Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    757
    Last Online

    01.05.16 @ 08:47 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default What if Sammy Hagar never joined Van Halen...

    Let's just say back in '85 the split between David Lee Roth and VH was not so acrimonious. DLR does his Crazy from the Heat album, Eddie does this multi-singer album that was originally planned, but things eventually panned out between the two parties, uh, somewhat. In the years passing they still fight like cats and dogs like Jagger and Richards did about the same time, but still they from time to time albumed and toured and broke up to talk shit and do solo stuff. Sammy Hagar would still I believe have a sizeable fanbase but I doubt if he would have any Cabos opened anywhere. Plus he would not be looked upon like he was the Grim Reaper like he is now from the Dave loyalists here, which I believe from my dealings with VH Links is the majority, even though they are definitely some Redheads here though. I believe Van Halen would be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame right now(I also think that if Sammy was not jettisoned the first time around that may be in there anyway but that is another thread) in the first year of elgibliity(either 2003 or 2004). How different would the world be right now? Our world would definitely have a different texture to it. No Sammy vs. Dave threads, but I bet there would still be Eddie needs to clean up threads coming out of the woodworks like there is now. Van Halen would be certainly considered one of the best hard rock bands ever without hesitation from the rock press, because now of the shuffling of lead singers they are certainly forgotten somewhat. Dave still maybe doing radio by now, actually waiting for the next phone call from the bros. for the next organizational meeting for the upcoming year. Michael Anthony I believe would be selling hot sauce like he is now, just for fun to keep him occupied between VH albums and tours. I must end this by saying that I love both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar work with Van Halen equally well, I feel both have huge egos but Dave has the bigger panache where as Sammy has the bigger heart.

  2. #2
    Good Enough Phatie's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.25.03
    Age
    52
    Location
    took the 5:15 to Kalamazoo
    Posts
    2,398
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

    09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Sammy might have actually never joined Van Halen. This whole scenario could be just an implanted memory in all of us, conspired by a joint effort between Sammy and 'The Nine'. Tomorrow you might wake up refreshed with no recollection of any Van Hagar, and Sammy might be Governor of California, or the President.
    Last edited by Phatie; 01.10.06 at 07:01 PM.

  3. #3
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    07.13.04
    Posts
    39
    Last Online

    03.25.08 @ 01:14 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm as big a Dave fan as there is out there, but if he hadn't left in '85, Van Halen would have ceased to exist.

    Like it or not, Eddie wanted to change the musical direction of the group. Sammy allowed him to do that. Dave would have insisted that the music stay more firmly entrenched in the "hard rock" vein (In my opinion, to the betterment of the band).

    The group would have imploded had Sammy not joined.

    That being said, I still hope Dave comes back.

  4. #4
    Eruption servoguy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    1,244
    Favorite VH Album

    BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

    Crossing over
    Last Online

    04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Sammy not join:

    1) I am still wearing my denim jacket
    2) I am still smoking pot
    3) Dave is still mt hero
    4) Cabo is still a sleepy little town south of the border
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

  5. #5
    On Fire tankman's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.07.04
    Age
    45
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    365
    Favorite VH Album

    Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    and Sammy might be Governor of California, or the President.[/QUOTE]

    He is the President of your country isn't he??????????????

  6. #6
    Banned! Hotlantadude1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.25.04
    Age
    36
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,481
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

    06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    which I believe from my dealings with VH Links is the majority, even though they are definitely some Redheads here though. I believe Van Halen would be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame right now"

    There wouldn't be as many Love songs... But you probably would
    have heard more I'll Wait and Jump... Alot of fans seem to have
    tired of those songs long ago.. So they might have lost some
    popularity anyway.

    I believe 1984 would have been their last great album anyway.
    Every thing after it would probably have been poor versions of
    1984.... It's likely they'd spend years and years trying to have
    success off of an album just like it.
    Last edited by Hotlantadude1981; 01.11.06 at 10:43 AM.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,216
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotlantadude1981
    I believe 1984 would have been their last great album anyway.
    Every thing after it would probably have been poor versions of
    1984.... It's likely they'd spend years and years trying to have
    success off of an album just like it.

    I dunno about that...I think a harder 5150 with Dave, if he and Ted had talked Ed outta using the keyboards so much, might've rocked our worlds. Riding that peak of commercial and creative success, may have resulted in VH overtaking acts like AC DC and Aerosmith and cementing themselves firmly into the top pantheon of hard rock.

    Which is, again, why I think Dave whipped himself up an extra spicy batch of numbnuts stew by quitting.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 01.11.06 at 10:57 AM.

