Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Dear Gov't, Get the fuck out of my living room...

Digital television by 2009, Stevens says

President Bush could receive a digital-television transition bill by October, according to Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska).
    http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/expo...5/digital.html

WHY??? Why the push away from free airwaves?!? Big lobbyists with ties to cable companies and movie studios??!? WTF?!?
    I know this isn't NEW news, but it's pissing me off today... Heavy Flow Day, perhaps

In 1996, Congress created a “soft date” of Dec. 31, 2006, for transition to digital television broadcasts and the return of the analog spectrum to the federal government. The date would be extended for markets in which more than 15 percent of households could not receive digital signals, effectively exempting most locales.

What are they going to do with after the return of the analog spectrum to the federal government?? Oh, I see... http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/feb/1119275.htm
    http://www.reason.com/0304/fe.mg.prisoners.shtml
    http://www.law.umaryland.edu/marshal...0_08012003.pdf
    Last edited by voivod; 01.10.06 at 01:03 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

06.11.16 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's the problem here? Better quality broadcasts?

Do you not have cable today?

New TV's will have the digital receiver and a converter won't be that pricey. You'll see much better quality out there.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danward5150
    What's the problem here? Better quality broadcasts?

Do you not have cable today?

New TV's will have the digital receiver and a converter won't be that pricey. You'll see much better quality out there.
    Quality of what? Fifty seven channels and nothing on...
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Well personally I don't think TV is a right under our constitution. Plus I do know that our government controls our airwaves. Its not a private industry. The government grants the companies the right to use UHF/VHF spectrum.

Therefore I think they do have the right to control what medium we are to receive our broadcasts. Just like the internet, our phone lines and radio.

I also wish they could move this forward because I am tired of having only about 10 HDTV channels. I need more.

The costs are coming down and as more people buy HDTV they will go down even further.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That's the only hang-up I have with DT is the fact that the sets are sooooo fuckin' expensive right now. I'm glad they pushed the transition date back. Hopefully the sets will be cheaper in the near future...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Clinton signed a bill back in 1996 mandating HD TV by 2005.

What pissed me off is why not let the market place dictate the change and advance in technology?

Fuck the govenrment sometimes
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    Clinton signed a bill back in 1996 mandating HD TV by 2005.

What pissed me off is why not let the market place dictate the change and advance in technology?

Fuck the govenrment sometimes
    Fuck Klinton - Forever Impeached

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    Fuck Klinton - Forever Impeached
    Right.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EVH FANATIC
    Right.

Buck Fush too. What the hell is the difference? Divide and conquer, and we still haven't figured out how they do it while they steal liberty and freedom. Go ahead and fight some stupid war, I want to live to be a hundred and sixty four - vote for Nader, what are we waiting for? The outcome of the whole human coincidence has nothing to do with any effort on our part. It is written.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    Because of the chicken and the egg. There's a large infrastructure investment that needs to be made by your local TV station in order to get them to go digital. Without a market, that transition never happens. Why would a consumer go out and buy a TV set with a digital tuner when there are no signals to receive? At the same time, why would a station invest in digital equipment if there are no consumers to watch their programming?

I'm not at all sure why anyone would chose to bitch about this. Each local station receives about four times the effective bandwidth that they had with analog systems, meaning that it significantly broadens the market for over the air television. There are some markets now where you can get networks like ESPN for free, as they've been able to take advantage of the increased bandwidth and transmit OTA. It creates a viable alternative to cable and satellite. Another example would be that of your local station not having to break into programming to cover weather events. No more missing the baseball game because there's a storm in the next county--they run a crawl at the bottom, and do full coverage on one of their other allocated channels.

The reason all of this keeps getting pushed back is that the adoption rates are low. There are plenty of HD-capable sets out there, but not plenty of HD tuners. It's not as though everyone is being forced over to Radio Shack if they want to keep getting OTA programming.

Can anyone explain to me a rational reason for bitching about this? It gives a low-cost alternative to cable, diversifies programming, provides a better signal and picture than our ancient analog equipment, and will eventually return a large sum to the public through the auction of the unused analog bandwidth.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How can anyone honestly say the hundreds of channels I have now, from my cable, is not enough....
    ludicrous.
    You don't 200 channels of tv...
    you need more time in the park with your kid...
    more nights out at dinner with your spouse.

Your kid needs more time on the soccer/baseball/whatEVER field and less time in front of the tv.

Jesus, people, get a friggin grip....

Get a cable tv, and take the extra money you'd spend trying to impress your friends, and take your family camping....
    gotta get a betamax....
    now i gotta get a vhs
    now i gotta have a laserdisc
    now i gotta have a dvd....

FUCKING HELL, grow up America.
    Last edited by LOC; 01.10.06 at 09:27 PM.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Back up a sec - I don't THINK digital cable is the "same" as HD. I have digital cable now via a digital cable box, but I don't have HD on either TV. It's just a different cable box, it hooks up to your TV the same as it does now. To my understanding, that's all that it will be - you may need a cable box, but that's not a big deal.

Sure, without HD you're "missing" a feature of the service, but HD costs more too. I'm fine with 200+ channels of TV through my digital box without the HD.

Of course, I'm kicking myself for not spending the extra $300 to get HD on the TV I bought last year, but eventually I'll get HD.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Once you get HD you never go back.

What is happening to TV is no different than what happened to vinyl, 8-tracks and cassettes. What the hell good is a casssette tape in a car anymore?

I am glad the government is pushing this. Its like Ike building our interstates. It screwed up farmland but look where we are at today because of it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    Once you get HD you never go back.

What is happening to TV is no different than what happened to vinyl, 8-tracks and cassettes. What the hell good is a casssette tape in a car anymore?

I am glad the government is pushing this. Its like Ike building our interstates. It screwed up farmland but look where we are at today because of it.

That's my point, IT'S NOT THE SAME as cassette and 8-track. Those both died a natural death, 8-track only sold because it was "Hot", once you had it for a while you realized that it was a pain in the ass.

I have Dish Network, it's fine. I'm planning on a HD TV in the near future, only because my current one will be obsolete. This is because of the FCC mandate Clinton signed. Sure the picture's better and the sound is better, why not let the market force the change? If the technology is so great, why then force it down our throats?

What if it's not the best technology? What if there is an even better broadcast medium in the pipeline? Are we going to. like the 8-Track, going to be dumping this stuff in six years? Meanwhile T.V. stations in America have been forced to invest in this technology, smaller stations who can't afford the upgrades then have to sell to guys like Clear Channel.

Meanwhile, there is no mandate about better gas mileage for new cars. If the feds aren't going to mandate one then they shouldn't mandate the other.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Axx, I think you've got a pretty large misunderstanding of what is going on. Your TV won't be obsolete, and TVs being HD isn't being mandated by the government. OTA digital broadcasts are being mandated. That doesn't affect you in the slightest as a Dish Network customer.

I don't this as fact, but I would be quite surprised if the government defined the 720p and 1080i standards that define HDTV. That's likely the doing of an industry standards group.

As for local TV stations, this isn't something they're upset about. Having worked in that industry, I can tell you that they're excited. It gives them a viable chance to compete and provides them with revenue opportunities that they simply haven't had before.

There's a lot of confusion out there about this, and even more bad information. Between digital this, digital that, FCC, HDTV, 720p, EDTV, 1080i, HD tuners, HD-ready, DVR, PVR, Tivo, cable, on-demand, satellite, and all the rest is it any wonder people are confused?