Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Default EVH on Randy Rhoads

Check this out ,

http://www.nobitching.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3088

I love Randys playing but some of his hardcore fans hold a grudge.

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Randy was a great guitar player and i will never be a pimple on his ass, but his tone to me was just really horrible. So sue me!

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I thought he copied Ed a little, but so what? he made his own contributions...and he was just getting started.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Liked 572 Times in 313 Posts

Donor

I remember reading an interview where Randy gave Eddie some respect and credit for influencing him.

Just because someone influenced you doesn't mean you don't have your own style and influence, too.

Some of the people on that thread seem like they just go out of their way to find something to be pissed off over some perceived slight to their hero.

Geez, some of Randy's playing WAS like Eddie's....that can't even be logically disputed. So is the case with many other guitarists.
    What's the big deal? Maybe Eddie really copied some dude's licks at a freaking guitar shop...and that guy never got popular because he couldn't write good songs.....who knows?
    But it doesn't matter; Eddie was the first person that most people heard play like he does, the first one that hit it big, and therefore he gets the credit of pioneering that style.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love Randy but I think Ed was a better player by far. Randy had a lot of practice under his belt and he played great but Ed sits on a pile of raw talent that Randy never had. Rhoads was a very smart player who knew a lot of theory and how to practice, but Ed played from the waist.

I can play Randy solos but have much more trouble with EVH solos. I've heard people say Randy could play Ed's stuff but Ed couldn't play Randy's. I really think it's the opposite.

However, Ed's a jerk in his interviews about Randy. He needs to learn to shut up. He shouldn't be allowed to speak outside of the privacy of his own home.

He's not a smart man at all but damn can he play a guitar.

Last Online

09.21.06 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well Ed hasn't done much speaking (or playing) in the last decade or so. On the rare occasion that he does speak, It's usually psychological babble about taking control, or whatever.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

well I only saw Randy play during one of his last shows with Ozzy before the accident. and the sounds that came from guy's guitar were amazing. i was especially surprised b/c he was kinda a little guy with big white platform boots, but his playing was overwhelming.

Just great playing. One wonders what might've been.

RIP - Randy Rhoads
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

05.17.07 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brianVH
    Well Ed hasn't done much speaking (or playing) in the last decade or so. On the rare occasion that he does speak, It's usually psychological babble about taking control, or whatever.

Or a response like he better being wearing a cup!!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

The old Ed vs. Randy debate...

They are my 2 favorites without a doubt, and the reason I ever picked up a guitar.

I think Ed is referring to Randy's playing during the Quiet Riot days when they opened up for VH. His later stuff with Ozzy really doesn't sound anything like Ed. Maybe to the casual listener, but to a guitar player, they don't sound the same at all. I do feel that Ed has more natural talent than Randy had, but Randy's playing in the later days was more refined.

Ed improvised his solo's, Randy put his together in pieces like a composer.

Ed's playing has pretty much always been at the same high level since VH1, Randy came a LONG way from his Quiet Riot days in a short period of time. Listen to the outro solo on "Tonight" from Dairy, some of his best playing is almost inaudible...such a shame.

I didn't really see anything demeaning in the interview. Ed has always thought guys copped his style. I really don't think Randy did though... Totally different look, and style. I've never heard Ed use harmonic minor or diminished arpeggios in his playing. I've never heard Randy come up with something like "Cathederal".

2 awesome players... Where would we be without them.......
    The pilot was "coked-ep" as Eddie inferred, but the only thing Randy had in his system was nicotine.

I had the pleasure of hanging out with Rudy Sarzo before a bass clinic many years ago. He said Ed, Randy, and George were the 3 best LA guys from that era without a doubt. He also said that Randy was getting better every single day, and his playing was amazing the weeks leading up to his death.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed shred
    Randy was a great guitar player and i will never be a pimple on his ass, but his tone to me was just really horrible. So sue me!
    I agree, whole heartedly.

Although if you buy "Quiet Riot: The Randy Rhodes years", his tone is much better. Good CD too.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

From the, WTF department.

"to me, the EVH stuff has dated badly. Randy's material still astounds 25 years later."

I dont know who this clown is, but not sure how you can conclude ed's stuff is dated.
    Dealing with it.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.20.07 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Randy was much more structured and methodical.
    Ed is more of a "in the moment player"

Other than that theres no reason to compare greatness.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

There is one thing both Ed & Randy share and both brought into the world of hard rock/metal... both were classically trained in music before their rock days. Both introduced compositional style and modes taken from Bach and Pagini then infused that into heavily distorted rock guitar.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,809 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Well both Eddie and Randy are my two favorite guitar players. I have posted over at that Randy board about how great Eddie is so I will post here how great Randy is/was.

He had the chops during the Quiet Riot years however they were trying to be a pop metal band thus the solo's were subdued. I have videos of him playing his spotlight guitar solo during the QR days and about 75%, he played on Tribute. He also played Dee and did do an echo thing somewhat like Cathedral. Not as intense but using the slapback of notes to construct a melody.

His tone might have not been the Brown Sound but on Diary he had a much better tone. He may have been the first guitarist to scoop his mids so you can attribute that to him. I read that in some mag....cannot remember which one

As far as songwriting, well you can't diss the guy. Crazy Train for one is a standout track that will be remembered for all time. Plus he really shined in softer moments like Goodbye To Romance, Revelation Mother Earth and Diary Of a Madman. As much as I love Eddie, he could not do something like that.

I look at him as the middle man between Eddie and Yngwie yet had he lived Yngwie may not have had the impact. During the last shows, he started to have a solo jam with the band which sounds like it was off of Rising Force. However it was 2 years before Yngwie.

Anyway of all the guitarists who have died prematurely, I am most saddened by his loss. He did not screw 3 or 4 years with drugs and alcohol like Hendrix or SRV. He was getting better and not resting on his laurels. He had it all yet wanted to get better.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    well I only saw Randy play during one of his last shows with Ozzy before the accident. and the sounds that came from guy's guitar were amazing. i was especially surprised b/c he was kinda a little guy with big white platform boots, but his playing was overwhelming.

Just great playing. One wonders what might've been.

RIP - Randy Rhoads
    I agree! I also wonder what kind of stuff Randy could have put out had he not died at such an early age
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!