Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Van Halen Doesn't Sell Out And I Commend Them

Hey All,

Listen, I know that I am going to get killed for saying this - but I commend Van Halen for not giving in to pressure from fans or Warner Brothers to hook up with DLR. It does take a lot of guts to not do what probably would make you most successful for whatever reason. I absolutely respect that.

If it's Sammy Hagar or another vocalist, Van Halen want to do it on their terms (eventually) and I truly have to tip my hat to that. Other bands have and do get back together from pressure from fans or the label and ultimately it becomes a mess personality wise and usually they break up again.

You have to give credit to bands that don't go for the easy way out. Skid Row could easily hire back Sabastian Bach and maybe achieve some success, but Skid Row doesn't want anything to do with Bach and they have chosen to go with Johnny Solinger. They want to stick with him.

If you go to John Kalodner's website (A&R Legend) - he constantly says that he is trying to get David Coverdale and John Sykes together. Sykes is more willing, but Coverdale will have nothing to do with it. Even though Kalodner has promised a record deal with a big label if this version of Whitesnake gets together. Otherwise, Whitesnake has not been making new albums.

I just think that it's a good thing that a band stand by whatever decision they make - even if it's a decision that may not prove overly successful or popular. They have their reasons and I can respect that.
    Last edited by hey man; 01.13.06 at 12:30 PM.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Vh has tried it already 2 or 3 times with DLR, but they broke up b4 it could ever come to be. Also, some might consider that pepsi commercial a few years back with the Right Now song...selling out.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Againstthewind,

Well that is not what I am talking about. One could say that Van Halen sold out with the cover songs on Diver Down or I'll Wait on 1984. I am talking about the ultimate sell out - doing something that you don't want to do, because of fan or label pressure. I suspect they wanted to do the Pepsi commericial, etc.

Yes I know they have tried again with DLR a few times - but I am sure that it was Van Halen that pulled the plug and not DLR. Thus, my point is still maintained.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

I know nobody probably really knows what goes on behind the scenes but, didn't VH cave into label pressure when they dumped Gary Cherone? Wasn't the story that Ed and Al wanted to keep Cherone and began work on a 2nd album but WB coerced them into firing him and trying to reunite with Dave or Sam?

No offense, but I think you look for any opportunity to celebrate DLR not being back with VH. If Dave's not your cup of tea, that's cool, but it seems you go to extraordinary lengths to make that point.

It seems to me that all VH has really done is to not be able to get along with Dave. They certainly have made numerous efforts to do so. All that you're celebrating is that VH has not felt a gun to their head to work with Dave again.

Do you honestly believe that if Ed and Alex woke up tomorrow to find that someone had run off with all their money, DLR would not be the first or second call they made?

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    Do you honestly believe that if Ed and Alex woke up tomorrow to find that someone had run off with all their money, DLR would not be the first or second call they made?
    I Believe!!!!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Menlow,

You have to understand - I really became a fan of Van Halen during the Sammy years, because I was already a Sammy fan having bought Standing Hampton and others at time of release. I loved Van Halen musically, but couldn't really get into Roth. I need equally strong vocals along with the guitars. I could care less what DLR brought to the band live.

Having said that, I actually really love DLR solo and have all his good albums. But to me, the band Van Halen require a vocalist that can really sing - as I feel that Van Halen had the best guitarist, drummer and bassist. I supported Gary Cherone and Eric Martin (as he was mentioned a couple of times as trying out).

I truly believe that Eddie and Alex believed that Gary Cherone was not right for the band from the point of view from the fans, but out of courtesy to Gary, felt compelled to try another album with him and see where it goes while in demo stage. They were obviously going to return to the Van Hagar sound and not be so experimental. I think Eddie felt that they threw Gary Cherone into an album (3), where he couldn't really do what he was known for with Extreme and things might have been better received if Gary could just be Gary. But like you said, there was pressure from WB and things ended, but you are kidding yourself if you think that Van Halen were still 100% with Gary, but dumped him regardless. I just think it gave Eddie a way out with Gary and not look like the bad guy - like if he was to say "sorry man, but WB will dump us if we keep going in this direction with the band".

If you also recall - there were fourth singers considered and mentioned in the VH camp - so it wasn't completey 100% DLR or Hagar. Yes I know that VH tried with DLR a few times - but unlike KISS (Stanley and Simmons) who don't get along really with Ace Frehley or Peter Criss, they just were not going to give in to the pressure and do it despite the fact that they can't really work together and more or less hate each other.

The 2 tracks off of Best Of was not a pleasureable experience and they were lucky to even get those two songs out of it. Me Wise Magic was supposed to be the only song, but DLR pushed for Can't Get This Stuff No More. Van Halen didn't really want to do it. In addition, Glen Ballard had said that working with DLR was close to impossible. The reason why there are so many vocals effects on those songs, is because DLR couldn't SING. These are Ballard's words, not mine. And yet, DLR fans are dying for him to be in Van Halen. Why? So producers have to "Britney Spears" him through the production boards?

I honestly believe that VH wouldn't make a call to Dave if they lost all their money tomorrow. Eddie and Alex seem stubborn enough, that they would just find other ways to make money (soundtracks, etc.). I believe that the money would be offered to Sammy Hagar without a doubt over DLR. That would be the SMART thing to do as they couldn't guarantee to any promoter that a DLR VH tour would last more than a week or that they would be able to actually complete an album of 10 to 12 songs. Van Halen can make a ton of money with Sammy Hagar and he is absolutely the lesser of two evils. DLR wouldn't receive any phone call .

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    I know nobody probably really knows what goes on behind the scenes but, didn't VH cave into label pressure when they dumped Gary Cherone? Wasn't the story that Ed and Al wanted to keep Cherone and began work on a 2nd album but WB coerced them into firing him and trying to reunite with Dave or Sam?
    Gary Cherone quit Van Halen. he wasn't fired by them.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If 2004 wasn't a sellout, I don't know what is. Personally, I think it's silly to commend a band for not delivering what their customers want. VH has created a lose-lose situation.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

Donor

Hey Man--

As I said, I've got no problem with someone who doesn't want to see Dave back in VH. I myself wouldn't mind seeing it, but can't imagine that it really would happen.Everybody has their own opinion and are entitled to them. You just seem to go out of your way to voice yours. On both Daves.

As far as the KISS comparison, I read an interview with Gene where he said flat out he and Paul were getting 20 milion each for the reunion tour and Ace and Peter were salaried at one million a piece. If that same deal were presented with the brothers getting 20 million each and Michael and Dave agreed to take one milion each, still think the brothers wouldn't do it?

As far as who they would call first, I don't know if it would be Dave or Sam. I think Ed's relationship with both sucks. They may call Sam first, that's why I said Dave would be the first or second call made.

I'll tell you one thing though, when I first started reading this thread title, I thought it was another thread on the 2004 Reunion Tour.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well if VH figured out another way to make money w/o Dave in the pic, I dunno if they'd be gettin any of mine after 2004.

What the frick is so hard about openin the vaults???? Unless it's Al Capone's vault, there s/b something they can throw out at us starvin masses.

btw - I like your comment about the title of this thread Menlow!! That's a good one.
    Last edited by smithjc; 01.13.06 at 02:29 PM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:40 PM
    Liked 1,597 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by hey man
    Hey All,

It does take a lot of guts to not do what probably would make you most successful for whatever reason. I absolutely respect that.

If it's Sammy Hagar or another vocalist, Van Halen want to do it on their terms (eventually) and I truly have to tip my hat to that. Other bands have and do get back together from pressure from fans or the label and ultimately it becomes a mess personality wise and usually they break up again.

I just think that it's a good thing that a band stand by whatever decision they make - even if it's a decision that may not prove overly successful or popular. They have their reasons and I can respect that.
    I don't think it has much to do with guts or consistent terms and decisions, man. It's been a fucking three ring circus since 1995, with no clear direction or established set of standards. They evidently don't make decisions based on what's right or not right in terms of fan appreciation or longevity, nor what's going to carry them financially or creatively long-term.

The last ten years of Team Van Halen can be summed up in one word:

Clusterfuck.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    Gary Cherone quit Van Halen. he wasn't fired by them.
    He had a little nudging. If not from the band, at least from the label and the fans. If the brothers had put their foot down, I think they could have gotten him to stay.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

Unique point Hey Man - Never heard this presented before.

Still, I believe $ and % are the real reasons why we havn't had a Roth/VH reunion yet.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

I remember when Van Halen use to sellout. The coliseum that is
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rocket,

Are you suggesting that DLR and VH can actually work together - be it a new studio album and tour, but that $ and % is the reason why it hasn't happened. That all the talk about it being impossible to work with DLR in terms of creativity and personality is just a smoke screen for the actual problem. Money.

That if financial terms were agreed upon, we would have 6 new VH albums with Roth?