Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Airplane Mechanic Sucked Into Jet Engine, Killed

Airplane Mechanic Sucked Into Jet Engine, Killed at El Paso Airport
    FOX News/AP ^ | January 16, 2006

Airplane Mechanic Sucked Into Jet Engine, Killed at El Paso Airport

Monday, January 16, 2006

EL PASO, Texas — An airplane mechanic was killed Monday morning after he was sucked into a jet's engine while passengers were boarding from the tarmac, officials said.

"A mechanic walked in front of the engine and was pulled into the engine," National Transportation Safety Board spokeswoman Lauren Peduzzi said.

She said she didn't know if any passengers saw the accident as they boarded Continental Airlines flight 1515 to Houston. A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said the worker was sucked into the right engine of the 737-500.

The mechanic's identity wasn't released, but Continental identified the victim as an employee of one of Continental's suppliers. Continental released few other details about what it called a "ground incident" at El Paso International Airport.

"My fellow co-workers and I extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of the mechanic involved in this tragic event," Larry Kellner, Continental chairman and CEO, said in a statement.

There were 114 passengers and five crew members boarding the plane.

Peduzzi said there had been an earlier problem with the Number 2 engine, so the engine's metal covering was open at the time of the accident.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

OUCH!!!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That sucks.

(Just saving someone else from saying it first.)
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:03 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I heard that this morning on the radio. Reminded me of the guy getting sucked into the engine near the end of Die Hard 2.

I'm sure it was quite painless or very short-lived (no pun intended), but I wouldn't like to find out personally...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Ouch is right. The funny thing is that the engine is probably still in perfect working order.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dunno about the engine still being in perfect working order....you hear stories of passenger flights being downed by Seagulls in the engine.

Scary stuff...
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts

I work on jet engines on KC-135s in the Air National Guard: CFM56 Turbofans made by General Electric. I am almost 6' and I can stand up in the intake. They are no joke. Typically there is a run fence in front on a running engine during mainteneance, about 10' I am guessing and you can still feel the engine pulling on clothes or anything not attached thoroughly. However, I am usually never on the flight line during takeoff. These engines require very little other than preventive maintenance. The exception is FOD (Foreign Object Damage). They typically chew up small birds, but while stationed in New Hampshire, I saw one ingest a wild turkey and it did extensive damage, including bending the strut. So, I am sure this particular engine is not in working order.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts

Received this from my Air National Guad unit yesterday:

[size=2]A first hand account of the incident the other day in El Paso, TX. An Aircraft Technician (Contract MX) was sucked into one of our engines during a high-power run.

Just a harsh reminder that as a whole (techs), we don't respect these machines enough. I'm not by any means throwing stones at this guy ...believe me I'm not!!

But, all it takes is a second of tunnel vision, and any of us could be in a situation that we may never be able to talk about again.

Just be careful out there.

There are 2 pics attached. They are zipped for those of you who might not want to view them. Delete as necessary.

==========================

We happened to arrive into El Paso shortly after the accident had occurred. As we're taxiing into the FBO I noticed over at the terminal was 10-15 fire trucks, police cars, airport vehicles all surrounding a Continental plane at the gate.

We couldn't figure out what was going on, so when we got out we asked the lineman if he knew anything. He told us "one of the mechanics got sucked into the turbine and theres nothing left of him."

One of the lineman who drove us to lunch was telling us that he'd been standing about 15 feet from the guy when he got sucked in. He said it appears that the guys hat blew off, and when he went to reach for it he got caught in the suction of the intake and in the blink of an eye he disappeared. Said he probably never knew what hit him. He said the engine then made a series of loud explosions and then shut down. He said there was very little remains left of the victim, and what was left had been shot all the way out across the ramp and out to the adjoining taxiway. He said it was a very gruesome sight.

What I gathered about the unfortunate gentleman was that he was in his early 60's, had four children, and didn't work for Continental, but worked for a mechanic shop next to the FBO. All the employees of the FBO knew him well and were visibly shaken up and upset over the ordeal. The terrible part is that he had only been over there helping because he didn't have any work to do that morning, so he thought he'd go over and lend them a hand - something he'd do from time to time.

Please remember this guys family and keep them in your prayers during this hard time. And also remember, we're never guaranteed tomorrow. This guy woke up on just another Monday morning, ate breakfast, got dressed, went to work like all the rest of us do. In the blink of an eye, his life was over. This could have been any of us today, and you should never take every day you have for granted.

Be careful out there.