Register
    Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default What's the deal with Fender Squire guitars?

Just curious about these guitars. My thought is that they aren't very good, but Fender makes them so can they be that bad?
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I recommend them as a starter guitar, they are good enough to not frustrate a begginer. and priced very fair for what they are.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Getting the "it's a matter of taste" caveat out of the way, think of Fenders like Chevy cars. The Squier is the Cavalier. The American Series is the Corvette.

Squiers are a good low cost entry-level instrument. Cheap woods, cheap hardware and pickups, but good looks.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Probably the perfect starter guitar in terms of cost, attractiveness and quality. I'd recommend one to any beginner.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just restrung my old Squier Protone Fat Strat. It's not a bad guitar at all and it looks killer. Squier doesn't have the reputation that say Epiphone has, but they make a good value instrument. My main guitar is still my Gibson Les Paul Studio, but it only wins because of very subtle things. A beginner would never notice.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I just bought a Squier 51 about a month ago...best $150 guitar around!! Killer looks, decent sound, great playability and lots of tonal options. I'm goiing to replace the pickups soon, with a single coil vintage noiseless in the neck, and a Duncan '59 in the bridge, should sound and look killer. Great guitar for the price!!

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JumpTheHotTeacher
    Just curious about these guitars. My thought is that they aren't very good, but Fender makes them so can they be that bad?
    If your gonna get a squire that you might as well get a mexican standard strat. the woods are better and it says fender on the neck. later on you can put better pickups in it and make a decent guitar. It has american hardware so its almost american.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Default And I thought I was the ONLY one

LOL...I have had a Squire for the last 10 years. The only guitar I have ever owned. My theory is that people that can't play usually go out and buy the expensive guitar thinking it is going to make them better, but a good guitarist can sound amazing on ANY guitar.

Basically, when I have enough money, I'm buying a Frankenstrat replica, but until then, I'm rocking out on my Fender Squire and Crate POS amp. As for those of you have never head of the POS series, it is quite a piece of work with a beautiful tin sound to anything played on it.

But seriously, how many times have you seen someone with an amazing guitar that absolutely sucks at playing it?? I like to reverse that stereotype by being good on a shitty guitar. That's my shtick and I'm sticking to it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Absolutely True

I normally gigged with a $1200 Wolfgang I bought in 1998, needed a backup guitar, bought a 2000 Year Model Stagemaster Squire HSS for $299.

I potted the cheap pickups, block the floyd rose tremelo, and set the action to my liking.

Best guitar I've every owned. Love my Wolfgang, but if you want a diverse sounding guitar that you don't mind getting beat up at gigs...you can't go wrong.

Like this guy said about seeing people playing expensive guitars....I'm always amazed at guys playing $3500 Les Pauls and sounding like crap, and coming up to me and asking my why my guitar sounds so good. It's all in the hands...plus a few minor mods don't hurt ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4
    LOL...I have had a Squire for the last 10 years. The only guitar I have ever owned. My theory is that people that can't play usually go out and buy the expensive guitar thinking it is going to make them better, but a good guitarist can sound amazing on ANY guitar.

Basically, when I have enough money, I'm buying a Frankenstrat replica, but until then, I'm rocking out on my Fender Squire and Crate POS amp. As for those of you have never head of the POS series, it is quite a piece of work with a beautiful tin sound to anything played on it.

But seriously, how many times have you seen someone with an amazing guitar that absolutely sucks at playing it?? I like to reverse that stereotype by being good on a shitty guitar. That's my shtick and I'm sticking to it.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Like even the AMerican and Mexican Strats... take a dozen and you'll find one that plays and sounds great. I've played some Squiers that put $1200 American strats to shame. I'll hold up my Mexican Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex strat up against any American made in the whole lineup. It just boils down to the slab of wood of the body and the neck... helps if the electronics work to spec... but there is such a huge variance in a group of guitars it's amazing. You can get a great axe from the cheapies and a total piece of shit from the top of the line...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Song

Everbody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

06.24.12 @ 06:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 2 cents..........

As a beginner to intermediate player, I went through the same thing. I had played acoustic for years and wanted an electric. Went out and bought the Fender Strat Pack (which includes a Squire Strat) without much research. I never really liked it because of the 3 single coil pickups - tough to get the sound I wanted with the Frontman 15G amp and single coils.

I sold it and after doing a lot of research ended up buying the OLP MM1 and Fender GDEC. Definitely more money than the Strat Pak but still cheap in comparison to what many others around here have. IMHO you can't beat the OLP for the money.