Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Default Music Appreciation

Andrew had a great article on this over at Melodickrock, and I'd love to read everyone's thoughts on this subject.

INDUSTRY NOTES - MUSIC APPRECIATION SUFFERING FROM DOWNLOADING AND MP3s:
    Another interesting article has appeared online discussing the current troubles within the music industry. This is something I have touched on before and hold definite fears of - the fact that the art of writing and crafting an album is under pressure from the current state of the industry and the move towards single tracks over full albums. It seems I am not alone....

Internet downloading and MP3 players are creating a generation of people who do not seriously appreciate songs or musical performances, British researchers said.
    "The accessibility of music has meant that it is taken for granted and does not require a deep emotional commitment once associated with music appreciation," said music psychologist Adrian North on Tuesday.
    North led a team from the University of Leicester, central England, that monitored 346 people over two weeks to evaluate how they related to music.
    They concluded that because of greater accessibility through mass media, music was nowadays seen more as a commodity that is produced, distributed and consumed like any other.
    It could also account for the popularity of television talent competitions, particularly in Britain, which allow viewers from the "iPod generation" a rare chance to engage and appreciate music and live performances, they suggested.
    "In the 19th century, music was seen as a highly valued treasure with fundamental and near-mystical powers of human communication," said North.
    "The pace of technological change has accelerated further over the last 20 years or so and these fundamental changes in the nature of musical experience and value have arguably become even more pronounced.
    "Because so much music of different styles and genres is now so widely available via portable MP3 players and the internet, it is arguable that people now actively use music in everyday listening contexts to a much greater extent than ever before.
    "The degree of accessibility and choice has arguably led to a rather passive attitude towards music heard in everyday life.
    "In short, our relationship to music in everyday life may well be complex and sophisticated, but it is not necessarily characterised by deep emotional investment."
    The academic's assessment follows a warning last week from rock legend Pete Townshend, The Who guitarist, that listening to rock music on an MP3 player through headphones could cause deafness.
    ArticleLink: www.breitbart.com.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 4,814 Times in 2,457 Posts

Premium Member

Well I think you can look at the arts in general as being looked upon as a commondity. A hundred years ago, you did not have mass production. You wanted to hear music, you would have to see a live performance. You wanted to see acting, it was done live up on stage. Dancing was a trained skill along with painting.

Now anybody can be an actor, anybody can be a musician. With limited talent and good looks, you will be more popular than somebody who is genetically superior with music.

Therefore the importance of music has been minimized by the lack of talent which was brought on by the visualzation of music....MTV.

MTV also lessened the impact of the artist over the genre. You started to look more at singles rather than albums.

Well that is my opinion...

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

He makes good points...unfortunately...

There's a lot to be said for the ALBUM as an art form ALONE...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

I get into arguments almost on a daily basis with a coworker of mine. She's got a ton of cd's that she's ripped from downloading online, and to me she lacks the appreciation for the art form.

I don't know about you guys, but I still get that rush from waiting for an album to come out, going out and getting it, and ripping it open. I love reading the notes, seeing which companies these guys endorse, reading lyrics and all that jazz. It seems to me that most folks just don't have that kinda love for the music these days.

It almost offends me in a way, mostly as a musician. I know what it takes to be creative and to have it shine thru in your music, and for it to be whored out is offensive to me.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There are still hundreds of millions of compact discs sold woldwide every year. If the industry is really concerned about downloads and mp3s they should cap retail CD prices at $10. Nineteen or twenty bucks is too much to spend to get one song someone may have heard on the radio and liked or for a CD by a band someone might have read about but never heard.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DreamIsOver
    There are still hundreds of millions of compact discs sold woldwide every year. If the industry is really concerned about downloads and mp3s they should cap retail CD prices at $10. Nineteen or twenty bucks is too much to spend to get one song someone may have heard on the radio and liked or for a CD by a band someone might have read about but never heard.
    That point I see, and is pretty much why I stopped shopping at FYE and Tower Records. I buy my music online, and I never pay over 13 or 14 bucks.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I get into arguments almost on a daily basis with a coworker of mine. She's got a ton of cd's that she's ripped from downloading online, and to me she lacks the appreciation for the art form.

I don't know about you guys, but I still get that rush from waiting for an album to come out, going out and getting it, and ripping it open. I love reading the notes, seeing which companies these guys endorse, reading lyrics and all that jazz. It seems to me that most folks just don't have that kinda love for the music these days.

It almost offends me in a way, mostly as a musician. I know what it takes to be creative and to have it shine thru in your music, and for it to be whored out is offensive to me.
    Bravo, Chris...

I TOTALLY feel the same way....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece

I'm with ya Sucka.

And not to mention that these MP3's are subpar quality, even at high bitrates it's not the full quality.

I know it's hard to listen to Lars Ulirch cry about downloading MP3's via sattelite from his mansion but for every Lars, there are thousands of struggling artists that may never see the light of day because of it.