  8. #8
    Banned! Hotlantadude1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.25.04
    Age
    36
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,481
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

    06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    I dunno about that...I think a harder 5150 with Dave, if he and Ted had talked Ed outta using the keyboards so much, might've rocked our worlds. Riding that peak of commercial and creative success, may have resulted in VH overtaking acts like AC DC and Aerosmith and cementing themselves firmly into the top pantheon of hard rock.

    Which is, again, why I think Dave whipped himself up an extra spicy batch of numbnuts stew by quitting.
    "I dunno about that...I think a harder 5150 with Dave, if he and Ted had talked Ed outta using the keyboards so much, might've rocked our worlds."

    You think that would have happend?? I don't think it would have.

    VH did alot better than AC/DC in the 80's.

    In fact, AC/DC's good songs were few and far between after 1981. I suspect Matt Lange had something to do with that. After Back In Black, Brian's
    vocals just sounded too rough for me. I do like some of the other songs.. Money Talks, Sink the Pink, Thunderstruck, Ball Breaker, Stiff Upper Lip and
    a few others.. But there isn't much througout the 80's they did that was all that great.

    But for some reason... I just don't think VH was ever going to get there in alot of people's eyes. I think to alot of people VH is nothing more than buttrock.
    Last edited by Hotlantadude1981; 01.11.06 at 11:52 AM.

  9. #9
    Eruption Bono Vox's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.10.05
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,286
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.27.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    I dunno about that...I think a harder 5150 with Dave, if he and Ted had talked Ed outta using the keyboards so much, might've rocked our worlds. Riding that peak of commercial and creative success, may have resulted in VH overtaking acts like AC DC and Aerosmith and cementing themselves firmly into the top pantheon of hard rock.

    Which is, again, why I think Dave whipped himself up an extra spicy batch of numbnuts stew by quitting.
    Dave quitting VH is probably one of the worst descions ever made by anyone in the music bizz to this day!

    If only Dave knew then what he realizes now!
    Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

    "You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

    "Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

    "This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

    "“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009


    ~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~

  10. #10
    Baluchitherium loveevhsince79's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.22.04
    Location
    Cols, OH
    Posts
    5,420
    Last Online

    10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hewson
    Dave quitting VH is probably one of the worst descions ever made by anyone in the music bizz to this day!

    If only Dave knew then what he realizes now!
    And I will second that comment....bonehead move if there ever was one.

  11. #11
    Unchained arackofwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.19.04
    Location
    montauk project
    Posts
    436
    Last Online

    09.13.08 @ 04:22 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    like eddie said years ago, something to the effect of if you have 1 ac/dc album you have them all.... i totally agree with that.

    anyway, if dave never left i seriously do think van halen would still seize to exist today.because van halen for all intents and purposes was very 1 dimensional with dave.yes they kicked ass like no other and they remain in my book the best but, sammy did allow eddie freedom,albeit for only a period of time i suppose.then eddie changed.
    Last edited by arackofwhat; 01.11.06 at 12:32 PM.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,216
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotlantadude1981
    You think that would have happend?? I don't think it would have.

    VH did alot better than AC/DC in the 80's.

    In fact, AC/DC's good songs were few and far between after 1981. I suspect Matt Lange had something to do with that. After Back In Black, Brian's
    vocals just sounded too rough for me. I do like some of the other songs.. Money Talks, Sink the Pink, Thunderstruck, Ball Breaker, Stiff Upper Lip and
    a few others.. But there isn't much througout the 80's they did that was all that great.

    But for some reason... I just don't think VH was ever going to get there in alot of people's eyes. I think to alot of people VH is nothing more than buttrock.

    I'm entirely unsure why you think it wouldn't have happened. 1984 was their peak, it's not like they waned in intensity or popularity after that LP came out. Their biggest year yet and the next Dave album wouldn't have landed? Come on.

    And AC DC, to the general hard rocking public outside these forums, was never in danger of getting dethroned by anyone, even Van Halen...at best, had Dave stayed on, they might have double billed if VH stayed at its zenith. But there's no way AC DC would EVER have opened for VH. Eddie would be the first to say so. There's a reason why AC DC was the headliner at all those Monsters of Rock gigs in Europe...one of which VH with Dave was one of the opening acts, if I remember right. And you can rest assured that at our infamous American Monsters of Rock in '88, had AC DC been invited, VH would NOT have closed the night, and Metallica, the Scorps, and Sammy Vh would all have opened for Acca Dacca.

