Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.09.06 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Who makes the closest copy of Eddie’s Kramer neck?

I have wanted to build a replica of Eddie’s 1984 era Kramer Baretta for some time now. The one thing I am not sure about is where to get a proper neck for the replica. My first thought was an original Kramer neck from the 80’s but most of them have either the pointed headstock or the short hockey-stick style headstock. Eddie’s guitar as you know has the a non-tilt long banana style headstock and I can’t seem to find a company that makes a neck like this. So are there any recommendations where I can get the proper neck for my replica?
    Last edited by GoodToneMadeMeDeaf; 01.04.06 at 12:31 PM.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did you think about Warmoth? I have what they called the KWS model which is pretty similar to the banana headstock but to be perfectly honest it is NOT identical in shape. The KWS is a bit shorter, the 5150 headstock is REALLY long and somewhat fragile too. Remember, Ed broke the end of the headstock while on tour and that's why he had to add an extra tuner on the other side, near the string retainer bar:

http://vintagekramer.com/5150lrg.jpg

See the extra tuner?

There is also the Kramer 1984 Reissue which is a very close replica of Ed's 5150, down to the headstock shape. Unless you want to build your replica from scratch that could be a solution. You'll just have to find the clear coat version and add your finish.

But in my opinion, the closest 5150 headstock replica is to be found at monsterguitarshop.com.
    Actually, to my eyes, this is the same!
    Here's the link, judge by yourself:

http://www.monsterguitarshop.com/pegheads.htm

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Berseker; 01.04.06 at 01:01 PM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I looked at the KWS, and I noticed it was a bit shorter then the original Kramer, still a great neck and if all else fails I will use it. But, the link you posted does have what I am looking for. I need to shoot these people an e-mail and see what kind of delivery time there is and ask a few other questions. Thank you for posting that link Berseker.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, no problem! I've just ordered a 5150 body from Monster Guitar Shop, they answer emails rather promptly and they're easy to deal with.
    I think they usually have quite a few necks and bodies in store and almost ready to be shipped. "Almost" because they take 3 or 4 days just to give your order some last minute prep.
    Good luck on your project!

I almost forgot...if you have an Ebay account try to find their Ebay store, their ID is monsterguitarshop, they might have exactly what you're looking for unles you want something real specific.
    Last edited by Berseker; 01.04.06 at 01:24 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure if you're talking about a 1984 Kramer non-tilt Baretta - the white one referred to as the "Kramer Ad Baretta" which appeared in an ad with Eddie. I haven't been able to find anyone who does these exact headstocks, but I'm sure there's some builders out there that do.

However, if you're talking about Eddie's "5150", that axe is not a baretta. It has a custom headstock that wasn't offered on any production model Kramers. The body is akin to a Pacer Special body - and even then - many propose that it is a bit different, and depending on the pictures you're viewing it is.

If you're looking for a 5150 neck, look no further than Customwoods. After being given the runaround by Monster Guitar Shop, and the same from another builder, I got a good deal on some Customwoods parts. I had the neck from the other builder delivered, but is not a professional job. Then I got Scott's neck - simply badass. Impeccable fretwork and flawless neck construction. His neck is spot on - try visiting vanhalenguitars.com to see Scott's amazing replica collection.

With that said, I'll suggest that you avoid Monster Guitar Shop like the plague. The guy seems knowledgable and friendly at first, but then it's "it'll ship out next week" or "I just have to fret it" or "I screwed up the last one, so I'm starting another one." On an on, till over two months later, I got fed up and called him on his horseshit. Basically said, it's on my doorstep by next week (since he said it was done), or I'll take a refund - I got the refund. Not to mention, guys that have got parts from him - they've had lots of problems and it hasn't been pretty.

Do what you want, but I suggest going with Customwoods - there is another dude - try greggrogers.com - Rols spec'd out their neck.

Shit, I forgot to mention Meanstreetguitars.com - he has a killer new Unchained model that looks pretty damn accurate - and it's a great price too.
    Last edited by TheMightyCopenHalenII; 01.04.06 at 04:29 PM.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berseker
    Hey, no problem! I've just ordered a 5150 body from Monster Guitar Shop, they answer emails rather promptly and they're easy to deal with.
    I think they usually have quite a few necks and bodies in store and almost ready to be shipped. "Almost" because they take 3 or 4 days just to give your order some last minute prep.
    Good luck on your project!

I almost forgot...if you have an Ebay account try to find their Ebay store, their ID is monsterguitarshop, they might have exactly what you're looking for unles you want something real specific.
    almost ready to be shipped from monsterguitar shop is not the "almost ready to be shipped" that you think. Be careful of monster guitarshop, the body that i ordered from them was not 100% satisfactory and i need to have some work done on it.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar08man
    almost ready to be shipped from monsterguitar shop is not the "almost ready to be shipped" that you think. Be careful of monster guitarshop, the body that i ordered from them was not 100% satisfactory and i need to have some work done on it.
    Oh yes I'm aware of that and I expect some work on the body I ordered but I'm pretty worried about the delays TheMightyCopenHalenII is talking about now...

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

11.12.08 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ordered the neck for my 5150 replica off of ebay.

Custom woods I think is the outfit

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sent out money to Scott the other day for a CustomWoods neck and body. Also got an original Floyd Rose on order from another vendor. Now all I need is some Schaller mini tuners, the spacetape and a good pickup (or I can use the spare Duncan JB I have for awhile)