Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Plan USA

Does anybody know anything about the Plan USA Childreach Sponsor program? I.e. how much of the money actually goes to the kids, if it's a useful legitimate organization, etc.?
    Last edited by janthraxx; 01.08.06 at 10:43 AM.
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Plan USA (800)556-7918 www.childreach.org EIN#13-5661832 - A global, nonprofit,
    child-centered organization operating since 1937, seeking to make lasting improvements in the lives of poor children and their families in developing countries. 21.3%

That comes from http://www.opm.gov/cfc/05lists/docs/...ional_List.pdf The 21.3% is their percentage of funds that go to administrative cots. That's towards the high-end of CFC charities.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for that Mike. Yeah, 21% seems a little steep just for admin costs. I was recommended to the Christian Children's Fund, but I'd rather not support a denominational group. What would you, or anyone else suggest?

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

What wouldn't you want to support a denominational group? They have some of the highest percentages going directly towards their mission and do incredible work.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well for one, CCF is not that much lower--18% administrative versus 21% for Plan USA.

I'm sure they do fantastic work, and they're amazing people for it, but I wouldn't want to support the denominational group because I wouldn't want to support a set of doctrines being pushed on the kids.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 1,635 Times in 1,005 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    What wouldn't you want to support a denominational group? They have some of the highest percentages going directly towards their mission and do incredible work.

Exactly. Truth is, CCF is one of the more action-oriented charities one can contribute to, and their direct monies are higher than most...and the bucks really do go to things like drinking water wells, food, sewage disposal, classrooms and youth programs, shelter and clothing.

The holy factor's only a secondary and far less integral part of what they're doing. Poverty doesn't recognize doctrine distinctions, whether you believe in this God or that one. If some kid believes in Jesus, but sleeps on a dirt floor and skips dinners four nights a week, who friggin' cares what he believes in...shuck that 25 bucks a month and get him some more base comfort in life.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No I agree with that, and if I don't find a better alternative, I'm just gonna go with CCF. So you see significant direct results with yours Squalen?

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 1,635 Times in 1,005 Posts

Donor

Yes.

The monthly sponsorship dues, yeah, they take 20%...but the rest is straight to the family. And ANY monetary gifts above and beyond your monthly sponsorship go 100% to the child.

One of my CCF kids is a little girl in Brazil. She lives in one of the worst slums of Fortaleza. Last year they sent me a pic of the purchases resulting in my 'Xmas bonus' to them, a bike for her, three months of market-portioned meats (they almost entirely subsist on rice and beans), and school wardrobes for all four of the family's children. For a hundred fucking measly dollars.

Don't sit around and debate semantics over dogma. Get it done if you're gonna do it (which, as you know, I applaud). Twenty-odd children died of malnutrition while I was typing this post.