    Also, I don't think For Those About to Rock or Razor's Edge could be defined as 'Not all that great.' And while I agree that a few of their more recent efforts haven't been stellar on the level of BiB or the Bon Scott catalogue...there are few bands in this particular genre (classic hard rock) that can compete with Angus and company onstage live. A LOT more hard rock aficionados listen to AC DC than Van Halen, that's a jack, fact.

    I dunno, man. You dig III, you don't think AC DC was anything special in the 80s. You think MWM is robotic, and you think continued albums fronted by Dave post-1984 would've sucked and fallen out of the public eye. You think Carmen Electra is a curve-less pencil. Your opinions are yours to make, of course. But you seem to be one odd bird.

  13. #13
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.01.03
    Location
    Pasadena, TX
    Posts
    2,737
    Last Online

    12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Talk about speculation.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk Menlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    11,654
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

    06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    I'm entirely unsure why you think it wouldn't have happened. 1984 was their peak, it's not like they waned in intensity or popularity after that LP came out. Their biggest year yet and the next Dave album wouldn't have landed? Come on.

    And AC DC, to the general hard rocking public outside these forums, was never in danger of getting dethroned by anyone, even Van Halen...at best, had Dave stayed on, they might have double billed if VH stayed at its zenith. But there's no way AC DC would EVER have opened for VH. Eddie would be the first to say so. There's a reason why AC DC was the headliner at all those Monsters of Rock gigs in Europe...one of which VH with Dave was one of the opening acts, if I remember right. And you can rest assured that at our infamous American Monsters of Rock in '88, had AC DC been invited, VH would NOT have closed the night, and Metallica, the Scorps, and Sammy Vh would all have opened for Acca Dacca.

    Also, I don't think For Those About to Rock or Razor's Edge could be defined as 'Not all that great.' And while I agree that a few of their more recent efforts haven't been stellar on the level of BiB or the Bon Scott catalogue...there are few bands in this particular genre (classic hard rock) that can compete with Angus and company onstage live. A LOT more hard rock aficionados listen to AC DC than Van Halen, that's a jack, fact.

    I dunno, man. You dig III, you don't think AC DC was anything special in the 80s. You think MWM is robotic, and you think continued albums fronted by Dave post-1984 would've sucked and fallen out of the public eye. You think Carmen Electra is a curve-less pencil. Your opinions are yours to make, of course. But you seem to be one odd bird.
    I disagree a bit about AC/DC vs. VH in the 80's. VH had one thing going for them that AC/DC didn't--MTV. VH with Dave were MTV darlings, and Dave's CFTH and Yankee Rose videos were very popular as well. Dave was a MTV star in that era, he oozed charisma. AC/DC just didn't have the visual image that DLR/VH did. AC/DC also never had the crossover success that VH had either with Jump. Like it or not, Jump really broadened VH's fanbase.

    Among hard rock afficienados, maybe AC/DC would have remained ahead of VH. Amongst the more mainstream audience VH could have been bigger.


    Oh, for what might been....
    Last edited by Menlow; 01.11.06 at 01:33 PM.

  15. #15
    Good Enough Bostonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,842
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 02:08 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    I disagree a bit about AC/DC vs. VH in the 80's. VH had one thing going for them that AC/DC didn't--MTV. VH with Dave were MTV darlings, and Dave's CFTH and Yankee Rose videos were very popular as well. Dave was a MTV star in that era, he oozed charisma. AC/DC just didn't have the visual image that DLR/VH did. AC/DC also never had the crossover success that VH had either with Jump. Like it or not, Jump really broadened VH's fanbase.

    Among hard rock afficienados, maybe AC/DC would have remained ahead of VH. Amongst the more mainstream audience VH could have been bigger.


    Oh, for what might been....
    Not exactly, AC/DC had some exposure on MTV, although I do tend to agree with you. Although at this point, these what if's are kinda pointless. As it stands now, we have a broken band, whose members are either MIA, touring by themselves or giving mediocre radio. I would love to see maybe VH scale back, and maybe do a few smaller venue's with whoever singing, and do what they do best... ROCK!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 116
    Last Post: 04.04.05, 02:37 AM
  2. When Van Halen tours With Sammy Hagar
    By baddmann28 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12.21.02, 12:02 PM
  3. Sammy Hagar back in Van Halen
    By RayDanniels in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09.25.02, 12:32 PM
  4. Sammy Davis vs. Sammy Hagar: Who has the advantage?
    By SeriousDooDoo in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01.24.02, 10:33 PM
  5. How Many Have Joined VHLinks.com since Gary Left?
    By Sweet William in forum VHL Forum Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02.10.00, 09:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •