Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Default The IPod Killer?

I don't know how many of you guys have IPods or MP3 players in general, however XM recently released news of their new "XM2GO" radios, which includes:

* Live XM Satellite Radio on the go, in the car, or at home
    * Flash memory for MP3 files, WMA files, and XM content; Samsung Helix can store up to 50 hours of XM programming.
    * Color display screen
    * Easy-to-use interface, which lets users save and delete content, create personal playlists, and find and play back their favorite songs
    * XM + Napster feature that allows users to bookmark the names of songs heard on XM, connect the Samsung Helix player to the PC, and purchase the bookmarked tracks instantly from the XM + Napster online service.
    * The ability to store XM content by song, by channel, or by scheduled session
    * Ability to create unique playlists with a mix of XM content and personal music collection
    * Enhanced storage features, which allow more recording sessions at various times, as well a memory buffer for "catching" the beginning of a song
    * Customizable stock ticker and sports ticker
    * Category list for saving and accessing favorite channels
    * TuneSelect, which alerts the listener to a favorite artist or song whenever it is played on any XM channel
    * Integrated, wireless FM transmitter for beaming XM to any FM radio frequency.

I certainlly will get this, I am curious to see if there are other linkers who would maybe go for it to...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have this now!

S50

http://www.sirius.com/gs/s50/

This thing is the shit, but I still love my Ipod. I will always have an Ipod. I donít think anything will Kill the Ipod.
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Unless it can deliver content when the user wants it, it'll fail. It's no different than satellite radio in that regard. The moment something better than an iPod comes out, I'll be all over it. Until then though, I'll just keep shoveling money to Apple.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    Unless it can deliver content when the user wants it, it'll fail. It's no different than satellite radio in that regard. The moment something better than an iPod comes out, I'll be all over it. Until then though, I'll just keep shoveling money to Apple.
    I am just curious what type of content do you mean? I have yet to get an IPod, and most likely will not get one. However, with it being live on the go (unlike the Sirius S50) and access to MP3's, it does seem to have a one up on the IPod. I know with my MyFi, (and I am sure with AJHV's S50) I have saved all sorts of music on my MyFi without having to purchase it online for .99 a song. Plus I have a whole wide array of music that I have been exposed to. I will say though, with the IPod it should be very interesting to see how it pans out with IPod, XM, and Sirius.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

To how I see things, the content delivery method matters much more than most people realized. If satellite radio could allow me to listen to exactly what I want when I want, I'd be all over it. Is there more variety with it? Sure. Is there more content? Sure. Is it still pre-programmed to someone else's schedule/desires? Sure.

I probably listen to 2-3 hours of talk radio some days, but other days I listen to none. I almost never listen live, because time-shifting is just such a liberating concept. My listening is a mix between the computer and the iPod.

Here are my goals: Not having to futz with programming anything or recording anything--I want automatic, transparent delivery. Never hearing the same show twice, unless I want to. Being able to collect an enormous library of content, and having it well organized--being able to find what I want is really important.

Podcasts, iTunes, and the iPod combine to deliver all of that. I've got thousands of hours of my favorite programs at my finger tips. The odds of ever being able to listen to it all are pretty low, but over the course of lifetime I might come close. The interface is slick--really slick. Apple has brought all of this together in such a powerful, simple way. The simplicity masks a lot of the power. I'd imagine most iPod owners don't know half of what they can do with their devices.

The products in this thread are only components to a system. There's little that binds the functions together. That's where the power and elegance is found.

Bostonian, would it appeal to you to have any O&A show over the course of the last few years at your fingertips? I could get my Phil Hendrie fix over XM, and even do some limited time-shifting with these devices. I imagine the costs would probably be a wash, but I don't think the functionality or the flexibility would come anywhere near what Apple offers. There are some really great MP3 players out there that offer more features than the iPod. Some would say that makes them a better buy, but that sort of thinking doesn't begin to grasp just how revolutionary the iTunes/iPod synergy is. Nobody else has figured out that other piece of the puzzle just yet, which is kind of amazing to me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

This looks cool and I enjoy my Sirius radio...However, won't this thing have the same signal acquisition problems that Sirius and XM sometimes have? It's a great concept, but I'm not buying this if I can't get a signal in my gym or other parts of town...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

To how I see things, the content delivery method matters much more than most people realized. If satellite radio could allow me to listen to exactly what I want when I want, I'd be all over it. Is there more variety with it? Sure. Is there more content? Sure. Is it still pre-programmed to someone else's schedule/desires? Sure.
    Very good point, however somehow that statement reminded me of the scene from Space Balls where are are combing through the old video tape to get to "now." Unforunately you will have times when Live broadcasting is just that live. I do agree though that delivery is very important, and the idea of of having something right there at your finger tips is great.