The only time I really download stuff is to hear it before it's released, (Like in 2004 when "It's About Time" was leaked) but once it's out, I buy it, because I DO want the entire package, not just a shitty cdr or file on my computer that is subpar quality.

And I even read the "thank you" lists on the liner notes LOL As if I KNOW any of those people

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yep I have like, zero appreciation to music. Heh

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:21 PM
    Liked 1,638 Times in 1,007 Posts

Donor

There IS just something magic about hitting the store to pick up a long anticipated album from your favorite artist. Ordering or downloading online just seems so anticlimatic. It was even better back in the old days, with vinyl, when you were as excited to view the cover sleeve art as you were to hear the music. It was an event.

I'll never forget picking up 1984 that first day. Or 5150. Or better yet, BOV1 with the two new Dave tracks after all those years of waiting for a reunion. It was like fucking Christmas.

I understand the market and the convienience and the different methods the internet has implemented in the biz, but album releases used to be a reason to party. I have yet to download ANYTHING from ITunes, and the only tunes I've gotten off the 'net have been from buddies sending me offbeat/unreleased tracks and the three new BOBW tunes right here at the Links only 'cause I couldn't resist...although I really wanted to wait to pick up the album first. If it had been a full new Sam album, and not merely another GH LP, I definitely would've waited. I like to experience the full immersion, shock and awe included, and 'net leaks dull those feelings in a big way.

Ah, to be a kid who's just gotten his first dose of Halen via ATBL or something, and cruises his BMX down to the local used vinyl shop trolling through bins and finding a mint vinyl still in the shrink wrap Fair Warning LP for the first time, takes it home and puts it on his Dad's old turntable, and wham bam thank you fucking m'aam, he's blown.

It's true what Dad always told me...you're a victim of your own generation whether you like it or not. You can take the boy out of the age, but you can't take the age out of the boy.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I remember looking forward to new VH releases.

Recently, the only release I looked forward to was Judas Priest's latest.

And, that's about it.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    There IS just something magic about hitting the store to pick up a long anticipated album from your favorite artist. Ordering or downloading online just seems so anticlimatic. It was even better back in the old days, with vinyl, when you were as excited to view the cover sleeve art as you were to hear the music. It was an event.

I'll never forget picking up 1984 that first day. Or 5150. Or better yet, BOV1 with the two new Dave tracks after all those years of waiting for a reunion. It was like fucking Christmas.

I understand the market and the convienience and the different methods the internet has implemented in the biz, but album releases used to be a reason to party. I have yet to download ANYTHING from ITunes, and the only tunes I've gotten off the 'net have been from buddies sending me offbeat/unreleased tracks and the three new BOBW tunes right here at the Links only 'cause I couldn't resist...although I really wanted to wait to pick up the album first. If it had been a full new Sam album, and not merely another GH LP, I definitely would've waited. I like to experience the full immersion, shock and awe included, and 'net leaks dull those feelings in a big way.

Ah, to be a kid who's just gotten his first dose of Halen via ATBL or something, and cruises his BMX down to the local used vinyl shop trolling through bins and finding a mint vinyl still in the shrink wrap Fair Warning LP for the first time, takes it home and puts it on his Dad's old turntable, and wham bam thank you fucking m'aam, he's blown.

It's true what Dad always told me...you're a victim of your own generation whether you like it or not. You can take the boy out of the age, but you can't take the age out of the boy.
    Best Christmas gift I've ever recieved was 1984 on cassette. I knew I was gettin it cuz I peaked in my sis's room when she was out, and the anticipation just about killed me! Ripping the wrapping off, then the plastic and popping the tape in the deck changed me forever. I still get that feeling today when there's a group I really like. It's ashame that some people just don't get that vibe.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I STILL get that thrill of getting one of my favorite artist's new CD releases in my hot little hand. There's SO much more to an album for me than JUST the music - the song sequence (lots of acts PAINSTAKINGLY spend HOURS upon HOURS getting this right), the artwork, the liner notes, etc., etc...

I love to feast on the whole experience. Someone who doesn't is missing out on the whole appreciation of how much it took to get that CD in your hand. A WHOLE lot of time and effort, to say the least. I won't even buy a used CD unless it's out-of-print or I already paid for a cassette or LP version of it in the past. Free downloading? WTF is that about? Won't do that either unless, again, it's OOP or a 'boot' of some sort.

I just can't understand how anyone could treat their favorite band's new release any differently. Makes me sad to see someone view the art form of music as disposable or as something to just pass the time or use as background noise, but maybe I'm just kooky like that...
    Last edited by sixstring; 01.11.06 at 11:57 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Or that grape pez "new tape" smell?

What ultimately matters is the music though, and when people steal it off the net, it just helps decay the art we all love.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm the same aboot PC games. I'm probably the only one from my friends to purchase every release I'm interested it.

Edited: that was on sixstring's post
    Last edited by WinterlessIceness; 01.11.06 at 12:01 PM.