole lot to the above brilliant post, except to say that you have to be prepared for a pay-cut, for 6 months or so. To those of us to abhore tyranny, you will gladly work for less!

Put it out of your mind that you are working, and start creating. The hours are longer. I've got Q4 Retail taxes to add up all night, and the only break from that was today when I made a nice $600 profit. It takes time and energy, and a knack for networking people, but the old saying, "fake it till you make it" is exactly what happens.

Forget that you can do IT, or sell this or that. Deprogram yourself for a couple weeks. Go to the state office that handles business licenses and see what you need to get started. A FIEN is first, then a business checking account, some liability insurance, and whatever bond or contractor's license you need in your area of work, if it involves construction, etc.

Build it, and it will happen - just like Field of Dreams. I'm serious when I say this. Don't sweat the small stuff. You are too stressed right now, and I can feel it reading your words. You have a permanent headache, and your vocal chords are strained from keeping that 'nice' tone while you do support. You need a good 3 day bender, and a what-the-fuck attitude while you put it together. When you finally relax, your idea will come to you.

Write down a scope of services. Everything you know how to do on paper. Polish it. Put your logo at the top. Drive out into the world and start talking to people. Next thing you know, a printer will break, or some other networking need will just arise, while you are standing there. It's just your higher power giving you your daily bread. Learn to recognize it.

Working for other people sucks, and I will never do it again. My last boss cured me. I will live longer, and I know it. Somedays I work 14 hours, and some I work none. Depends on how I feel, and what I want to do. Also, it impresses chicks when you have a business card and drive a new Porsche, so use that as your goal to motivate you.

Whatever you do, now that you've got that taste of freedom on your tongue, you will either go postal at work, or use it as motivation to get started in anything you desire. The world is yours for the taking. Never forget that its your life, and this is the easiest country in the world to start a business!

Good luck.
    Ph@
    Nice post. Right now I'm trying to learn some things about the business world. I don't want my age to be a factor for why I'm not taken seriously. And it's not that I hate my job...I think I'm just searching for my passion. I can't see myself working for someone else forever. And I'll never go back to corporate IT...fuck that. It's nice to offer the services to other small-medium businesses. My only obsticle is competing against the two companies I worked for. I'm using IT though and I shouldn't. I guess it's because I know it rather well, but I need to be more open.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

I would love for my wife to be able to do something from home, seeing as how she can't work with a 1-year old. She wants to be a stay-at-home mom and I'm cool with that, but I'd like to come up with some home-based business she can maybe make an extra $500 a month or so. Man that would help.

I hear ya Pabs, I hate working for the man too, and of course I work in sales...advertising sales, but same basic idea. Selling is selling, it's a tough business man.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Hey Brett - Not exactly a home-based business..but my wife does these market researches...and sometimes for big bucks..Sometimes they are just surveys on products that you complete from your home computer, and sometimes you have to go and sit for an hour or two in a focus group. She made about 12 grand last year doing this stuff...not a huge amount of money, but certainly takes care of a car payment, and maybe the electric bill!

Anyway, I live in Illinois...not sure what you guys have out west.. a couple of the names of the firms are Smith Research and New Dimensions...not sure if those are national companies or what.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    I would love for my wife to be able to do something from home, seeing as how she can't work with a 1-year old. She wants to be a stay-at-home mom and I'm cool with that, but I'd like to come up with some home-based business she can maybe make an extra $500 a month or so. Man that would help.

I hear ya Pabs, I hate working for the man too, and of course I work in sales...advertising sales, but same basic idea. Selling is selling, it's a tough business man.
    What kind of stuff do you run into selling ad space? Don't people want to put their ads in the paper? What kind of rejection do you deal with, if any?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    What kind of stuff do you run into selling ad space? Don't people want to put their ads in the paper? What kind of rejection do you deal with, if any?
    Usually cost is the biggest issue, more than anything else.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Cost is the most common objection in sales...most of the time, however, that isnt really the primary concern..of course, there are those who strictly go by the dollars, but the best clients dont mind paying for value. Dont be afraid to vcharge money!
    its called perception of value..just think about it..in your mind, what car do you think has better quality..the $20,000 one or the $70,000 one? Just as a first impression?

PArt of the business im building includes the ability for others to pick it up for themselves as a home business. Does mrs.brett have a good speaking/sounding voice?
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    Usually cost is the biggest issue, more than anything else.
    Do you earn commission?