Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

You And Your Blues
    Last Online

10.30.15 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Following in the footstep of my dad.

Ok, now I love my dad. He's done so much for me when he didnt even really have much to give. Quick idea of the kind guy my dad is; I had an audition for a band that was signed but I needed a stack to use. The guy dipped into his retirement which was only 2,000 and bought me a Line 6 stack for $1,500 just so I can live my dream (by the way I did get the gig). Now with that,
    I hate to say it, but, I havent been the "golden child". I'm 22 years old and i'm workin sooooooo hard to make something of myself since I fucked it all up in highschool. You see, I didnt graduate. I had gotten kicked out of school my senior year for skipping school so much. My dad tried his ass off to make sure I didnt skip but hell I was a fuckin dumbass!

Lately I have realized a few things. Already at my age I have, and almost am following in the footsteps of my dad. Which is NOT a bad thing. Not a great thing either.
    He's 42, i'm 22. His wife (my mom) who passed when I was 3 was 5'3 very small, very pretty, had short hair and very outgoing. My girl whome I am (at least i think) totaly in love with is 5'2 very small, VERY attractive, short hair just like my moms (length wise) and very outgoing. He always tells me how she reminds him of my mother because of her personality. Which doesnt bother me.

My dad didnt finish school, neither did I. Since he was 18 he's owned over 90 cars and he never owned a car dealer. I'm 22 and since I was 18 I have owned 6 cars. All the cars I have owned are exactly the kind of cars my dad had at my age and I never set out to do that either!

When my dad was young he worked doing dishes for the longest time to make ends meet. I worked doing dishes for 4 years doing the same! My dad now works at a hospital. I worked at the same hospital for 3 years. He worked at a cemetary (where my mother is) and now I just got a job there and start on monday.

My dad was a musician. He was a drummer. Now i am a guitarist (not quite the same yet were both musicians).

It's wierd to me. I'm doing all these things that he did and i'm not even trying to it. Has anything like this happend to any of you?? What does this all mean?? WTF!!!
    FULL TIME LURKER

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I think it's great that you're so much like your dad. Appreciate every day you have with him.

I feel so old.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I know how you feel. I catch myself doing things my dad did/does on a regular basis. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

You And Your Blues
    Last Online

10.30.15 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Well besides the first 3 years of my life my dad has raised me (and my sister) by himself. So I guess its just natural that I'm doing the things he does? It's the fact that Im doin it without realizing it! LoL, man it's wierd!
    FULL TIME LURKER

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

I found this neat to read. For someone who is so young to see what they did wrong and want to improve on it, is comemerable. You seem to have matured since high school.

For me, me and my father do not have much in common. He is blue collar, I'm white collar. He is unbelievable at carpentry, plumbing, automotives and electricity. I know jack about that stuff. Yet, I do find things that we do have in common. We put our families first. We do what we have to do at times when we really don't want to do them ("Do what you gotta do" he would say).
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

cool for you Dude... Unless there's something in your Dad's history you're afraid of repeating, I think you're doing damn well!!

--rant on--

I on the other hand have tried to stay out of my father's footsteps my entire adult life... Being a drunk, he blew his marriage and State Police carear by the time I was 4 years old... Was barely around much, and those weekend visits were a bore... I can almost point out every bar I played video games or pinball in from Western CT to Providence, RI while "visiting Dad" on the weekends... The only times I did see him alot were during the winters when he was a referee for my youth hockey league... Now 20 years later (and 10 years of my own marriage later) I'm the VP of that same league, with two kids of my own playing... In two years, he's come to the rink once to see his grandkids skate... fuckhim... Just as detached to them as he was to me... What's worse, is at times I find myself detached in regards to my kids' day to day lives - and that sucks... For over 20 years I've been trying to Break The Cycle set forth by my now 90yo grandfather...

--rant off--
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, WCTBL, Humans Being
    Last Online

08.28.09 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess things are meant to go a certain way through life. You don't plan them, they just happen that way. The way I look at, as long as you are happy, that means more than anything. Cool story, though!!!!

"It's 5150 Time"

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

Growing up I did what I could to not be like my father...he liked and still likes Folk and Celtic music...so I turned to Van Halen. He was a teacher, so I didn't take High School seriously (I made it through and worked my ass off in college)...we seemed to be at each other's throats all the time. In the past 5 years I got married, moved 500 miles away, bought a house, and made tremendous strides in my career. Not only am I now doing things that my father does (similar attitudes and emotions dealing with money and issues, I have also physically changed into him) but we are closer than we have ever been. Value what you have.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, hope I don't become anything like mine. But I guess I wouldn't know even if I did.

I CAN tell you that I would be apart of my kid's life.
    Last edited by MASHAGAR; 01.07.06 at 09:43 PM.