Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Default Opinion: Eddie Vs. Sammy Vs. Guitar Playing

Here's a thought I've always pondered over. Back in '86, there's a few clips of Eddie and Alex discussing Sammy joining the band. Alex says that one of the benefits of having Sammy is that he plays guitar. Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought I remember reading somewhere that "Finish What Ya Started'' is the only studio track he played on? Do you think there was an inner struggle for guitar playing? Notice Sammy rarely played guitar live, unless his solo material or Love Walks In... or in the studio? Wassup with dat ?

Discuss.. Tawk amoungst yourselves. Haha.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I don't think it was an ego thing or fights about it or anything. I just think Eddie started to become more of a songwriter and it kind of went the keyboards/melodic route. I also think Eddie just couldn't get use to the idea of second guitarist in the same vane he was blown away by and had a tough time getting used to overdubbing on the early VH records.

Would have been interesting if they had Eddie and Sammy rip on guitar on some tracks and focused more on guitar. Definitely would have been heavier. I always loved There's Only One Way in concert. Maybe we would have heard more tunes with that influence if Sammy and Eddie were both unleashed. Hard to rip on the end result though.

Favorite VH Album

OU812, 1984, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sammy also played guitar on A Political Blues as well as Finish What Ya Started. Ed and Alex probably were glad that Sammy could play guitar basically for the reason that most of the songs Ed was writing involved keyboards. I'm not sure if this is true but I remember hearing that Eddie had to play the guitar solo to Jump on keyboard because Dave obviously couldn't play the solo. Anyways they probably were happy that Sammy could play guitar especially when they played songs live.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyoneFtfty
    Here's a thought I've always pondered over. Back in '86, there's a few clips of Eddie and Alex discussing Sammy joining the band. Alex says that one of the benefits of having Sammy is that he plays guitar. Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought I remember reading somewhere that "Finish What Ya Started'' is the only studio track he played on? Do you think there was an inner struggle for guitar playing? Notice Sammy rarely played guitar live, unless his solo material or Love Walks In... or in the studio? Wassup with dat ?

That's an interesting question. I'm sure that many people agree that one of the highlights of LWAN was the guitar dueling between Ed and Sam. I don't know why they got away from that. You never really saw Sam with a guitar in his hand after the initial tour.

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OU812fan
    I'm not sure if this is true but I remember hearing that Eddie had to play the guitar solo to Jump on keyboard because Dave obviously couldn't play the solo. :

Durning the 1984 tour, Mikey was playing keys with Eddie on stage, (Jump & I'll Wait) specifically so Eddie could do his solo. Quite an interesting sight!
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:44 AM
    Liked 1,886 Times in 1,103 Posts

I would have loved to hear Sam play more guitar on VH records, he's pretty good and can play with alot of feeling, check out the solo in Who Has the Right-awsome.

I think Sam said Ed was soo much better than he is that he'd rather just let Ed play what Ed writes because Sammy could never learn Ed's stuff.