Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin

Is a whack-job...

New Orleans Mayor Apologizes for Divisive Comments
    Tuesday, January 17, 2006

NEW ORLEANS — New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said on Tuesday that if he could, he would take back some of the comments that he made during a Martin Luther King Day rally a day earlier.

"I used some analogies and probably didn't hit the mark on my message. But I never intended to offend anyone," Nagin told FOX News. Referring to his critics, he said, "I think if they look at the entire context of what I said, they'll understand the points I was trying to make."

Critics lashed out at Nagin, who said the violence and fighting after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita was the result of God's anger at the United States.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," said Nagin, while he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves," he said.

Nagin's speech at the rally also used a statement that God wanted New Orleans to be majority African-American.

"If I could take anything back, that's what I would take back," Nagin told FOX News. "That was a private conversation I had with a minister a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, and at the moment, that came forth."

The mayor said he was trying to comfort blacks by stressing that they are welcome in New Orleans. Nagin added that his comments stemmed from frustrations about violence and confusion about selected people being allowed back to the devastated city.

Nagin did not respond to comments he made saying that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

I wonder what would happen if a white mayor made those comments and wished that a city was more Martin and Lewis instead of Amos and Andy.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    Is a whack-job...

New Orleans Mayor Apologizes for Divisive Comments
    Tuesday, January 17, 2006

NEW ORLEANS — New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said on Tuesday that if he could, he would take back some of the comments that he made during a Martin Luther King Day rally a day earlier.

"I used some analogies and probably didn't hit the mark on my message. But I never intended to offend anyone," Nagin told FOX News. Referring to his critics, he said, "I think if they look at the entire context of what I said, they'll understand the points I was trying to make."

Critics lashed out at Nagin, who said the violence and fighting after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita was the result of God's anger at the United States.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," said Nagin, while he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves," he said.

Nagin's speech at the rally also used a statement that God wanted New Orleans to be majority African-American.

"If I could take anything back, that's what I would take back," Nagin told FOX News. "That was a private conversation I had with a minister a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, and at the moment, that came forth."

The mayor said he was trying to comfort blacks by stressing that they are welcome in New Orleans. Nagin added that his comments stemmed from frustrations about violence and confusion about selected people being allowed back to the devastated city.

Nagin did not respond to comments he made saying that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again.
    I didn't even read the post, but I can say, unequivocally, that Ray is a fool...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    I wonder what would happen if a white mayor made those comments and wished that a city was more Martin and Lewis instead of Amos and Andy.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard him on CNN say that New Orleans will be a majority BLACK city again! Had a white politician said that about a city naming WHITE as a skin color, all hell would break loose. Just goes to illustrate the lengths at which the poverty pimps will go to sell their racist agenda.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I can't understand why he's still in office.

Dear mortals:

There is no way ANY of us knows what "God wants". Get over yourselves.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well if this guy is any indication of the leadership in the state of Louisiana, it could explain a whole lot about the big mess they're in.

What an idiottt!!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin failed their constituents.

The city's evacuation plan states: "The city of New Orleans will utilize all available resources to quickly and safely evacuate threatened areas." But even though the city has enough school and transit buses to evacuate 12,000 citizens per fleet run, the mayor did not use them. To compound the problem, the buses were not moved to high ground and were flooded. The plan also states that "special arrangements will be made to evacuate persons unable to transport themselves or who require specific lifesaving assistance. Additional personnel will be recruited to assist in evacuation procedures as needed." This was not done.

The evacuation plan warned that "if an evacuation order is issued without the mechanisms needed to disseminate the information to the affected persons, then we face the possibility of having large numbers of people either stranded and left to the mercy of a storm, or left in an area impacted by toxic materials." That is precisely what happened because of the mayor's failure.

Instead of evacuating the people, the mayor ordered the refugees to the Superdome and Convention Center without adequate security and no provisions for food, water and sanitary conditions. As a result people died, and there was even rape committed, in these facilities. Mayor Nagin failed in his responsibility to provide public safety and to manage the orderly evacuation of the citizens of New Orleans. Now he wants to blame Gov. Blanco and the Federal Emergency Management Agency. In an emergency the first requirement is for the city's emergency center to be linked to the state emergency operations center. This was not done.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Failed their constituents???

What an understatement.

btw - after this, the public are no longer their constituents, they are superiors to these as you said - whack jobs.

Failed their constituents???

No shit.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

No lesson was learned after one year earlier, Sept 2004 - Hurricane Ivan:

Experts said Ivan could be worse.

More than 1.2 million people in metropolitan New Orleans were warned to get out Tuesday as 140-mph Hurricane Ivan churned toward the Gulf Coast, threatening to submerge this below-sea-level city in what could be the most disastrous storm to hit in nearly 40 years.

Nagin said he would "aggressively recommend" people evacuate, but that it would be difficult to order them to, because at least 100,000 in the city rely on public transportation and have no way to leave.

"They say evacuate, but they don't say how I'm supposed to do that," said Latonya Hill, 57, who lives on a disability check and money she picks up cleaning houses or baby sitting. "If I can't walk it or get there on the bus, I don't go. I don't got a car. My daughter don't either."

Despite the potential need for emergency housing, no shelters had been opened in the city as of Tuesday night. Nagin said the city was working on setting up a shelter of "last resort" and added that the Superdome might be used, but a spokesman for the stadium said earlier Tuesday that it was not equipped as a shelter.

In the case of Ivan, serious problems were caused by a lack of planning for a cataclysmic storm, yet with Katrina on the horizon, the lessons of Ivan were all but forgotten.

A feckless state governor and New Orleans' mayor repeated the same mistakes they made with Ivan, and hundreds of thousands of largely poor people were forced to endure conditions that one associates with the Third World - not the richest nation on the planet.

The disaster in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina will come as no surprise to those who recall a September 19, 2004 Associated Press report.

Wrote the AP: "Those who had the money to flee Hurricane Ivan ran into hours-long traffic jams. Those too poor to leave the city had to find their own shelter - a policy that was eventually reversed, but only a few hours before the deadly storm struck land."

Eventually, tens of thousands of New Orleanans were directed to the Superdome - where no food, water or living facilities were provided for the massive number of refugees expected to remain there for at least several days. Fortunately few arrived.

Noted the AP then: "New Orleans dodged the knockout punch many feared from the hurricane, but the storm exposed what some say are significant flaws in the Big Easy's civil disaster plans."

Noting that much of the city lies below sea level, only kept dry by a system of pumps and levees, the AP recalled that as Hurricane Ivan approached the Gulf coast from the Gulf of Mexico, the city - warned by forecasters that a direct hit could send torrents of Mississippi River backwash over the city's levees, creating a 20-foot-deep cesspool of human and industrial waste - urged more than a million people to flee the wrath of the oncoming storm.

But nobody told them how to flee Ivan.

As happened before Katrina struck, residents who had cars took to the highways while the AP reported others wondered what to do.

"'If the government asks people to evacuate, the government has some responsibility to provide an option for those people who can't evacuate and are at the whim of Mother Nature,'" Joe Cook of the New Orleans ACLU told the AP.

In the case of Katrina, there was huge fleet of school buses the mayor could have dispatched to aid in evacuating people unable to leave on their own. Instead, the buses sat in parking lots that later flooded, making them unusable when tens of thousands were stranded in the flooded city.

Dealing with safeguarding the city's population had always been a problem, the AP recalled, adding that the situation was worse at the time of Ivan since the Red Cross had stopped providing shelters in New Orleans for hurricanes rated above Category 2. Stronger hurricanes were deemed too dangerous, and Ivan was a much more powerful Category 4.

In the case of Ivan, city officials first said they would provide no shelter, then just as they later did with Katrina, they agreed that the state-owned Louisiana Superdome would open to those with special medical needs. Only Wednesday afternoon - with Ivan just hours away - did the city open the 20-story-high domed stadium to the public.

Mayor Ray Nagin's spokeswoman, Tanzie Jones, insisted that there was no reluctance at City Hall to open the Superdome as Ivan approached, but said the evacuation was the top priority.

"Our main focus is to get the people out of the city," she told the AP.

"We did the compassionate thing by opening the shelter," Nagin said. "We wanted to make sure we didn't have a repeat performance of what happened before. We didn't want to see people cooped up in the Superdome for days."

Noted the AP story: "When another dangerous hurricane, Georges, appeared headed for the city in 1998, the Superdome was opened as a shelter and an estimated 14,000 people poured in." But just as happened after Katrina, the AP reported there were problems, including theft and vandalism.

With Ivan approaching, far fewer took refuge from the storm - an estimated 1,100 - at the Superdome, and there was far greater security: 300 National Guardsmen.

Wrote the AP of the Ivan debacle: "The main safety measure - getting people out of town - raised its own problems. More than 1 million people tried to leave the city and surrounding suburbs on Tuesday, creating a traffic jam as bad as or worse than the evacuation that followed Georges. In the afternoon, state police took action, reversing inbound lanes on southeastern Louisiana interstates to provide more escape routes. Bottlenecks persisted, however.

"Col. Henry Whitehorn, head of state police, said he believed his agency acted appropriately, but also acknowledged he never expected a seven-hour-long crawl for the 60 miles between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

"It was so bad that some broadcasters were telling people to stay home, that they had missed their window of opportunity to leave. They claimed the interstates had turned into parking lots where trapped people could die in a storm surge.

"Gov. Kathleen Blanco and [Mayor] Nagin both acknowledged the need to improve traffic flow and said state police should consider reversing highway lanes earlier. They also promised meetings with governments in neighboring localities and state transportation officials to improve evacuation plans.

But it appears that nothing had been changed by the time Katrina made its appearance in the Gulf.

After Ivan, Blanco and other state officials boasted that, while irritating, the clogged escape routes got people out of the most vulnerable areas.

"We were able to get people out," state Commissioner of Administration Jerry Luke LeBlanc said. "It was successful. There was frustration, yes. But we got people out of harm's way."

After Katrina struck, however, escape routes out of the city were clogged with bumper-to-bumper traffic, leaving some motorists on the road when the Hurricane arrived.

A new photo from AP shows a huge fleet of school buses lined up in a now flooded parking lot - what appears to be enough transportation sufficient to have evacuated many of those stranded in the city and left to endure unimaginable conditions - transportation that the mayor failed to use when there was still time to use it.

The lessons of Ivan were never learned, and the people of New Orleans paid the price.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

With a little luck, some will pay politically as well.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Default OOOmpa Loompa dooopity DUNCE

Quote Originally Posted by voivod

OOOHHHH a chocolate city, I can't wait!!!!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw

OOOHHHH a chocolate city, I can't wait!!!!

that is hilarious

And all da widdle white people will be my oompa-loompa's

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mistere
    I can't understand why he's still in office.

Dear mortals:

There is no way ANY of us knows what "God wants". Get over yourselves.
    What God wants, God gets. God help us all.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Dumbass........ How come he is still even in office and not run out of town?
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

To say Louisiana politics and the so called leaders are screwed up is an understatement. This from the state where there was a run off between a known crooked governor, who is now in jail, and a former KKK grand wizard/marshall/grand poomba or whatever the hell they are called. Surprisingly, the crook won. At least we don't have a bad actor as a governor.

Yes, Nagin is a plug. He made some other comments that didn't quite make it to the mainstream. There was a parade where some shots were fired and persons were injured. Nagin, instead of using this time to focus efforts to find the criminals or something positive like that, referred to the shooters as "numbskulls" and then went on some rant about God and black people and hurting each other. Loved his chocolate comments btw.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!