I probably listen to 2-3 hours of talk radio some days, but other days I listen to none. I almost never listen live, because time-shifting is just such a liberating concept. My listening is a mix between the computer and the iPod.
    I listen to most of Opie and Anthony's show (no surprise) on a daily basis, and then go right into Ron and Fez. And while I do like the idea of time-shifting, and it is a liberal concept... I do like the interactiveness of a live show. Whether it is sports talk, talk talk, or even music talk. I feel the whole interactive aspect of any talk show is important to the medium in general. Anything pre-packaged in that sense, I just well don't particularly like. I will admit though i do catch OnA on the replays for stuff I did miss, while at the same I crank out the zillion VH MP3's on my computer, I don't think you will see any replacements of MP3's in the near future, but there is something to be said of a live broadcast.

Here are my goals: Not having to futz with programming anything or recording anything--I want automatic, transparent delivery. Never hearing the same show twice, unless I want to. Being able to collect an enormous library of content, and having it well organized--being able to find what I want is really important.
    Again I think this is an important feature, and I do think that both Sirius and XM are addressing (with the S50 and XM2GO units). I will make no bones about it, I love the MP3's I have on my computer. I have a bunch of rare content that I cannot find anywhere (like my beloved U2 in Tel Aviv). Yet there is still something about listening to the radio and hearing your favorite band come on and getting that feeling of wow.

Podcasts, iTunes, and the iPod combine to deliver all of that. I've got thousands of hours of my favorite programs at my finger tips. The odds of ever being able to listen to it all are pretty low, but over the course of lifetime I might come close. The interface is slick--really slick. Apple has brought all of this together in such a powerful, simple way. The simplicity masks a lot of the power. I'd imagine most iPod owners don't know half of what they can do with their devices.
    I will give apple major kudos on the slick interface... but again the major weakness is the inability for live content.

The products in this thread are only components to a system. There's little that binds the functions together. That's where the power and elegance is found.

Bostonian, would it appeal to you to have any O&A show over the course of the last few years at your fingertips? I could get my Phil Hendrie fix over XM, and even do some limited time-shifting with these devices. I imagine the costs would probably be a wash, but I don't think the functionality or the flexibility would come anywhere near what Apple offers. There are some really great MP3 players out there that offer more features than the iPod. Some would say that makes them a better buy, but that sort of thinking doesn't begin to grasp just how revolutionary the iTunes/iPod synergy is. Nobody else has figured out that other piece of the puzzle just yet, which is kind of amazing to me.
    Well with the exception of the video you can get on IPod, it is pretty much I feel the IPod killer. As for O&A having downloadable shows, it is out there now on audible.com. Also, there are other websites where you can get the old shows too. But as I said before the lack of being able to get live content when you want is a major detracter. I do see a convergence of the technologies though, and before you know it you will MP3, Satellite Radio, and Telephone all in one nice neat package.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gimme something that integrates a good phone with the concept of the iPod
    and I'm all over it. Anything that will liberate me from having to keep
    track of two little black boxes everywhere I go. Or maybe just a utility belt...

Last Online

01.26.12 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Radio should be free, and nothing will ever replace the iPod--unless it's another iPod.
    "There is no racial bigotry here...Each of you is equally worthless!" --Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, Full Metal Jacket

"I'm not a rock star, I'm a musician. And I'll be damned if someone is gonna tell me what comes through me is not what they expected." -Eddie Van Halen

"I tell ya, I've been doing this for about 20 years now, and I still haven't figured out which is the right drumstick and which is the left drumstick." -Alex Van Halen

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anubis72
    Radio should be free, and nothing will ever replace the iPod--unless it's another iPod.
    Off-topic, but anubis, do you ever listen to 102.3 now that they have changed format? It's fully automated (no DJ), and there is only one short commercial break per hour.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

People often don't go with the "best" technology.

iPod fears no killer.

.......and I think the Samsung unit is sweet. I look forward to that over the Pioneer based on the display alone.

As far as not getting reception.....well, that's why they let you store your content.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

But if you can't receive it, you can't record it. It's a flawed concept. If there are places I can't go because I won't get my content or if I'm tied to the battery life of a portable device, what exactly have I accomplished?

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    People often don't go with the "best" technology.

iPod fears no killer.

.......and I think the Samsung unit is sweet. I look forward to that over the Pioneer based on the display alone.

As far as not getting reception.....well, that's why they let you store your content.
    Well of course there are places you will not be able to get reception, however the new antenna will solve a lot of those problems. I know with my MyFi I get excellent reception outside, and inside... However it does cut out in certain places, it will just further improve a great product.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

But if you can't receive it, you can't record it. It's a flawed concept. If there are places I can't go because I won't get my content or if I'm tied to the battery life of a portable device, what exactly have I accomplished?
    Couldn't you just store your MP3s on this unit, in the rare instance you can't receive a signal?

I know with the S50 (Sirius) you can actually record TWO stations at once while listening to your stored music.

I dunno........It's not an iPod "killer", either way.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

With the S50, you can't get a signal if it's not in the cradle. All you're really getting is a mediocre MP3 player that sometimes acts as a satellite receiver. If you can't get a signal, you miss out on the content.

I think one of the best parts about talk radio via podcast is the lack of commercials. A one hour radio show turns out to be about 38 minutes without all of that.