Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Any car experts here?? NEED HELP

So I have this 90' Toyota Camry with a V6. I believe one of the valves are going bad in the engine because it makes this nasty rattle sound in the engine when I turn on the car. Anybody know how to replace a valve at all? I hate driving it the way it is.
    Last edited by Kevy5150; 01.06.06 at 10:44 AM.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Have someone look a it. If it is a valve, then you could be doing internal damage to your engine driving it the way it is.

It isn't hard replacing valves, but it is labor intensive. On American engines, the heads need to be pulled off and then the valve replaced. I am not sure how Toyota engines are built though.
    Last edited by ZeoBandit; 01.06.06 at 11:15 AM.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Could be a motor mount. Is there reduced performance?

I'm not an expert btw.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There's not much any difference in how it drives from what I can tell. But I been taking it as easy as possible on the road. I don't think I'm going to take back on the road until I get it fixed, that's taking a big chance.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If it is a rattle on the upper end, and what's rattling is allowing valve travel into the cylinder 'freestyle', with the valve retainers/springs broken, its only a matter of time before the piston hits that valve and you won't have to stop driving it the car. It will stop itself and cost you another $2000 that it wouldn't cost you today. But, it could be something minor, like excessive valve lash. Toyota technicians don't have much to do, so walk into a dealership, through the back door and talk to one who's in the shop. Most techs are cool, and will take the time to explain what it could be.

luck

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    If it is a rattle on the upper end, and what's rattling is allowing valve travel into the cylinder 'freestyle', with the valve retainers/springs broken, its only a matter of time before the piston hits that valve and you won't have to stop driving it the car. It will stop itself and cost you another $2000 that it wouldn't cost you today. But, it could be something minor, like excessive valve lash. Toyota technicians don't have much to do, so walk into a dealership, through the back door and talk to one who's in the shop. Most techs are cool, and will take the time to explain what it could be.

luck
    Sound advice...look, you can drive it to death and get stranded someplace, or get it fixed...obviously you are not going to go get a Chilton's manual and fix it yourself.

Third option is bail, ie: sell the car and get another. Depends right now on what kind of scratch you have in your pocket.

Phatie is correct, yet I believe he's speaking metaphorically: talk with your friends, relatives, friend's relatives...ect. Do not walk onto a dealerships's lot literally, as this is sort of frowned upon in the state that I dwell in.

You are looking at about $250-$375 give or take labor.

Add in how much you like the car, do the math if you want/need to keep it or get another ride.

Your serve.
    ...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Could it be the timing belt? I had one of those go in my '87 VW Jetta once, and it made a nasty rattling sound.

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If the timing belt goes, the car won't even start. So you can rule that out.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I do have a Chilton manual for the car. Problem is, I am so low on my knowledge for cars that I can bearly understand what the directions are for removing the head of the engine. I also need to replace the gaskets when I take off the head.

The very last thing I wanna do is fuck something up. I have a lot of friend who are into cars. Hopefully they can help me out some.

Yeah, fuck dealerships. No fucking way. They will probably charge me just for information.
    Last edited by Kevy5150; 01.06.06 at 02:08 PM.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

If you do not know anything about engines, then don't even try to fix it. If it is a valve, or something else internal to the engine and you have to pull the head or heads off, then you are taking about 50% of the engine apart. You'll never get it back together and working properly.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    Sound advice...look, you can drive it to death and get stranded someplace, or get it fixed...obviously you are not going to go get a Chilton's manual and fix it yourself.

Third option is bail, ie: sell the car and get another. Depends right now on what kind of scratch you have in your pocket.

Phatie is correct, yet I believe he's speaking metaphorically: talk with your friends, relatives, friend's relatives...ect. Do not walk onto a dealerships's lot literally, as this is sort of frowned upon in the state that I dwell in.

You are looking at about $250-$375 give or take labor.

Add in how much you like the car, do the math if you want/need to keep it or get another ride.

Your serve.
    ...craig
    Craig, not everything I write is a metaphor. I'm very serious about walking into the service area, if you can pull it off. If you look like you belong, there's no problem - its the car business, and most of the management are jacks, ALL of the service writers are jacks, and chances are you can get a tech to give you free advice.

I'm assuming its a V6, with overhead cams. A trained eye could take a look at the lobes, turn the engine over with a ratchet to each cylinder's open and close and measure the lash. I think if it was a busted retainer the valve would have hit the piston already. If its excessive valve lash, a compression test would probably find the cylinder, but a trained eye could spot the problem, like say a timing light on the valve train - but that's way over the top of most people's heads.

Walk into a Toyota service bay, like you belong there and just buddy up to a tech, and say, "ever heard of a 90 V6 making a shitload of rattle from the valve train?" Chances are its something that happens to that particular engine. Toyotas have limited issues, so the ones they do have re-occur, and your tech will know what it is by just you making the noise and describing when it happens, acceleration, deceleration, etc.

Chef, you gave a number off the top of your head. What was that for? Timing belt, valve lash adjustment, head gasget, what?? Because if those cams have to come out, you're looking at double that number, plus the camshaft. If a valve is busted, you're in the $850 range just to take apart all the jap scrap and put it back together.

Okay, enough of this.

Ph@
    Last edited by Phatie; 01.06.06 at 04:31 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Obviously more knowledge in here already than I can offer up, but could it be that it may just be a lifter? Probably not if it's more of a rattle than a ticking/clicking, but noise example miles may vary.

And hey, if you're not loaded in the pockets right now, don't throw away that chilton's. I knew nothing about volvo's but was out of work and had the timing belt break on my 850. It took me a long long time, but I got it done. I had the top end redone professionally but put it all back together myself and saved a grand that I otherwise couldn't afford to let go of.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

In all earnest, a local valve job (from the folk I deal with) runs in that range, and I did not pop it out of my skull. This reference came about last summer, regarding a lady friend of mine and her car, and several of us (including folk working at the local Ford dealership) delved as close to the bone as we could.

I offered assistance as I could in this case, based upon personal experiance.

Thank you for short-shooting my efforts in this matter, as well as my good intentions.

I'm certain that you will provide the ultimate answer, pardon me for trying to assist, in any way.

Please lead on...
    Last edited by chefcraig; 01.06.06 at 06:21 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad
    Obviously more knowledge in here already than I can offer up, but could it be that it may just be a lifter? Probably not if it's more of a rattle than a ticking/clicking, but noise example miles may vary.
    Clicking might best describe it. But a loud clicking.

When putting my foot down on the gas, the clicking gets faster. Decreases when I release.
    Respects.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

1. Did it just start all in a sudden or did it gradually get louder and louder.
    2. Does it decrease when your engine gets up to temp?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen