Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Marshall Power Brake with JCM 800

I have a Marshall JCM800 and was wondering if using a Marshall Power Brake would give me more gain. I never crank my JCM800 very loud because it's so powerful. I use a Sansamp distortion pedal to give the dirty channel more gain when soloing and it sounds great. I was just curious if the Power Brake would help me retain more of the Marsahll tone and boost my gain vs. using a Sansamp or any other type of distortion pedal. Comments or suggestions?
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

06.20.16 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is always a topic that will start a debate, but here I go: I've had the Marshall Power Brake, and I found it altered my tone way too much. I realize all attenuator/power soaks will do that to a certain degree, but from my research, I've found there are much better ones out there. I'm going to buy a Weber Minimass for my 50 watt SL-X head. It has treble compensator, and 'the MiniMASS employs an actual speaker motor for realistic interaction between the attenuator and the output circuit of the amplifier.' The quote is directly from the Weber website. I think it's the ticket for me. There's also the THD Hotplate and Dr. Z Airbrake. Mind you, these are quite pricey, but considering how much Marshall ones are, I think they would be worth it. Just my 2 cents.
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 11:41 AM
    Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

I've got the THD Hotplate, and now am officially happy with it. You have to be realistic though about what type of tone you're gonna get with it. At -16db your amp isn't gonna sound like EVH circa '81. You CAN get great tones out of it, but volume will always be the key for pushing a tube amp.
    Last edited by SuckaInA3Piece; 01.18.06 at 11:18 AM.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Good Enough

10.19.16 @ 05:12 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 74 Posts

I use the Weber Mass 100 with my 5150 and couldn't be happier. I don't use it to attenuate though. I take a line level off the Mass and run it into my solid state Marshall 1x12. I get all the tone of a cranked 5150 but at very low volumes if I want. I use the volume of the Mass combined with the volume of the Marshall combo, and there is a sweet spot that you can find with some fiddling, where everything sounds good at very low volumes. I also have a Pod xt in the loop of the 5150 for effects only. Here's my setup:

guitar>mxr phase 90>5150 head>Mass 100>line out to Marshall 1 x1 30 watt solid state combo>pod xt in the loop of the 5150

The post gains on my 5150 are set to 5.5. It works great, and the volume control on the Pod is another means of controlling your volume. My setup is really simple and I'm very happy with it. I did try using the Mass to attenuate the 5150 and had that running into my 4x12, but heavy attenuation just squashed the shit out of the tone, and it sounded terrible. If you want really low volumes, I'd try out my setup. If volume isn't much of an issue, then an attenuator can take some of the volume off without hurting your tone. Once you get more than 50% attenuation, I found the tone really started to suffer.