Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Good, bad, or a necessity?

I’ve noticed a lot of “criminal” news stories being posted for awhile now. I have something I think would be interesting to discuss along those lines. Plea bargaining. This came up in a discussion I had with some friends the other day at work. Where do you stand? Is plea bargaining good, bad, or a middle of the road necessity?

Discuss.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Discuss.
    ...or not.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    ...or not.
    Give the thread some more time, Brad. I'm sure it'll get going.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

I dont think it's something we have here in the UK so I'd be grateful if someone could explain how it works.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Well, there is a lot of gray-area as far as what type of case plea-bargaining should be used in to me.
    murderers: no
    rapists: no
    drug runners: yes
    drug lords: no
    and many more.
    I guess: If a lawyer is going to plea bargain, it must be to get the "big guy". There are sooo many cases that can be used, and some that shouldn't be, and are used.
    Play nice.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I don't agree with plea bargaining. If a person breaks the law, they break the law. They shouldn't have the option of a plea bargain. Consequences/penalties are in place for a reason.

And half the time the person never gets the maximum penalty anyways.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If we didn’t have plea bargaining we would have to build more court houses by the thousands as well as hire thousands of more judges and attorneys.

It really does streamline the criminal justice process, so as to make way for more significant cases. In doing this the sense of justice seems to be lost, however. If you commit a crime that has a certain punishment with it, you shouldn’t be able to plea down to a lesser charge and therefore get a shorter sentence.

Some view it in the opposite regard. There is always a chance the person will go to trial and be found not guilty…even if they are guilty. If this happens, neither the victim, nor the family gets justice. Some families agree to plea bargains for this very reason…they know with a plea bargain the guilty person will do some time v. maybe not doing any at all.

Either way, it is a very interesting debate.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    I dont think it's something we have here in the UK so I'd be grateful if someone could explain how it works.

SEA, it is a process we use in our Criminal Justice system here in the states. It allows for a criminal to “plea” their charges down to those with a lesser penalty. More often than not it is initiated by the prosecutor (the plaintiff or the ones claiming the charge), and generally happens after the arraignment. For instance, a man is charged with 1st degree murder, which carries a different sentence from state to state, but we will use one of the typical sentences of 40 years to life. Now, he plea bargains down to Manslaughter, and only gets 7 years in prison with 3 years of probation to follow.
    Last edited by BradS; 01.07.06 at 04:52 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

To be honest, I'm not sure I like the sound of that. Like Brew said, there are certain things that have to be absolute in the justice system.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Plea barganing is good.

First off, not every criminal is offered a plea bargan. The real bad guys get it handed to them although for some, a plea bargan gets them life instead of the death penalty, that's fine because the guy will rot in prison and the state or federal government saves around $11 million in challenges if the guy is found guilty. All death penalty judgements are automatically challenged and re-challenged, in California it takes almost 20 year to put a guy to death and all that time is spent in court.

Plea bargans save time and money for the state and feds, plus it gets the perp out of the can faster too. Some plea bargans come in the form of naming names, a guy fingers the head drug dealer, testifies and gets 18 years knocked off of his possession with intent charge. Sometimes, like the Green River Killer, it puts missing persons cases to rest and closes books on unsolved homocides.

In Monterey County, the plea bargan keeps the courtroom moving. The scumbags will always gget jail time but lessor types get parole or shorter sentences.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    To be honest, I'm not sure I like the sound of that. Like Brew said, there are certain things that have to be absolute in the justice system.
    I agree.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VH122
    I agree.
    Without flexability there is no justice.

Zero tollerance is evil.

Example, anyone of us can, at any time be in an auto accident where we are at fault. You're changing the radio, thinking about your sick kid or the job interview you just had and -BOOM!...You just killed someone and put their kid in a wheelchair for the rest of their life.

It's an accident, you were doing something that we all do every day and your luck ran out. Maybe the DOA wasn't paying attention either but you are leagally at fault. Are you a murderer? Should you get life in prison? Maybe, if you have a long list of traffic sitations and two or more fender-benders then maybe four years in prison will straighten your ass out (it will certainly widen it). On the other hand, what if you have a spotless driving record? You've got a family too and you are well thought of by your community. Shouldn't this play a factor in your punishment?

Hey, I'm one of those guys who's all for harsh penalties dealt out for first timers, especially juveniles but jail isn't always the answer (depending on the crime). That's why we don't exicute people for petty theft and burglery, there is a flexible scale on which we judge defendants.

Don't get me wrong, had I caught the cocksuckingmotherfucker who broke into my truck I would have punched him in his lower back until his kidneys failed. Criminals should be removed from society and REHABILITATED, we've quit on that aspect of our social obligation and we are all paying for it in the form of higher taxes and higher insurance premiums. For our higher taxes we are getting less city services and more cops and more prisons and guards.

I wonder how many people who are for tougher sentences and judgements have illegally downloaded music on their computers right now. If the record industry catches up to them will they accept their punishment or will they decry the lack of "fairness" and flexability?
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300